Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6e610898d235c8fe464ee9bb07b2e84bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itty bitty progress! I picked up fabric for my vest. There's a big workshop day this weekend for our Base's group build, so hopefully things will start coming together soon. Funny story: I picked out the fabric just by finding the best candidate, holding it up against the actual flightsuit I'll be wearing. I got home, and added to my fabric collection, and noticed some similar fabric in the bag. Pulled it out, and did some checking, and realized the new fabric was the exact same fabric I used for the Endor Rebel trooper vest! Ha!

Picked up some cloth for a lining for this vest, too. We'll see whether I actually use it, but at least I have it on hand. Smile

Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That color looks great for the vest. Everything looks great so far.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still pulling together materials for the vest build. Picked up some tan Velcro today, for the vest closure. Hopefully I'll have time to sit down with the various resources I've collected, and get started sewing on that soon!

Meanwhile, I did decide to try out the Tillman 650 welding gloves. I believe I read people have sanded out the logo, so assuming that comes out ok, I just need the greeblie and I'll be done with the gloves!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you get leather paint and paint over the logo (if the sanding doesn’t work that is!)?

Looking forward to seeing more progress from ya! Keep it up! Smile

1138th Special Forces Squad Leader 2019-2020
Jyn Erso - RFT - ERT - Mando Merc/Bo-Katan - Atton Rand - Hoth Hanger Trooper

In Progress: Battle Handmaiden
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryamla wrote:
I wonder if you get leather paint and paint over the logo (if the sanding doesn’t work that is!)?

Looking forward to seeing more progress from ya! Keep it up! Smile

It's suede, so paint would be tricky. I do have a few ideas I could try, though.

Another option (although it would only work for Hangar Trooper, not the pilot) is to go with the larger greeblie, which would completely cover at least one of them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
I'm still pulling together materials for the vest build. Picked up some tan Velcro today, for the vest closure. Hopefully I'll have time to sit down with the various resources I've collected, and get started sewing on that soon!

Meanwhile, I did decide to try out the Tillman 650 welding gloves. I believe I read people have sanded out the logo, so assuming that comes out ok, I just need the greeblie and I'll be done with the gloves!

Those were my first pair as well and I quickly found something even better. I did not like the cuff flare, the finish / color, and they are bulky and kind of stiff, for me. I found these instead. I ordered 2 pairs. One pair had a logo on them that I sanded and the other did not. They are perfect in my eyes. Another option any ways.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portwest-A520-Leather-Tig-Welders-Gauntlet-Work-Gloves-Welding-Safety-Workwear/162607050321?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
Those were my first pair as well and I quickly found something even better. I did not like the cuff flare, the finish / color, and they are bulky and kind of stiff, for me. I found these instead. I ordered 2 pairs. One pair had a logo on them that I sanded and the other did not. They are perfect in my eyes. Another option any ways.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portwest-A520-Leather-Tig-Welders-Gauntlet-Work-Gloves-Welding-Safety-Workwear/162607050321?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Interesting. Those are pretty cheap, too. I might give them a try. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP Reply with quote

Bumping my own thread with a nothing-burger update, as this is progressing SLOWLY. Life has been crazy busy. And I keep helping others with their own costuming instead of working on my own stuff, LOL!

I have remaining:

Complex:
  1. The Vest. Still the last complicated piece. I'm still hoping to try to make the vest myself, else I'll go with an Etsy vendor. Smile

Aside from the vest, all that's left is truly simple stuff:
  1. Gloves (I have the Tillman welding gloves in hand, but I also ordered the Portwest ones Jeffrey recommended above. One way or the other, this is done the moment the greeblie is attached. I'm going to buy the Pilot-style greeblie from Pilot Bay so I can do a Snowspeeder Pilot with the same gloves.)
  2. Hoth rank badge (I'll likely 3D print this myself),
  3. Cloth rank badge (I need to iron the one I purchased from Etsy onto some fabric, and sew it onto the flightsuit, similar to the originals), and
  4. Scarf (again, simple to find on Amazon, else just a length of fabric).

If I have extra time, I'll make some Hoth-style shoe covers and make some winter boots. Those will come in handy for the Pilot (if optional) and if I ever get around to it, Hoth Han.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: