Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=77b76407a40aff4a942a163df58ed67cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cara Dune Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Cara Dune Build Reply with quote

Welp...I'm going to guess Cara will fall in this detachment so I'm posting my build progress here to get started. If she lands in Rebel Supporters later, so be it. However, my gut tells me DB94 is the place for her so here I write my research and build woes. Wink

I've been slowly piecing this together since we saw the first images from D23 last year.

I went ahead and put together a glove tutorial for how I made mine and what I used. It can be found at the following link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/95oV7lV

I also purchased these pants at Walmart to use as the base.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-Millennium-Side-Zip-Pant/348476284?variantFieldId=actual_color

I will be adding the patterned panels to these pants with this fabric:
https://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yaya-han-stretch-fabric--black-scuba-hexagon/15469265.html#q=yaya%2Bhan%2Bscuba&start=1

I also purchased this for the piping on her pants.
https://www.joann.com/yaya-han-sew-on-viking-knot-pleather-trim-0.75-black/16526725.html#q=yaya%2Bhan%2Btrm&start=1

I will be using a black, stretch knit for the top and have a preliminary pattern already made for it.

Boots have been ordered from Crow Props and should be arriving in a few more weeks.

My friend is a stylist and we did a whole tutorial on how to do Cara's hair with long hair (mine reaches down to about 6 inches past the bottom of my bra strap). Here is a front and side shot of the finished look.

I will be using matching colored ribbon when I do it for real. Since this was a practice attempt, we used what was handy.

My friend is printing my armor for me and as soon as it is done, I will get started painting it and getting it attached. I'm thinking magnets are the way to go with this but still debating.

I've purchased 4 TK boxes to go on the back of my belt and have sanded, primed and painted them. Now I am going to weather them to get the worn out feel of Cara's.

I'm not sure yet how I am going to attach them but I'm sure something will come to me. Mr. Green

For the lower belt and gauntlets, I am using this material as a base.
https://www.joann.com/richloom-studio-upholstery-vinyl-san-francisco-aegen/16610628.html#q=vinyl&prefn1=prod_type&srule=keyword_search_rule&prefv1=Product&start=1

It really is a teal in real life but it's showing more of a green online. Anyway, I purchased 3/4 of a yard which should be more than enough for the gauntlet cuffs and the belt.

I'm slowly making headway and will post as I get more done.

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
PR/Social Media Team for Rogue Detachment
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Cloud City Leia, Vice Admiral Holdo, Cara Dune, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're thinking she falls here, too!

That hair tutorial!!!! That's amazing! That's been one of the big things that has been holding me back from considering this costume; I don't want to cut my hair or wear a wig. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that info!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: