Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b3a3068c5b8c7a7cd5453d9fd3b6f690Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume assistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Rogue Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rynok ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Costume assistance Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to be able to join Rebel Legion, but am not sure how to go about getting a costume together. While I have noted the various tutorials on the forums, I profess no notable skills at things like sewing (To grab a catchphrase from a certain other famous sci-fi franchise, I'm a doctor, not a tailor! Well, granted, I'm not a doctor, either, but you get the idea.), so being able to make my own outfit (or at least one that would be of sufficient quality as to obtain approval from the Rebel Legion Powers That Be) isn't really an option.

While I can probably afford to buy a Star Wars costume or hire someone to make one for me, I am operating on a budget (I read over on the website of the 501st about how costumes obtained that way could range in the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, which led me to be sitting here with wide eyes and quietly going "Eep!"), and also read about how a purchased one (of the already-made variety from a store) may not necessarily receive approval "as is."

Is there any advice that anyone could offer on how a non-tailor on a budget could create a uniform reasonably, yet cheaply, or is this a case where, if I want a costume, I'm just going to have to suck it up and find & pay someone to make one for me? (I've been to the May 4th celebration at the Viridian Event Center in West Jordan, Utah, this year and last year and have seen the costumes there, so finding someone with the skills to make good costumes who'd be willing to make one for me for a fee isn't, I suspect, going to be a problem.) I do like the idea of a Jedi costume in particular, but am certainly open to any workable Star Wars costume that would meet membership requirements.

(I am posting this in the Rogue Base forum, in case this is the kind of topic that works best on the local level, such as in locating and hiring a local tailor, if required. If this is something that should be posted on the main Rebel Legion, I apologize profusely.)
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for your local tailors, but generally it should not cost a thousand dollars, let alone thousands of dollars, for a Jedi costume. It's not impossible, if you want to go high end everything. (Heck, the top end sabers alone can reach 4 figures without much trouble)

But there are definitely budget ways to put together a very respectable Jedi for a much more reasonable price, even without sewing a single thing.

Boots are often one of the more expensive parts, depending on which way you go, but they don't have to be. Many people have been approved with $50 Funtasma costume boots... although it's best if you at least tweak them a bit. (If you can fit off-the-shelf ladies' boots from Payless and the like, you might do even better) Or you can spend $500 or more for full custom boots.

Belts can be had for a wide range of prices, from $50 or so up to several hundred. Sabers can cost very little for 3D printed models, up to several hundred for a very respectable metal saber with electronics, light, sound, the works (or much higher, the fancier you get)

Approvable outfits can be found for $300-600, depending on options and some luck. Or even less, if you're lucky.

Robes usually cost a bit ... I've seen them from $150-300 or so. But they're not required.

String it all together, and it should be possible to do a full Jedi for under $500, or even under $400 with some luck. Then perhaps upgrade pieces over time, if you find yourself wanting to?

Yes, there are some costumes where you'll be hard pressed to spend less than a thousand, or even less than four thousand to get together. But there are lots of options that are under $500, as well.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rynok, I would love to help you out and point you in the right direction on whatever costume you decide to do. If you would like we can add you to the Rogue Base Facebook group or I can PM you and we can discuss where you’d like to start? 😁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Rogue Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: