Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2063a313b5d9f2a956218db3baccc1daMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Natalie's Jawa WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Natalie's Jawa WIP Reply with quote

I had been asked to help several base members make Jawa's over the last few months and after making 5 of them, I figured I should make one for myself. I have refined a few of the things I did in previous versions and now have "kind of" documented what I did for mine.

I am hoping to go Dual Legion with this one so I was constantly referring to both the standard and the CRL as I worked.

This is the pattern that I used for my Jawa with some changes.

This is the pattern I referenced for the hood.

I adjusted it slightly to fit me better in terms of sleeve length and made the hood longer so that it would drape in the back and be rounder in the front.

I purchased 7 yards of natural monks cloth at JoAnn's and dyed it in the tub using 2.5 bottles of Cocoa Brown and 2 bottles of Sunshine Orange. I'm really pleased with the color and how even it came out. Even after washing and drying this fabric, I was still left with about 6.5 yards of fabric which was perfect for what I needed.

Here is my fabric laid out and ready to be cut.

I basically measured the entire length, found the middle and marked it. I then laid out on the fabric and measured roughly where my shoulders hit and pinned there. I also marked where the armholes should roughly end and then cut out half of it before folding it and then cutting the remainder to match. I made sure to make the robe slightly longer than I needed it. I believe I cut it at 64'. I knew it would be long on me but I'd rather it be too long than not long enough.

Once I had the robe cut out, I found the center where the neckline should be, marked that and then cut out the neck. I find it best to start small when cutting this and then working out when needed. If you cut it too big, it won't work.

I then laid out my remaining fabric to cut the sleeves. I added the additional inches to my pattern and cut them as well.

After that, it was simply attaching the sleeves and putting in the hem on the collar.

The hood I deliberately made bigger as I mentioned. I used Kona cotton in Black to line it and bought corset boning (about 1.5 yards) to put in the front to hold the shape.

The leftover scrap I then used on my boots. I had an old pair of pull on boots I wasn't using so I took that as my base and using E6000, I glued the fabric to the boots. I used almost 2 full bottles for this which was a lot more than I thought I would need but it looks pretty good.

I wasn't happy with how clean it looked so I took a small squirt bottle, filled it with dark brown dye and then sprayed it a bit all over to darken and weather them. I'm super happy with the final result.

I didn't have the money to purchase a bandolier but I did have scrap leather and dye etc. We ended up making a bandolier and I'm so happy with how it turned out. Please excuse my dirty mirror.

After all this was done, I did an initial try on of everything and I'm pretty happy with it. I forgot to put on the scarf wraps for this but I do have them. My friend is making my mask for me so as soon as that is done, I should be good to go.

With that being said, is there anything anyone sees at this point that may need to be tweaked before I submit?

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to remember if one Legion or the other requires the wrap / ties for the hood, or not? It's been a little while since I made one, but I seem to recall something about that surprising me a bit.

This is reminding me I need to make a new one for my son soon. Gotta dye up some more fabric!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
I'm trying to remember if one Legion or the other requires the wrap / ties for the hood, or not? It's been a little while since I made one, but I seem to recall something about that surprising me a bit.

This is reminding me I need to make a new one for my son soon. Gotta dye up some more fabric!

They do. I just forgot to put them on for the try on pics. Lol

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I would add a bit more weathering and remember to bring in the opening for the face a bit tighter.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
Looks good. I would add a bit more weathering and remember to bring in the opening for the face a bit tighter.

Do you mean frayed edges or like actual tea dye etc weathering?

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend finished up my mask and it's in transit now. We used a hockey mask and modified it.
This one is from Walmart and was only $7.

He painted it black and added the padding to the back so it would sit comfortably.

Visibility seems to be pretty decent. There is speaker fabric over the mask.

We discovered the circles on the mask show under the fabric so he used Bondo to fill them in and sanded it down and repainted it to fix.

These are the lights he used. I'm not sure where he got them.

Once I get it, I can submit. Hopefully should arrive this weekend. Mr. Green

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally suited up completely and took my submission photos. I am loving the mask! It's roomy and I have good visibility.

I threw the robe in the wash one more time to get more of a ragged appearance on the sleeves and the hem and am happy with the result.

I also adjusted the Velcro and the scarf straps on the mask so that it can be pulled in tighter to the face per the comments on my build. I'm really happy with how it came out and can't wait to wear it. Mr. Green

Costume Mentor
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
Looks good.

Thank you!!

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved today with no changes needed. Mr. Green

Costume Mentor
bassman (Willy Bauwelinck)
Spanish Base XO
Spanish Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Smile
vargas1138 ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Jawa Robes Reply with quote

That's excellent work. The texture of the robes is the closest I've seen so far. Did you ever find out where the lights came from?
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jawa Robes Reply with quote

vargas1138 wrote:
That's excellent work. The texture of the robes is the closest I've seen so far. Did you ever find out where the lights came from?

Sorry just saw this. No, I forgot to ask my friend. They’re close to tea lights you’d find at Target though.

Costume Mentor
PhantomEcho (Brian Chandler)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.michaels.com/ashland-submersible-led-lights/10154209.html

They look like the ones in the link above with lens painted with acrylic paint. I know there is a how to video in the unofficial Facebook group called Utinni Builders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: