Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4f4c6fa737fa2e7caa33c3275570cb13Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Knight Revan (SWGOH) Questions/WIP/Build thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Jedi Knight Revan (SWGOH) Questions/WIP/Build thread Reply with quote

As the title says, this project is Jedi Knight Revan from the mobile game Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. While in large part identical to the Star Forge Robes standard already approved, this version adds a Mask and a raised Hood.

Thankfully the character selection screen lets you rotate the model 360 degrees, so reference material is pretty good to go.

Mask:
Concept art and screen captures showing the mask:

Of note is that the chin omits the customary rivet details in favor of more simple geometry (such small greeblies would be invisible on a smartphone screen), and incorporates a central bridge from chin to nose.

In contrast with Darth Revan, the dark areas seem to be darker, and the colored areas brighter, more metallic.

So I’m using this mask (shown with sample Darth Revan paint job) off of Thingiverse. I’m in the process of remolding the chin using Apoxie, and have cut grooves into the nose panel to extend the central bridge
All the way up. There is no reference material for the forehead; neither the concept art nor the character model make that visible, so I’m extrapolating based on other incarnations.

I plan to paint the black-bordered areas a metallic slate or pewter, red in a metallic red, yellow in an antique gold, and orange in a copper finish, though the central bridge I will probably blend into metallic red below the nose region, to reflect the differential highlight.

I think the top bar of the “T” panel is best represented as the horizontal surface of the visor slit, though I would love a judge to weigh in on this call. It wouldn’t be impossible to use Apoxie to fill in the nose panel at its top margin and cut a groove below it to form a bottom bar for the visor.

My last area of planning is the robe. While the concept art shows a Mandarin collar, the final model has a simple turtleneck. The leather parts are essentially identical to the Star Forge Robes.

Where it departs from the existing standard is the fabric. It appears to be a lighter shade of ivory or cream, with no discernible weave. Need a costume judge to grant me the permission to move forward on this assumption. Hood dimensions would likewise be adjusted to follow the correct volume of the hood in the raised position, without regard to where it falls on the back.

Lightsaber:

Bizarrely, JKR uses Kit Fisto’s lightsaber hilt in the game with a Purple blade. However, so does Darth Revan (in red), so I believe the most appropriate reading of this is a decision made to save themselves the trouble of creating a new graphical element, and this should properly be read as being Revan’s canonical hilt design, since it appears with Darth Revan as well.

Feedback on these design choices is avidly desired!

Last edited by Grimwalker (Derrick Billings) on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putty sculpted, primed, sanded.
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on re sculpting the mask!

As far as I'm concerned, SWGOH Jedi Revan and Star Forge Revan are the same costume - any differences are merely due to art style, and I used the SWGOH images as reference for having the mask and hood when rewriting the standard for the new format.

I think the SWGOH mask is different enough that you could use either SWGOH or KotOR style masks, but I think for the fabric I'd want to see some kind of texture. As I said in the KJO group on facebook, I'd be worried that a textureless fabric would make the costume look flat and unrealistic, and I think the only reason not to display texture on the SWGOH model is the low resolution.
With the hood, it's possible to make it so that it can be worn either up or down and still have the right shape - I designed mine with the shape from the KotOR model in mind, but also constructed it so that it looked similar to the 'hood up' Darth version when I put it up. I'll see if I've got a pattern or photos lying around.

And as far as the lightsaber goes, SWGOH's recent Relic update gave Revan their KotOR hilt rather than Kit Fisto's, but lightsabers can be difficult and as long as it's not an obvious hero hilt, it won't be scrutinised too carefully.

Good luck with your build!

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
Jedi Knight/Star Forge Revan
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my references are from the thread here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92733&highlight=revan

Was planning to at least do a mock-up of this pattern:
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some good info in that thread, good call.

And yeah, that's kind of where I started with the tunic, though I put the slot for the keyhole neck at the back, made the sides/gores integral to minimise visible seams, and borrowed the shoulders and sleeves from my generic Jedi tunics for a better fit.

This is roughly what the front part of my tunic pattern looked like:

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll see if I can adapt that to my measurements. It looks like the skirt would be quite narrow without some side panels?
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side panels were worked into the main body, and I based the width at the base on my widest stride length so I could run in it if I needed to. I know Coryphefish was planning on making a wider skirt, but I'm not sure how far they got with it.

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: