Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b6f641ddc4c724a1655175621fbbb3ecMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TCW Purple evening gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kira Rey (Valentina)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: TCW Purple evening gown Reply with quote

Hello! I’m Valentina (Kira Rey) from Rebel Legion Italian Base!

As recommanded, I opened a new topic for the judges about this dress. I would like to realize it but, there aren’t CRL standard and I could be the first! I found many references here:

https://diythegalaxyofstarwars.wordpress.com/2019/03/02/star-wars-the-clone-wars-padmes-purple-evening-gown/amp/

Can I used them or not? If I can’t, what can I do?

Thank you so much! 😊
VeroLeia94 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao Vale Smile .
I don't know this costume well, but this website, seems to me, like a good place to look. Laughing
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website looks to have excellent reference images for making this costume. Smile

One thing I can say it that you'll need to have a lot of boning and precision in your sewing when making this costume. It's not very forgiving in its design for errors.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Aglarwen (Elizabeth Martinez)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck on this build! I am especially intrigued to see how you will keep the sleeves up since they have no attachment to the dress at all.

Contact me at http://www.facebook.com/scarletstitchery/ for your costume needs!
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd use either a lot of fashion tape to stick it down (that's how my lake gown stays where I want it) or use illusion mesh that matches your skin tone to provide structure. Best of luck!
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gown makes no physical sense so naturally I'm really excited to see someone attempt it. Laughing

As for references, that site has great ones pulled directly from the show so you'll be good to use them. The challenge will be to make a wearable dress that looks like the reference. I've mulled it over in the purely theoretical sense, and I think a custom corset is probably the way to go. That and like... just a ridiculous amount of fashion tape. Maybe cheat the sides back a little to give the dress a little bit more hold on your body.

This dress is a fascinating engineering challenge so I'll definitely be following.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 'engineering challenge' indeed! If any can pull this off I'll be sat on by a Hutt! Very Happy Very interesting project.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to see someone try this!

If it helps, I have a few more references here: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/padme-amidala-the-clone-wars-backless-evening-gown/

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Kira Rey (Valentina)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks everyone for the reply!

The critical point is that (as also told in the references) it is a drawing, so it will never be the same in real life!

Anyway:

- to have it holding on by itself, it will use some transparent straps having only a little strap behind. This because the hypothesis of the skin color fabric would be too visible in my opinion. In the case the idea won't work/hold, and I can’t keep the dress up the only other option would be the one you suggested.

- for the ”mermaid's tail” and to give that effect, some tulle fabric will be used in the lining underneath the dress to make sure it will make that effect;

- about the drawing we were thinking about a flat embroidery instead of drawing them on the fabric, because they wouldn't be much visible otherwise;

- to wear it on it will be very likely I'll need a zipper, but it will be always invisible!

For fabric if I will find it, We were thinking about something a little elastic because it look like a second skin, for example velvet or similar that can also“change colour” like the drawing.

The project will begin really soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: