Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bba8760f7a40aedf0317157988725629Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Resistance X-Wing Pilots - Briefing Room (proposal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC New Standard Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need to get that nit picky about the buckle color, silver, gunmetal or flat silver should be fine as a color description.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple initial observations.

Your part about the chaps:
"OPTIONAL: chap may end below the knee at the location of the webbing, provided that the lower hem of the chap is stitched down to the pant leg at this height with no visible top stitching."

If you have to get specific about the way the chap is stitched to the bottom of the knee, it IS top-stitched on the screen suits:

Jess Pava's from TFA:

Also, in the first photo above, you can see the slide buckles on the knee straps. They have remnants of dark green paint, which is likely an indicator that these are indeed off of British army field gear. I've been making my suits with either metal gray or chipped green paint finish, and both should be allowed (once again) if you're going to be that specific about it.

You mentioned that the leg cuffs should be finished straight... I have to disagree. Here's Jess' suit again, with elastic drawn cuffs:

Poe's leg cuffs appear to be straight, but you also do not see any hem stitching around the bottom. This is likely because he has rolled up his cuffs into the leg, they were probably too long (Oscar is short), and they didn't properly hem it. Elastic cuffs should be the starting standard... you can even see a few of the pilots in this shot from TLJ with them:

Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone brought up the flare bands... here are a couple shots of background pilots from TFA wearing them in various places:

(More of that elastic leg cuff action can be seen with these guys too)
Massiff Squadron CO

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More nit-pickings Smile

• "The suit has a “pen holder” strap running over the pleated panel on the upper left bicep. This strap must have three pen-sized loops."

You might go ahead and just call these the "arm loops", made from a strip of suit material about 1" wide. The loops are also 1" each (when flattened). There's no evidence these loops hold pens or ANYTHING for that matter.... although I have seen one pilot in the Legion stick flares into these loops.. Bang Head

-- "Pocket 5: A rectangular cargo pocket with lid overlaps with the outer flat edge of pocket 4."

This is actually an oddly-shaped pocket that no one else seems to get right. The bottom is rounded, and the top is angled downwards, with a rounded-off lid decorated with vertical parallel stitches (ala "Pocket-3"s front face). It also has an enigmatic tube-shaped strip of fabric top-stitched vertically to the face of the pocket, off-center:

ONE MORE THING......
You should also put in the option of sidearm Glie-44 blaster & holster, either TFA style (holster right on the belt) or TLJ style (holster drops-down with keeper strap around thigh).
Massiff Squadron CO

Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for reviving this effort! Obviously, there is going to need to be some major reformatting and rewording that goes on in converting this to the visual standard. Some of these wording refinements are definitely worth taking a look at, though!

Philonius wrote:
A couple initial observations.

Your part about the chaps:
"OPTIONAL: chap may end below the knee at the location of the webbing, provided that the lower hem of the chap is stitched down to the pant leg at this height with no visible top stitching."

If you have to get specific about the way the chap is stitched to the bottom of the knee, it IS top-stitched on the screen suits:

I will be honest, looking at this photo I only see the flat pressed seam, sans topstitching. This is especially notable compared to the very visible topstitching on the outer seam which is next to it. Do you happen to have a higher res version that show there is a visible stitching line there?

Philonius wrote:

Also, in the first photo above, you can see the slide buckles on the knee straps. They have remnants of dark green paint, which is likely an indicator that these are indeed off of British army field gear. I've been making my suits with either metal gray or chipped green paint finish, and both should be allowed (once again) if you're going to be that specific about it.

Awesome! None of the shots we were able to find until now showed that green paint. I still think metallic silver or gunmetal best describes what the overall color effect should be, but I am adding the remnants of dark green paint to the optional features.

Philonius wrote:

You mentioned that the leg cuffs should be finished straight... I have to disagree. Here's Jess' suit again, with elastic drawn cuffs.

Poe's leg cuffs appear to be straight, but you also do not see any hem stitching around the bottom. This is likely because he has rolled up his cuffs into the leg, they were probably too long (Oscar is short), and they didn't properly hem it. Elastic cuffs should be the starting standard... you can even see a few of the pilots in this shot from TLJ with them

The closeup you are showing of Jess looks like a fast sew on a rolled hem to me. That being said, some of those other photos are definitely compelling enough evidence to allow either option! I have edited accordingly.

Philonius wrote:

Someone brought up the flare bands... here are a couple shots of background pilots from TFA wearing them in various places:

Thanks for these! I think the current wording pretty well describes the range of placement seen in these photos, but they will be super helpful as we convert to the visual format.

Philonius wrote:

You might go ahead and just call these the "arm loops", made from a strip of suit material about 1" wide. The loops are also 1" each (when flattened). There's no evidence these loops hold pens or ANYTHING for that matter.... although I have seen one pilot in the Legion stick flares into these loops.. Bang Head

Yeah, I agree entirely. The "pen-sized" part was an attempt to describe the approximate range of different sizes we were seeing on screen, rather than a suggestion this should actually hold pens. Roughly an inch circumference for the loops seems to describe that about as well, though, so I am adjusting the wording accordingly.

Philonius wrote:
This is actually an oddly-shaped pocket that no one else seems to get right. The bottom is rounded, and the top is angled downwards, with a rounded-off lid decorated with vertical parallel stitches (ala "Pocket-3"s front face). It also has an enigmatic tube-shaped strip of fabric top-stitched vertically to the face of the pocket, off-center:

I will be honest - this closeup looks VERY different from the other ones we've been able to find. For example, the pockets seen in Geoff's post on August 9 of last year show pretty standard cargo pockets. I would say based on this closeup that the alternate pocket design shown here should probably be an alternate option for this pocket, rather than the standard recommendation. Do you have more photos of this particular pocket so we can create a good description for that item?

Philonius wrote:
You should also put in the option of sidearm Glie-44 blaster & holster, either TFA style (holster right on the belt) or TLJ style (holster drops-down with keeper strap around thigh).

I haven't been able to find screenshots of any pilots who were in briefing room version with the holster, though I definitely agree with including that for the main pilot standard. Could you provide some reference for briefing room pilots wearing the holster without vest/chestbox/etc.?
Pride Squadron Mod
Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Issue 12 Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Generic Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go back through my photo archive... I realized I didn't up load all the good ones I had to Imgur! Thanks to Denny Chin for most of these pics, BTW. So here we go:

Re: Stitching on bottom of chaps
Baris_Alrisul wrote:

I will be honest, looking at this photo I only see the flat pressed seam, sans topstitching. This is especially notable compared to the very visible topstitching on the outer seam which is next to it. Do you happen to have a higher res version that show there is a visible stitching line there?

Re: Knee slide buckles
Baris_Alrisul wrote:

Awesome! None of the shots we were able to find until now showed that green paint. I still think metallic silver or gunmetal best describes what the overall color effect should be, but I am adding the remnants of dark green paint to the optional features.

Here's a better shot of those green buckles:

Re: Leg cuffs
Baris_Alrisul wrote:

The closeup you are showing of Jess looks like a fast sew on a rolled hem to me. That being said, some of those other photos are definitely compelling enough evidence to allow either option! I have edited accordingly.

Here's a really good shot of that. But yeah, should be optional since Poe's is straight or rolled up.

Re: Flare bands
Baris_Alrisul wrote:

Thanks for these! I think the current wording pretty well describes the range of placement seen in these photos, but they will be super helpful as we convert to the visual format.

Yeah, I just threw those out for the rest of the class. Again. I mean, a lot of these photos have been posted (several times in many cases) throughout the forum, but we all know how easy it is to navigate this beast. A central CRL with lots of these pictures in one place should REALLY help.

Re: Right-side cargo pocket
Baris_Alrisul wrote:

I will be honest - this closeup looks VERY different from the other ones we've been able to find. For example, the pockets seen in Geoff's post on August 9 of last year show pretty standard cargo pockets. I would say based on this closeup that the alternate pocket design shown here should probably be an alternate option for this pocket, rather than the standard recommendation. Do you have more photos of this particular pocket so we can create a good description for that item?

This is all I have:

Re: Sidearms
Baris_Alrisul wrote:

I haven't been able to find screenshots of any pilots who were in briefing room version with the holster, though I definitely agree with including that for the main pilot standard. Could you provide some reference for briefing room pilots wearing the holster without vest/chestbox/etc.?

From TFA. I couldn't zero in on Poe with his, but you do see it for a split-second as he bends down to give the map drive to BB-8. But, it's easier to see Snap with his hand leaning on his:

And Poe in TLJ:
[/quote]
Massiff Squadron CO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC New Standard Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: