Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3c0e89367c57860596279f600e940cf7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Theron Shan (Shadow of Revan)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> EU/Legends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Theron Shan (Shadow of Revan) Reply with quote

And here we go for another attempt at an Old Republic outfit! May Theron fare better than Atton Rand did.

I'm planning on building SIS Agent Theron Shan's classic red jacket/Shadow of Revan look! I'm already planning on ordering a wig from Arda, and possibly foam clay to make his implants. I'm talking with a base member to 3D-print out at least his belt buckle, and possibly his blasters when I have a bit more cash saved up. I have a plan for his jacket (involving the Burda 6931 pattern that a friend suggested), but still haven't yet figured out a pattern for the cargo pants. I also have a bit of an idea what I'm going to need to do for the boots (those are totally in two parts. I'm thinking a leather wrap around the leg, kinda like what some Jedi do?), and am scheming for the belt leather itself.

Currently thinking about a ribbed knit fabric for his shirt, cotton/poly twill for his pants, and a crapton of red leather for his jacket. I have boots on-hand that I can use as a base for his, and can pattern a shirt for him easily enough!

Now taking suggestions for cargo pants patterns, implant crafting, and tips for wrangling garment leather with shoulder pads that properly belong in the 80s. Laughing

Some reference images...

[/img]

SL/DZ/ID 37912, Badlands Garrison
Badlands Public Relations Deputy, 2019-

"If that thing eats us, you're fired."

"Vacation. I just love the sound of the word. Vaaay-caaay-shun."
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Almost looks like it could be a double sleeve on the jacket? Would def help with patterning in that angle. I would look on threads they might have tutorials for leather construction, or look up biker jacket construction.....the way they pad sections with quilting might be the way to go?

type cargo/combat trouser (pants for the usa sellers) pattern/sewing pattern into etsy, that should bring you up lots...then you can look for the pattern numbers on ebay. That way you will see the vintage stuff.

Ion Silental: The Craftplay on facebook (she is a friend and an RL member, scroll down a bit and she has done a mini tutorial on implant type things.
Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tentative CRL:

1. Costumer's hair is dark brown and short, with a prominent fauxhawk. A natural-looking wig may be used.
2. There are cybernetic implants around the costumer's left eye. There are two simple grey buttons above the left eyebrow, and one curved piece following the line of the eye socket. The long curved piece has two small rod-like attachments attached at a perpendicular angle, both coloured yellow on the ends facing outward.
3. The shirt is a golden-beige colour. There are parallel piping seams running down the front of the shirt -- two adjoining each other in the centre of the shirt, with the others spaced out approximately 1.5"-2" apart. There is an additional piping seam around the collar and the hem.
4. Jacket is red leather, and double-sleeved, with a high black collar and white trim. The shoulders and upper back of the jacket are black leather with white trim. The top sleeve of the jacket bulks out the shoulders and extend to no further past the top of the costumer's bicep. The lower sleeves extend to the costumer's wrists and are unadorned. There are three pockets on the front of the jacket -- one small one on the right breast, and two more over the stomach, all with white trim in the reference designs. The jacket has black trim at the bottom, and does not close.
5. Gloves are brown leather and extend to approximately halfway up the forearm. The main body of the glove is a dark brown leather, with a slightly lighter shade at the hem of the glove. The fingers and thumb of the gloves are a slightly darker shade of brown. No visible zippers or buckles may be used.
6. The belt is leather, approximately 2"-3" wide, with the appearance of stitching along the edges. There are five "loops" on the belt -- two beside the front buckle, one in the middle of the back, and two more on the other sides of the back attachments to the holster belts. There are two secondary belts, attaching to the buckle in the front, and with what appear to be smaller buckles in the back. There are two silver buttons on each end of the secondary belt.
7. The buckle is pentagonal in shape, and layered, protruding in front of the costumer.
8. The pants are olive drab cargo pants, with pockets on both legs. The right leg has a blue stripe that goes all the way up the side of the leg, broken up into smaller square shapes at the top, and covered partially with the pocket. The left leg has a smaller blue stripe over the flap of the left pocket. There are two small square pockets on the rear of the pants. These may be decorative only or functional.
9. The boots are two separate pieces. The shaft of the boot is black leather, and reaches up to just below the costumer's knee. There is no visible closure on the shaft. The shaft should also be noticeably wider than the costumer's leg. The base of the boot is black, low heeled, with no visible buckles or laces. A black Chelsea boot may be used as the base.
10. (Optional) Two identical blasters may be used with this costume, made to look like the reference images.
11. (Optional) Theron's eyes are a golden hazel colour. This may be achieved with contact lenses, but is not mandatory.

Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the shirt (version 1.0)!

The pants -- a slow, hand-sewing WIP (I swore I was never handsewing again after my last Jedi build...)

And, still not properly styled, but the wig! (Also, I apparently will need to learn how to do male contouring makeup. My mum saw this picture and asked if I'm batting for the other team... Laughing

A friend of mine is working on designing the belt buckle for 3D printing (and greatly expanding his swearing vocabulary by the sounds of it. The buckle changes juuuuust a little bit with every angle or reference shot. It's driving him mental.). Once I have the pants done, I'll be getting the wig properly styled and looking at places to acquire bright red garment leather from!

tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start, just to note, all standards need to be in the new format with pictorial references for each bit.
Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep that in mind when I work on the finalized proper standard! This one is more a rough draft checklist to help keep me on track, otherwise Jawa brain tends to wander and forget things. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> EU/Legends All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: