Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b1703735fb3ae7734dda61303331c363Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itty bitty progress! I picked up fabric for my vest. There's a big workshop day this weekend for our Base's group build, so hopefully things will start coming together soon. Funny story: I picked out the fabric just by finding the best candidate, holding it up against the actual flightsuit I'll be wearing. I got home, and added to my fabric collection, and noticed some similar fabric in the bag. Pulled it out, and did some checking, and realized the new fabric was the exact same fabric I used for the Endor Rebel trooper vest! Ha!

Picked up some cloth for a lining for this vest, too. We'll see whether I actually use it, but at least I have it on hand. Smile

Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That color looks great for the vest. Everything looks great so far.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still pulling together materials for the vest build. Picked up some tan Velcro today, for the vest closure. Hopefully I'll have time to sit down with the various resources I've collected, and get started sewing on that soon!

Meanwhile, I did decide to try out the Tillman 650 welding gloves. I believe I read people have sanded out the logo, so assuming that comes out ok, I just need the greeblie and I'll be done with the gloves!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you get leather paint and paint over the logo (if the sanding doesn’t work that is!)?

Looking forward to seeing more progress from ya! Keep it up! Smile

In Progress: Battle Handmaiden, Yavin Operations Officer
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryamla wrote:
I wonder if you get leather paint and paint over the logo (if the sanding doesn’t work that is!)?

Looking forward to seeing more progress from ya! Keep it up! Smile

It's suede, so paint would be tricky. I do have a few ideas I could try, though.

Another option (although it would only work for Hangar Trooper, not the pilot) is to go with the larger greeblie, which would completely cover at least one of them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
I'm still pulling together materials for the vest build. Picked up some tan Velcro today, for the vest closure. Hopefully I'll have time to sit down with the various resources I've collected, and get started sewing on that soon!

Meanwhile, I did decide to try out the Tillman 650 welding gloves. I believe I read people have sanded out the logo, so assuming that comes out ok, I just need the greeblie and I'll be done with the gloves!

Those were my first pair as well and I quickly found something even better. I did not like the cuff flare, the finish / color, and they are bulky and kind of stiff, for me. I found these instead. I ordered 2 pairs. One pair had a logo on them that I sanded and the other did not. They are perfect in my eyes. Another option any ways.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portwest-A520-Leather-Tig-Welders-Gauntlet-Work-Gloves-Welding-Safety-Workwear/162607050321?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
Those were my first pair as well and I quickly found something even better. I did not like the cuff flare, the finish / color, and they are bulky and kind of stiff, for me. I found these instead. I ordered 2 pairs. One pair had a logo on them that I sanded and the other did not. They are perfect in my eyes. Another option any ways.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portwest-A520-Leather-Tig-Welders-Gauntlet-Work-Gloves-Welding-Safety-Workwear/162607050321?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Interesting. Those are pretty cheap, too. I might give them a try. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP Reply with quote

Bumping my own thread with a nothing-burger update, as this is progressing SLOWLY. Life has been crazy busy. And I keep helping others with their own costuming instead of working on my own stuff, LOL!

I have remaining:

Complex:
  1. The Vest. Still the last complicated piece. I'm still hoping to try to make the vest myself, else I'll go with an Etsy vendor. Smile

Aside from the vest, all that's left is truly simple stuff:
  1. Gloves (I have the Tillman welding gloves in hand, but I also ordered the Portwest ones Jeffrey recommended above. One way or the other, this is done the moment the greeblie is attached. I'm going to buy the Pilot-style greeblie from Pilot Bay so I can do a Snowspeeder Pilot with the same gloves.)
  2. Hoth rank badge (I'll likely 3D print this myself),
  3. Cloth rank badge (I need to iron the one I purchased from Etsy onto some fabric, and sew it onto the flightsuit, similar to the originals), and
  4. Scarf (again, simple to find on Amazon, else just a length of fabric).

If I have extra time, I'll make some Hoth-style shoe covers and make some winter boots. Those will come in handy for the Pilot (if optional) and if I ever get around to it, Hoth Han.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the PortWest gloves came today! Jeffrey was right... I definitely like these better than the Tillman's. I think the Tillman's would work, but these seem more accurate, are more pleasant to wear (thinner leather... prob not as good for actual welding, though! LOL), and are a bit cheaper, to boot. Smile Took 3.5 weeks to arrive in California from England, though, so be aware!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the stamped logos from the gloves was a bit of a bear.

I first tried sandpaper, as I've read many recommend. It did get a LOT of the ink (or whatever) off, but not entirely. This is before and after sanding... that said, the left glove stamp was a bit darker than the right glove from the start, so the stamp on the right there is sort of "best case", for sanding. I could have gone farther but I was starting to get nervous about getting it too thin, depending on how deep the ink had penetrated, and ruining the gloves.

Oh, funny story: On account of that stain, I decided to try to wet down the suede and even things out, on that right glove. The color change when water hits these gloves is DRAMATIC. The top glove part, too, not just the cuff. I really worried I had ruined them. The glove was GRAY and the cuff was a bizarre mottled dark gray. But I left them outside to dry overnight, and what you see here is how they look now, so it all works out fine once they dry. Smile (the left glove had never touched water, and the right glove was thoroughly wet, and now they look the same again) Once I weather these, I might add some waterproofing to these, to try to help with that, though.

I asked around, and acetone was recommended as a followup. The acetone helped, for the most part, reduce the recognizability of the stamp, which is good, but sort of made the ink bleed out into a big dark blotch, which isn't ideal. That said, it's pretty close, and once these are weathered a bit I think it'll be just fine. Especially for the darker left glove... that spot will be mostly covered by the Comm greeblie anyway. As a warning, the acetone also soaked through both layers of suede (top and bottom) and left sort of a water stain on the bottom. That said, again, a little weathering and tiny things like that will disappear. So overall I'm quite pleased.

And speaking of the Comm greeblie, PilotBay came through! Very nice clean work.

These gloves should be done this weekend!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloves are done!

Glove weathering was easy... I had a high-grit sandpaper stick I usually use for metal (like Imperial rank bars), with lots of embedded aluminum dust. A couple of wipes on the suede, and it transferred nicely and worked in so well I don't think I could remove it if I wanted. LOL

Greeblie weathering was just the usual watered-down black acrylic paint, and a dab or two with a wet paper towel that had a hit of black spray paint added.

I positioned the greeblie a bit towards the wrist, rather than dead center, based on how Luke's was positioned:

I just wish I had managed to work on my vest more this past weekend, but at least a little progress was made, in terms of prepping some basic shape patterns.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one step forward, half step back.

I FINALLY got started on my Vest this weekend. Have the main vest panels and badge pocket cut out, and the interfacing for the back of the panels.

I used the Endor Trooper pattern from Grey Jedi for the base pattern, simply extending the length since these vests are longer. I also added an inch to front panels so they'll overlap to close (with Velcro). Fingers crossed!

A local base member had worked out the badge pocket sizes, so I used her pattern for that. So far just the frame cut out... once I get the actual badge, I'll verify the measurements and size the inside pocket to match.

Next comes the topstitched squares, which was as much of a PITA as I expected, and then some, measuring out all the lines nice and precisely... in each direction. (first one, then the other)

I was quite pleased with how well the first panel turned out!

But that's where things had gone wrong. FORTUNATELY I had started late, and I had stopped for night after just the one panel.

I used 3x3" squares. Apparently I should have used 4x4" squares? *FACEPALM*

So I'm going to need to toss this panel, cut a new one, and re-do this one. Thank goodness I hadn't proceeded farther! And the process is a bit more dialed in, so the second time (and the other panel and the back panel) should go faster.

After everything is quilted (and re-done, and re-quilted), I'll move onto the pockets (easy), basic assembly (not too bad?) and the collar (GULP). And the lining. (eep!)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not as far as I hoped, but I've had progress.

I re-did the quilting on the vest, and got those panels all completed (only one additional misstep, quilting the back all the way to the top, but that was easy enough to pick out and convert to the yoke appearance... the stitching holes will close up nicely once washed, I checked!).

I 3D printed the badge, and sized the finished the badge pocket to it so I could sew that on, too. Still need to finish the badge, obviously, but that'll wait until the vest is done.

I finally got to assemble the panels and try it on, and unfortunately it's a bit big. Fortunately at this stage it's still relatively simple to cut it down a little, on the shoulders and sides, and re-attach the panels, before proceeding to the lining and the collar.

I wasn't happy with the lining fabric I had chosen for breathability reasons, so I decided to pick up some simple 100% cotton muslin instead. Once I pre-wash (read: pre-shrink) the fabric, I can start on the lining, and the collar.

Baby steps...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr: That Vest is DONE!!! *Finally*.

I cut the lining out of some nice thin muslin, using the same pattern as the main panels. That meant, of course, that the same trimming I did to the main body had to be copied onto the lining.

Snipping the same width from the shoulder, and a quick seam up the sides later, and the lining was good to go.

Nothing more I could do to delay the collar (LOL) so I finally started on that, measuring out the length of the collar line and expanding the collar pattern I had been loaned to fit my MUCH larger frame. Following a tip, I made a "second" collar from the muslin liner. That way the final collar, from the main fabric, would be neat and tidy and the stuffing wouldn't be in my way.

Collar, stuffed, with the two patterns behind it. The outside/bottom of the collar is smaller, and has interfacing to keep it smooth, while the inside/top (against the neck) is allowed to pillow out a bit more.

Next I spent a good hour or more angsting about how to deal with the collar and vest lining. Finally, I settled on options I could wrap my brain around, and started pinning the collar into place, in between the lining and the outer vest.

And then stitched that whole huge sandwich of cloth together.

I flipped it around, right-side out, and holy moly, a vest is starting to emerge!

While it was all still accessible, I decided to add a pocket inside. BECAUSE I COULD. LOL

I finally attached the liner all the way around, flipped the vest one last time, top-stitched around the perimeter to hold everything in place. I started on the velcro and managed to run out of thread in my bobbin halfway through, ARGH. Called it quits for the night, but otherwise, very pleased with that I have here. Smile

FINALLY DONE!!!

Interior:

Exterior:

Here she is, on:

NEXT STEPS:

Obviously I need to sand, paint, and weather the chest badge.

The soft hat should be finished pretty soon, by PilotBay. Excited to get it! I'm getting it with the comm device, since theirs is really nice.

I bought the iron-on patch for the flightsuit, so I need to apply that... just need to decide if I'm going to apply it directly or to a scrap of cloth that I stitch on, in the more screen-accurate manner.

I think that's it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: