Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aed06a98893fc40f960a42929c2fdbedMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TROS Rey - Standard Mock up - Ref Images - Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standard Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: TROS Rey - Standard Mock up - Ref Images - Discussion Reply with quote

The time is drawing near! We have not been accepting applications for TROS Rey but we will be once the movie is out. So I wanted to post what the Rey judges have been discussing as things to look for. Please note! This is by no means an official standard and there will be a discussion and voting on that as always. This is just want we have been compiling and we wanted to be as upfront with you guys as we can!

TROS Rey

Shirt
· The shirt is cream or off-white with a V neck made of a knit fabric and is lined in the same or similar light weight fabric.
· The shirt should end at the wearer’s hips and the bottom of the shirt is unfinished/unhemmed.
· The shirt has a standing collar attached with a french seam.
· The shirt has cap sleeves. Optional: the shoulders also have a faux raglan detail
· The edges of the neckline, collar and cap sleeves and raglan shoulder details are finished with a blanket-stitch or whip-stitch detail.
· There is a lined hood attached around the collar, with the corners of the hood attached at the front point of the collar. There is a center seam with two darts on either side. (OPTIONAL: The hood may have a narrow box pleat down the center.) The hood extends down the wearer’s back to a few inches above the belt. The hood is made from different fabric than the shirt, but of the same or similar off-white color: the outer hood is a suede or suede-like fabric, and the lining is either the same or lighter weight fabric of the same colors. There is a seam on the outside center of the hood starting at the base and extending about half the length of the hood.

Obi
· The obi (cloth waist belt) is an off white/cream color made of the same or similar fabric to the tabards.
· The obi is 1-2 inches wider than the upper belt but should not be so wide that it covers the entire waist.
· The obi is worn over the tabard/wrap dress and under the belt

Tabards/Wrap Dress
· The wrap is white or slightly off-white in color and made of a thin, lightweight gauze, such as silk tulle or similar material. Heavier crinkle gauze is not acceptable for this costume.
The wrap is very wide but gathered at the shoulders. It crosses over the breasts in the front with right side crossing over the left, as well as crossing right over left in the back.
· The loop of the wrap falls to the lower knee on the wearer’s left. The loose ends fall to their right side. With both extending to the top of the boot. The wrap is worn under the obi and belt, except for the loose piece on the front right, which hangs over the lower belt.

Belt
· Belt is a brown weathered belt, made of leather or leather-like material.
· Belt is constructed of one continuous piece that splits into the two belts. The joined portion is on the wearer’s left and the separated sections and belt closures are on the wearer’s right.
· The belt's upper and lower sections are secured each with a pair of rectangular metal rings, proportional to the width of each section of the belt.
· Twine wraps around the belt at the conjoined section in the front.
· Belt is approximately 1-3/4 inches at the top and 1-1/4 inches at the bottom (approximately 3 inches at the conjoined part, proportional to the wearer). The top section must be wider than the bottom.
· Buckles on bottom loop of gunbelt should be placed on the back, behind the holster (buckles should not be hidden under holster; buckles and closure of lower loop should not be in front of holster).
· Belt has one keeper (or slit) after each metal ring to secure the loose end folded over.
· There is a silver metallic rectangular weathered buckle on the lower belt found right after the split.
· OPTIONAL: there is a horizontal slit in the belt right behind the twine used to hold the lightsaber.

Pants
· Pants are a white and made of heavy-weight fabric such as suede, microsuede, twill, or denim. The color should be the lightest/whitest color on the costume. The pants fabric should be thick enough so that they are not see-through.
· There is a vertical seam down the front and back of each pant leg, with one row of stitching on each side of the seam.
· The pants are closely fitted and the full length comes to just below the knee, with a short slit on the outside of the knee. The hem of the pants and slit is finished.
· There are elongated octagonal knee pads that have five ridges, the middle ridge being larger than the rest.

Arm Wraps
· The arm wraps are made from a thin leather or leather-like material, such as pigskin or goat skin, and are light beige to taupe in color.
· They extend from the wearer’s wrist to just below their elbow and have a seam closure on the inside of the arm, which runs half way down the wrap. It is then finished by wrapping the leftover leather around the wrist.

Upper Arm Cuff
· The upper arm cuff is a medium brown the same or similar in color to the belt, and made of a leather or leather-like material.
· It is worn on the wearer’s upper right arm.
(MAYBE INCLUDE A LITTLE MORE DETAIL ABOUT HOW IT WRAPS?)

Wrist Bracer
· The wrist bracer is a medium to dark brown leather or leather-like material, similar in color to the belt and arm cuff.
· It is worn on the wearer’s left arm, over the arm wraps.
(MAYBE INCLUDE A LITTLE MORE DETAIL ABOUT HOW IT WRAPS, AND THAT IT IS DIFFERENT FROM PREVIOUS COSTUME BRACERS.)

Holster
· The leather or leather-like holster is attached to the lower belt. It is medium to dark brown leather, similar in color to the belt, arm cuff, and bracer.
· Holster is simple and void of decoration. (Optional: 2 metal studs/rivets secure the leather in the front). (DO WE WANT THE RIVETS TO BE OPTIONAL?)
· Narrow thigh strap wraps around the wearer’s right leg and is secured by a rectangular metal buckle and a button stud.

Boots
· The boots are light beige or cream colored linen or linen-like fabric, with matching leather or leather-like detail on the heel and back of the boot.
· The soles are slightly darker than the main boot and are flat (no heel.)
· The top of the boot ends just above the ankle.
· The heel of the boot is leather or leather-like in a slightly darker color than the fabric of the boot. A strip of the same material goes up the back of the boot, with two attached loops for lacing.
· The boot is laced in the back by threading cream cord through two leather-like loops on each side and single loop attached to the strip on the back of the boot. Ends of the laces are tucked in so as not to be seen.
- The screen-used boots are the same or very similar to Po-Zu Rey boots in Natural Linen.

Hair
· Hair is done in a bubble ponytail style down the back of the head from crown to nape, with three bubbles total.
· The first bubble is created by sectioning just above the ears and sits at the crown of the head. The second (and largest) bubble is at the center of the back of the head. The third bubble ends at the nape of the neck. All loose hair at the bottom should be tucked up and under the third bubble.
· The bubbles should have volume to them.
· All natural hair colors are accepted; brown preferred.

Optional Items
· Staff: The staff should be proportional to the costumer’s height. It should be about 3-4” (15.24 cm to 20.32cm) above the head of the costumer when held straight up. Two H-shaped leather “harnesses”, each with a metal D-ring, attach to the strap with snaps. The staff has a weathered tan strap that attaches to those D-rings with metal clasps. Staff is extremely detailed and will be compared to the photo references to determine closeness in detailing for approval. Staff is metallic black. All pieces should be weathered.
· Rey’s Episode Nine Reconstructed Graflex. No toy sabers, No Ultimate FX Short saber. The lightsaber may be a static prop (hilt-only). If bladed it must be Blue.
· Blaster – LPA NN14: See Visual Dictionary reference for details. Blaster is worn in the holster.

Reference Images
https://imgur.com/a/p26VrGG

Please feel free to discuss and ask questions here! Thank you to Jenna for her images and notes on this.

Last edited by riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer) on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:29 pm; edited 8 times in total
Jenna Reyfenn (Arianna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for this mockup, it is so helpful, I’ll use it to retouch my costume! And if I can help, I am available 😉✌🏻

Hi, I'm Arianna!
UCGR Member:Rey Scavenger
KJO Member:Rey (Scavenger, TLJ, Island Training, Skywalker, Resistance)
In progress: Connix, Allegiance Comic and Batuu Rey, Picnic Padme
Oraculo (Agustin)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alexandra!

Excellent. If you want, I will open the thread on KJO Development Standards.

Yours!
�Legion Costume Judge 2016 - 2020
BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
TCO Templo Pucar� 2015-16
Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14
Oraculo (Agustin)
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oraculo wrote:
Hello Alexandra!

Yours!

Which this discussion thread was open, where we can publish it with the new format that the Standard Costume will have.

Yours!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oraculo wrote:
Hello Alexandra!

Yours!

Hey Agustin!!

Thank you so much! We might want to wait for the movie to come out for an official thread? In case of any big things we could be missing here.

I defer to what you think is best!
Oraculo (Agustin)
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riathewolf wrote:
Oraculo wrote:
Hello Alexandra!

Yours!

Hey Agustin!!

Thank you so much! We might want to wait for the movie to come out for an official thread? In case of any big things we could be missing here.

I defer to what you think is best!

Hi Alex!

Yes, no problem. I know that anxiety is extreme for this new Costume. I read the proposal and saw the images, and it's great. Excellent work done by the Rey's Jugdes.

I will see that this proposal is proposed with the new format with the Template that we have in the KJO (and is common in all the Detachments), from which all necessary modifications can be made. Any questions, available to apply all the resources of the KJO in the process of assembling this Costume Standard.

Yours! Amadalia
Neferet (Natalia Telias)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muy bien detallado todo!
Lo único en lo que estoy en desacuerdo es en el ancho del cinto. Creo que 5cm y 4cm es más correcto por lo que se ve en proporción en las figuras e imágenes de la película.
Oraculo (Agustin)
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neferet wrote:
Muy bien detallado todo!
Lo único en lo que estoy en desacuerdo es en el ancho del cinto. Creo que 5cm y 4cm es más correcto por lo que se ve en proporción en las figuras e imágenes de la película.

Hola Nati

Muchas gracias por el aporte y las observaciones. Lo traduzco en inglés

Hello nati

Thank you very much for the input and the comments. I translate it in English

In English

Quote:
Very detailed everything!

The only thing I disagree with is the width of the belt. I think that 5 cm (1.9685 inches) and 4 cm (1.5748 inches) is more correct for what is seen in proportion in the figures and images of the film.

Saludos / Yours!
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've zoomed in on the hood reference picture so many time and really can't see it as two fabrics. The weave is the same on both. You can see the weft is the same on both and the grainline is the same The texture also appears the same. Additionally when I look at the seam the loft of both sides is the same indicating to me that its the same fabric.

Also, its a display reference and the hood in question doesn't have the pleat. I think the draft standard shouldn't say if its two fabrics or requiring the pleat until we have better pictures of the film used hood.

marishka (Miranda Brenner)
Great Lakes Base XO
Great Lakes Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me there are so many discrepancies between what we’ve seen from the trailers and promo images and the costume on display. There’s elements that don’t match up between the two. Shouldn’t what is seen in the movie trump what is on display? Displays have been known to be faulty in the past or be stunt versions where details don’t matter as much as the hero version of the costume.

Most notably in this are the hood and the pants. Box pleat versus seams and then if the back of the pants have seams or don’t. We have photos that negate one another. To reference the display in the proposed standard doesn’t seem like an accurate source.
werewolfcowgirl (Amanda Bond)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The hood is made from different fabric than the shirt, but of the same or similar off-white color:

I agree with my fellow Rebel Legion member above. I think the two different fabrics should be optional, not necessary. Here is my reasoning. In some promo shots and behind the scenes it does look like a heavier fabric was used for the hood. . On screen and in some displays it looks like be a lighter weight fabric. Ultimately I think there were probably two hoods, one that was used when it had to keep its shape while down and one that was lighter weight to use while she was being filmed with it up. I think the intention of the hood is to match the shirt and for that purposes it should be an option of the applicant/member if they want to use two fabrics or not.

I mean I definitely see what people are saying in some shots, but would you know the shot below that the fabrics were different?

And here is this display where the fabrics could be the same:

Overall I agree with most everything else in the standard, I just think the hood detail is a bit unnecessary for the character to be recognizable from 5-10 feet.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! Addressing everything here:

The belt: The measurements can totally be debated. Honestly I went with info from Kristen Jones on this one who I totally trust. But with judging we're always looking for proportions to the wearer and when we make the actual standard those measurements can change.

The Hood Lining: I personally see a difference between the two fabric layers. That said! I am not against changing the the actual standard to just talk about the hood being lined and not specifying, unless we get some definitive evidence. And for these first applications I can't imagine any of us are going to ask for a close up grain of your hood XD. So long as the hood looks right. I would think you would be good.

The Pleat: What we view in the movie is always going to trump what is on the display. Especially because we have examples of displays being wrong in the past. But that's why we have the note of we're not sure for the pleat. I think it's going to depend on what we see in the movie. If we get scenes where there is clearly no pleat. Then yes, I would say we should both.

Okay! I think that's everything. Also I want to say I know I'm a judge but my opinion is not at all the be all end all so I appreciate all of this! The more voices on things the better.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic.
I agree about removing the hood Fabric detail as well. I think it's great to maybe add it as an optional.

I'll also be honest. Having stared at thousands of approvals trying to get someone to find the exact same color creme as another one is going to lead to a bunch of Rey's with 3 different colored shirts and hoods cause it's "close" but not exact

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
This is fantastic.
I agree about removing the hood Fabric detail as well. I think it's great to maybe add it as an optional.

I'll also be honest. Having stared at thousands of approvals trying to get someone to find the exact same color creme as another one is going to lead to a bunch of Rey's with 3 different colored shirts and hoods cause it's "close" but not exact

Thank you!

I changed the fabric wording to be much less specific in the hood since that seems to be a universal suggestion.

For the color would you suggest we do something like the Jakku Rey Standard? Include a color range for example: The pants are the most white and the wrist wraps are the darkest piece and fill in from there? Do you think that would be easier to understand?
Oraculo (Agustin)
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

The proposal as a basis for starting the discussion of this new Costume is excellent, very detailed. It is true that there are differences between images and references. As we said before, the official discussion thread will open on Saturday, December 21, after the premiere of the film.

Even so, Alexandra's great contribution. It is very good to have a basic and complete proposal, and from there work to refine all the details.

Thank you all for the contributions, suggestions and opinions

Yours!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standard Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: