Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e71bd40bab10f44a9a8338617790777bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TROS Rey - Standard Mock up - Ref Images - Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standard Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scavenger wrote:
Alex...
Just a couple of notes on the belt portion of the emerging standard.

1. Where it's noted : "The Belt is secured with two rectangular metals rings, the top belt’s being larger than the bottoms (proportional to the leather’s width.)"

The wording is a bit unclear, and I suggest it should read:

"The belt's upper and lower sections are secured each with a pair of rectangular metal rings, proportional to the width of each section of the belt."

2. Where it's noted: "· Belt is approximately 1.75 inches at the top and 1 inches at the bottom (approximately 3 inches at the conjoined part, proportional to the wearer). The top section must be wider than the bottom."

I agree that the total width is approx. 3", and that the top portion is approx. 1-3/4". That necessarily makes the bottom portion approx. 1-1/4" wide, instead of the 1" given above.

I am loving the clarity of the standard so far. Well done, Rey Judges! This is shaping up to be the finest written standard to date Smile

#ScavengeOn

Thank you! As stated above, I don't work with leather so any comments and help on that are GREATLY appreciated. I will edit those in as well.
scavenger (kristen jones)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the holster section, my thoughts:

Holster
· The leather or leather-like holster is attached to the lower belt. It is medium to dark brown leather, similar in color to the belt, arm cuff, and bracer.

Agree 100%

· Holster is simple and void of decoration. (Optional: 2 metal studs/rivets secure the leather in the front). (DO WE WANT THE RIVETS TO BE OPTIONAL?)

Personally, i would not like to see the rivets be optional, as they are quite prominent.

· Narrow thigh strap wraps around the wearer’s right leg and is secured by a rectangular metal buckle and a button stud.

You might add that the rectangle rings are secured with an "X" stitch (as with previous versions) as new pics have revealed it to be present, where it was previously thought not to exist.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in the belt section that it prolly should be noted that the rectangle rings don't appear to be fastened with "X" stitches like the previous belts were. I haven't seen them evidenced in any pictures so far. That requires gluing the ends of the belts down instead of tying with "X" stitches, so that should probably be addressed in there. Smile
Quialastaris ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riathewolf wrote:
Updating having seen the movie, there is NO PLEAT. I repeat it is 100% what is seen on the display.

Are we 100% sure about this? I agree that the display costume has no pleat in the back and there are several scenes in the movie where there is no pleat, only a seam.
But there are some scenes were I could swear there is a pleat (especially at the relative beginning of the movie on Pasaana. I need to rewatch a third time to confirm every scene- but I watched with another Rey and we both looked at each other „pleat? Pleat!“)
I think they were so many different versions of this costume that they changed it up throughout the film. I‘m also not convinced that the hood is always constructed out of the same material. Sometimes it falls very flowy (like silk)- other times it falls a lot stiffer.
So I think it’s good if we keep material selection for the hood relatively open and only specify a color range.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughts on the description of the arm cuff and the wrist bracer...

I definitely think ya'll are on the right track to want to include some detail on how they are shaped and how they wrap. It's difficult to put into words, but I'll try some suggestions.

ARM CUFF:

Overall width of approx. 3", tapering down with 45 degree edges to a 2" width after it wraps the wearer's arm one time, then tapering down again to 1" width the second time that it wraps the wearer's arm. Slits are cut into the cuff at the point where each taper would pass through the previous wrapping, and the tail end is left loose but pressed down flat, possibly held with a magnet or velcro, which is not visible.

WRIST BRACER:

Unlike previous Rey wrist bracers, this version is all of one colour, and does not fold back on itself when wrapped around the wearer's wrist. Instead, it continually wraps around the wrist in the same direction 2 full times, and has a total of 6 slits cut into it, arranged in groups of 2, at appropriate intervals to facilitate it's fastening.

The tail end passes through the first set of slits (at the wide end of the bracer), then through the second pair of slits upon wrapping around the wrist. When the tail end passes the first set of slits the second time, it passes over them, and then the tail end is tucked into the last set of slits (very narrow ones)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quialastaris wrote:
riathewolf wrote:
Updating having seen the movie, there is NO PLEAT. I repeat it is 100% what is seen on the display.

Are we 100% sure about this? I agree that the display costume has no pleat in the back and there are several scenes in the movie where there is no pleat, only a seam.
But there are some scenes were I could swear there is a pleat (especially at the relative beginning of the movie on Pasaana. I need to rewatch a third time to confirm every scene- but I watched with another Rey and we both looked at each other „pleat? Pleat!“)
I think they were so many different versions of this costume that they changed it up throughout the film. I‘m also not convinced that the hood is always constructed out of the same material. Sometimes it falls very flowy (like silk)- other times it falls a lot stiffer.
So I think it’s good if we keep material selection for the hood relatively open and only specify a color range.

So there were a few scenes that I could see the pleat starting to form but then saw the seam a little bit lower and it looked to be just how it moved? Like the fabric just sort of folds over itself and sometimes makes it look like a pleat. And then two seconds later the pleat was gone. At least that’s what the judges were seeing when we watched. That said, we could be wrong lol. But I never saw a scene where it was strictly a pleat and didn’t like randomly open when she moved.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weighing in on the rivets in the holster. I think they should be optional. I actually find them hard to see in most scenes and in fact used one scene as evidence they were NOT there and that we were back to the first version of the holster. I was wrong on this, as when I looked more, I saw them, but at the end of the day, they are very minor and I think if we can help people have to make one less brand new piece for this version of Rey, we should. No member of the general public is going to notice this detail, and I think all previously approved holsters (with or without rivets and with or without the edge stitching) should be approved.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Adianu (Sherry Thaxton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am struggling with the part that states the collar is attached with a French seam. Is this specifically true or is there some other detail that is actually the aim- like no visible edges? I am familiar with French seams and searched high and low for how to apply this for collar a with no luck... In fact, several tutorials stated French seams are difficult for curves such as collars. Maybe I’m just missing something here but wanted to check for clarity’s sake.

Also, is it possible to consider a slightly narrower tabard? Tulle tends to come in 54” width, so if we could have 27” rather than 30” it would enable us to split the width on a bolt and buy half the fabric (assuming that like for Jakku Rey it’s acceltable to have a seam).
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adianu wrote:

Also, is it possible to consider a slightly narrower tabard? Tulle tends to come in 54” width, so if we could have 27” rather than 30” it would enable us to split the width on a bolt and buy half the fabric
(assuming that like for Jakku Rey it’s acceltable to have a seam).

Even if there's no visible seam, the key word is visible. Under the obi, under the belt, at the gathers...all are good places to hide a seam to save on length of fabric.

As for width, I haven't researched this costume enough to say yet, but personally, I think having an exact measurement is nuts. Different body sizes and stuff are going to mean that variances will need to be accepted.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/GWxHHra

This is what I'm attempting to describe. My terminology could totally be wrong XD.

As for the width of the wraps, I'll go ahead and remove the 30 inches. I think my reasoning behind having it there was we so often get wraps on Rey submissions that are too thin. But you guys are correct. Every body is different and what I'm honestly looking for personally as a judge currently on this costume is: Do the gathers look right? And is the flow correct? That said, I think a lot of the girls using silk tulle are using the full width of the tulle and not splitting it.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion was had by the judges and a choice was made to put the pleat back in as an optional. So we are currently accepting seam with no pleat. Or very narrow box pleat. As the references are inconsistent.
Neferet (Natalia Telias)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Here, a list of the original fabrics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Asw9tAdrsZymkEw28
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read what was written for the holster and noticed one thing not listed. It is a small thing but we may want to include it. If you refer to this image here:

https://www.refinery29.com/images/9078019.jpg?format=webp&width=720&height=864&quality=85

You can see that the loop of the holster has a small "X" in twine/thread by the closure area. Since we require that stitching for Rey's other belts etc we may want to do so for this as well.
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scavenger wrote:
I forgot to mention in the belt section that it prolly should be noted that the rectangle rings don't appear to be fastened with "X" stitches like the previous belts were. I haven't seen them evidenced in any pictures so far. That requires gluing the ends of the belts down instead of tying with "X" stitches, so that should probably be addressed in there. Smile

Thanks for pointing that out! I realized the difference when I was making mine. Gluing it close worked great.
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Ashlyn_Dubreas ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is there any talk of other accessories/optional pieces? ie. The sith dagger, sith wayfinder, the jacket she wears in the C3-P0 memory erasing scene etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standard Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: