Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8d07705e8fd3aac80b83dabb19ed66e7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Double Jawa WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuiGonJyn ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Double Jawa WIP Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm in the process of making a couple of Jawas for my sister and I, and I am definitely in need of guidance!

I started out on my sister's robes yesterday - after two cancelled online orders, many phone calls, and a few angry Joann's employees, I ended up with a full bolt of uncut monk's cloth. A little excessive, but I figured this would give us plenty of fabric for her robe, and both our hoods and boots.

I dyed it with the 2:1 ratio of Rit Dark Brown and Sunshine Orange, as recommended by many past Jawas. This is where the trouble began. The first few yards I dyed (hood & boot pieces) came out lovely and solid, but the actual cut of fabric I used to make the robe came out very patchy. I'm not sure what I did differently or why the dye didn't take to this piece.

I decided to carry on sewing the robe with plans to dye again later because we live in different cities and didn't have much time together. I used a pattern from a local 501st Jawa, and I think it fits pretty well, but my sister is on the bustier side and wants to cover the chest a bit more - we figure with a the right undergarments, a vest, and the bandolier she'll be more comfortable.

I'm planning to do the hood, boots, and mask this weekend (I'm a prop maker - I think I'll find this much easier than the robe!). Questions for now: does anyone know a good way to redye the robe? Should I just dunk it again in the same Rit dyes, or use a spray bottle, or something else? And does anyone have a good reference for a Jawa vest? It's an optional accessory in the CRL but I haven't really seen many in the wild.

Also welcoming any other pointers and changes to be made Smile

https://i.imgur.com/N3Pkdwn.jpg

Note: the neckline was unfinished and the length needs to be trimmed in this photo
QuiGonJyn ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to this WIP after doing the bulk of the rest of the work on this costume - just waiting for a bandolier and sound glove to arrive, and to make any corrections anyone offers Smile

Robe: I ended up doing another dye bath, this time with half the amount of dye (one Rit Dark Brown, half Rit Sunshine Orange). This corrected the splotchy original dye, but washing and drying did end up shrinking the robe a bit more, which didn't help the chest tightness issue, but overall I'm happy with it.

The lighting in this photo makes it look more washed out than my original photo, but in real life they are the same color. Note that the length still needs to be trimmed and one sleeve is bunched up in the armpit which makes it look uneven, but it's all good IRL.

Hood: I used the standard hood pattern but added a couple inches across to allot for the size of the mask, as it sticks out from the face an inch or two on its own. I ended up with a hood that was 20" across (including seam allowances). I don't have a good picture, but I also roughly cut the straps and hemmed the edges to keep them from fraying too much. The inside is lined with a soft black jersey cotton.

I used this corset boning to keep the shape of the opening: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Garment-Accessories/White-Featherlite-Boning---1-2/p/52431 I ended up taking the fabric off the boning to make it easier to slide through the hood, and it works very well to keep the shape.

I have a couple questions about the hood: is the opening too big? And the selvage edge is visible on the inside of the hood because I liked the look - is this okay, or do I need to fold it over once more to neaten it up more?

Boots: I found this pair of off-brand Ugg boots for $12 at a Dollar Store near me. I cut the buttons and ties off and roughly hand stitched the parts together along the fur. I used the extra fabric to cut strips and patches and used a combination of E6000 and hot glue adhere them to the boots; both products worked equally well.

Gloves: I bought these gloves from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/fun-Anti-UV-Breathable-Wedding-Touchscreen/dp/B07C85QPZB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=long+black+gloves+touchscreen&qid=1573607347&sr=8-4 They're a non-shiny, slightly stretchy type material and reach almost all the way up to the shoulder. They're also very breathable and touchscreen compatible - highly recommend!

Eyes and mask: Easily my favorite part of this build! The base of the mask was a steel-mesh visor from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-WELHG70-HG-70-headgear/dp/B01N1I2J20/ref=pd_cp_469_3/146-0379646-1550947?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N1I2J20&pd_rd_r=8904d84d-8ec5-4321-b5a7-5e7f810daafe&pd_rd_w=9kRN9&pd_rd_wg=UlQ6y&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=MR0H0XEZVJ1JJB2WXQ5P&psc=1&refRID=MR0H0XEZVJ1JJB2WXQ5P I used a piece of jersey cotton to cover the face and hot glued the edges to the inside of the mask and roughly cut some eye holes. It's very opaque, but also very hot. I will probably go with the speaker cloth recommendation for the next one.

I used these eyes from HyperspaceProps on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/642841958/jawa-eyes?ref=shop_home_active_15&frs=1 Absolutely recommend them! They twist for on/off, have a replaceable battery, and are much easier to deal with than wires and battery packs. I glued 12mm round craft magnets to the back of them, and placed the other magnets on the inside of the mask. This means I can move them around and change the placement if need be, but they're also secure enough to stay put all day.

That's all for now! I still have some finishing touches to add (trimming, weathering, etc) but the bulk of the work is done. Any suggestions and critiques are very much welcome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: