Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=31c9ad6dab259edc05df085a340fc48aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WTX Wookie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wink Natchya ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: WTX Wookie Reply with quote

I lucked into purchasing a complete kit. It arrived with only minor damage.

Damage to the upper jaw: (Should be a fairly easy superglue fix)

Minor tear in one arm pit: (Should be able to hand sew to fix)

The rest of the kit looks to be in good shape:
Bandoleer:

Boxes:

Claws:

Legs: (inside out)

Torso:

And I purchased stilts to get me to the proper height:

And I just purchased a Micron Chewie kit.

I've tried various pieces on but not the whole kit and I've been practicing with the stilts.

I still have to attach the claws to the stilts and acquire black gloves.

I'm hoping to have these repairs done and do a full costume test this weekend. I should be able to get some decent full kit pics to share.

Any advice would be most welcome.
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I am a new judge here. Jumping in now before submitting

I can tell you that the bandoleer will have to be replaced. The boxes are incorrect and they are short one. Also missing the solo disc on the front. Bag as well will need to be replaced.

The toes will need to match the suit style. I cant see which suit it is is because its all inside out. But this may be something to look at.

Lastly the mask will need a lot of groomimg. Once you fix the teeth put the mask on and I can help you assess the hair groomng.
Wink Natchya ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew grooming was going to be necessary. Heck, if I flew from Ecuador to the States in a cardboard box I'd need a ton of grooming too! LOL..

"I can tell you that the bandoleer will have to be replaced. The boxes are incorrect and they are short one. Also missing the solo disc on the front. Bag as well will need to be replaced."

The CRL says 8-9 large boxes and 8-9 small boxes. My bandoleer has 9 and 9.
There is nothing in the CRL about a "solo disc". I'm not sure what your referring to here.
The CRL calls for a "a medium-sized leather or suede pouch with a large flap cover", is that not what I have?
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again

So let me start with this. I was short worded before because I was in meeting at the time. Normally I will do a more in depth responses like this. But I like to respond quickly when I see a post made. The faster I can respond the faster you can work. More often or not here people post and days or weeks could go by before theres a response. I try not to do that.

So let me address the gorilla in the room first. The RL CRL's. They are woefully out of date and inaccurate in so many ways, especially in wookiees. They are in the process of being updated to a new CRL site. This is a project that has been months in the working and hopefully coming soon.

The second thing about CRL's they are and always have been a guide, but never the be all end all. I was the 501 LMO for 4 years, A GML for 2 years, a DL for 2 years, I was also RLCJ for a time in the past as well. The problem with CRLs has always been that they can have flaws and such because they are being mass written and sometimes by people who are not the Judges or experts in the costume itself. Because of that the value of the CRL is more of a generic check list, and the judges who are experts in the costumes can make the correct review.

This is posted on the CRL's for reference.

"PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists."

So I look at the costume as a whole and its execution based on the original source and go from there as the start.

Looking at the bandoleer, specifically, there are 19 boxes on Chewies belt. 10 large boxes and 9 small. (this is not correctly addressed in the CRL) There is also a solo disc that is attached between the first box and bag attachment point. The large boxes should have lids and the lids should be closed with a pop rivet midway on the side sealing the box.

Looking at the bag, The CRL says medium sized bag made of leather or suede. I would ask first to confirm the bag is leather. At my first glance I saw pleather. The bag also looks to be undersized visually. The bag correctly is 14 inches wide 10 inches top to bottom on the flap.

The toes look to be the old gorilla style toes. Toes should look like the OT toes. More human like with claws vs the PT gorilla like toes.

Lastly the mask. I never assume that a person knows what to do or not to do when I make a note until I know you personally. Some people will say the mask will look amazing. I know you have damage. If you need help let me know.

My goal every review I do is to make your suit look the best it can. I have been wookiee costuming for 11 years now and I promise my goal every time is to make you look amazing.

I apologize I'm having trouble posting pictures for model examples. I will do my best to solve this and post pictures to correlate what we are looking for.
Wink Natchya ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome reply. Thank you.

As we are both seasoned costumers and costume judges, we can agree that the catch all statement in the CRL:
"PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists."

is ment more for the hard to define aspects of the costume not ones that you can put exact descriptions on. i.e. if the bag has to be exactly 14in W x 10in H on the flap, then that should be detailed in the CRL.

If there is a new CRL being developed then that's great! But we can't be expected to build to it or be judged by it until it is approved and posted.

I get the feeling that the CRL is written for what the 501st would consider like a level 1 kit. Hence the wording of "medium size bag" and "leather concho" vice a specific H X W and "solo disc". Which would be screen accurate details for like a level 3 kit.

That all being said, your the judge. In the end you have final say. So if you have a list of details that are not in the CRL then please post them here or in a sticky thread so we can all be on the same page from day one.

As far as kit progress goes:

I've hand sewn the rip in the torso's mesh under suit.
I've glued the teeth back in place. I believe I'm going to need to get some putty to help mask the fracture line.
And I've begun the process of mounting my sound system to my under -under shirt.

I'm trying to get this kit into a wearable (not necessarily approvalable) state for a wear test at a con next weekend. I'm still a little wobbly on the stilts and still need to groom the kit, so I may look more like a down on my luck wookie then a respectable Chewie. LOL But he will sound great! Thank you MiCon! Very awesome sound set up!
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Natchya wrote:
Awesome reply. Thank you.

As we are both seasoned costumers and costume judges, we can agree that the catch all statement in the CRL:

is ment more for the hard to define aspects of the costume not ones that you can put exact descriptions on. i.e. if the bag has to be exactly 14in W x 10in H on the flap, then that should be detailed in the CRL.

Actually not really. I helped birth the idea of the CRL project in the 501st and fleshed it out to its final outlook as it stands today. The CRL was actually never meant to be for the members at first. It was supposed to be for the GML or judges as a check list of look fors since the database of legion costumes was growing beyond the abilities of any one person. We then made them public so that it would make it easier for members to know what we are looking for. Then somewhere along the line people got the idea that the CRL is gospel. I know i never touted that. Ive always touted make it look like the original picture.

As for the bag measurements, I dont expect people to hit this exactly. But I dont mind sharing some information that gets you closer. Ideally if yo know thats the size and you bag is 8 inches wide youre at 50 percent there. When you use non descript words like medium its unfair. Cause a mcdonalds medium and a burger king medium are crazy different. the BK medum is the same size if not bigger than the mcdonalds large. We also have to take into account the size of the leg of the costumer. if your need to have giant legs because of stilts having a bag thats 8 inches looks like a pouch vs a bag. however if your leg is 4 inches deep 8 would look huge. So although i offered measurments off the original bag it really is based on the wearer.

If there is a new CRL being developed then that's great! But we can't be expected to build to it or be judged by it until it is approved and posted.

Again the CRL isnt the judge platform at all. As noted below the judge is the judge platform. The CRL is just a means of a reference. But no reference trumps the original source. Especially when you have things that are unfortunately wrong. So the thing is youre never judged against a new or old CRL. You are judged on your work vs what it should look like. Adjustments are made for each individual based on a slew of factors that cant be listed anywhere really because of the infinite number of each persons variables.

I get the feeling that the CRL is written for what the 501st would consider like a level 1 kit. Hence the wording of "medium size bag" and "leather concho" vice a specific H X W and "solo disc". Which would be screen accurate details for like a level 3 kit.

Also again no. The CRL here was written originally by people who were guessing at things based on information that was not quite correct at the time. take adam savages bag and belt. HOLY COW IS THAT THING WRONG. His measurements are way out in left field of a totally different game. ANd he knows that and is fine with it. You can see he did the same thing with his excalibur sword. Hes not great at prop geometry. lol We can have a phone chat if you want the whole history of chewy over the last 40 something years. OMG you wouldnt believe the sad story. If we were doing levels id would propably say that basic leather concho would be level one. Level two would be a machined elvis trooper disc. level three would be the VOM 55' microphone harp. In this case there would be levels to detail. What we have is the complete lacking of a part the costume referenced. Thats a mistake by the original drafters to leave out parts. Same in reguard to the guess work of boxes.

That all being said, your the judge. In the end you have final say. So if you have a list of details that are not in the CRL then please post them here or in a sticky thread so we can all be on the same page from day one.

Ive had the keys for all of a couple days. I promise ive already made a few stinks lol. Im sure at some point someone will yell at me. There is lots of stuff to do, I just need time. Thats why i respond as fast as i usually do.

As far as kit progress goes:

I've hand sewn the rip in the torso's mesh under suit.

woot!

I've glued the teeth back in place. I believe I'm going to need to get some putty to help mask the fracture line.

get a slower setting putty. an hour or longer. you can then put it on and slowly wet smooth it so you will have to do no sanding to blend. also a good way to add more gum detail.

And I've begun the process of mounting my sound system to my under -under shirt.

I'm trying to get this kit into a wearable (not necessarily approvalable) state for a wear test at a con next weekend. I'm still a little wobbly on the stilts and still need to groom the kit, so I may look more like a down on my luck wookie then a respectable Chewie. LOL But he will sound great! Thank you MiCon! Very awesome sound set up!

You may have a benefit if hes rough. Dont comb with a brush. All fingers. That will make life better. And if you want depending on the length of the hair, you will probably wanna get a razor comb and have someone give you a hair cut at the con. Save your home from the horrendus cleaning.

If youre super struggling on stilts there is the high stepper method that i invented a number of years ago thats pretty popular still. Or build a custom set of block stilts that will be heavier, but much sturdier thatn dry wall stiltx for some. I know i cant wear normal stilts. My equalibrium is always off.

[/b]
Wink Natchya ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the damage to the mask received in shipping was un repairable. New mask has been ordered from EVIL Chimp FX. Estimated delivery is December 2019.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: