Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=742e1d7827ff85e16095398890ac5dabMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Disney Snowspeeder Jacket Galaxys Edge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Snowspeeder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeditid ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Disney Snowspeeder Jacket Galaxys Edge Reply with quote

Has anyone been to Galaxy's Edge yet and seen the snowspeeder jackets they are selling ??

I've seen a couple of images (as seen here) and wondered if anyone thinks these could clear for a Snowspeeder with RL ??

Thoughts ??

61794733_886761801662836_5391030743642144768_n by jeditid1973, on Flickr

67780071_2317946308281185_2565888942385659904_n by jeditid1973, on Flickr[/img]
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get some Detachment Officers, or better yet, Pilot LCJs commenting on this?

There are quite a few people interested in this costume thanks to the affordability of this jacket - but people have questions:

1) Are the pleats good as is, or do they need ironing? There seems to be dissent over if they're knife pleats or box pleats.
2) The rank badge is rubber (okay, that kinda sucks), and the window piece around it looks a bit small. Is this a huge issue since it'll be mostly covered by the flak vest?
3) I've heard people complaining about the fact this has hidden pockets. If they're made to stay closed (velcro, snaps, under the pistol belt, etc) is this such a big issue?

Pilots would love to get this issue settled prior to the winter trooping season.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

TK-51000 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about this as well..
Mysterious Stranger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Snowspeeder Pilot costume approved with this jacket and no modifications. Just make sure your belt holds the seam pockets closed and you should be fine.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=21553&bu=profile.php%3Fmode%3Dviewprofile%26u%3D15471&bl=Back+to+Mysterious+Stranger%27s+profile
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I wouldn’t be happy clearing it.
Fundamentally the the original jacket was made from a shiner material, if you look at the screen references there is a slight colour mismatch in colour between the jacket and the flightsuit but not as much as the galaxies edge jacket as it’s too light.
I’m not massively impressed with the pleats.
Weathering could bring it closer in line with the original but unless you can apply some form of each coating the basic fabric isn’t the same.
When wearing the flightvest you see a portion of the rank badges sticking out from the vest so I think you’d need to move that up.
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge
Mysterious Stranger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are color and material variations in all of the approved Snowspeeder pilot costumes AND the approved OT X-wing costumes.

If you want 100% screen accuracy then yes get a shinier satin-like material. But not everyone can afford to commission a jacket or has the skills to make their own. This jacket from Galaxy's Edge is a great, affordable alternative.

If we want to be elitist and insist on 100% screen accuracy then we'll never grow as a Club. Giving some allowances for slight variations in color, material and fit makes it much easier for new members to join.
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we have to modify Black Series Resistance helmets? They look pretty good. Aren't they close enough already?

If a flight suit made from the correct material gets rejected due to a pocket not having the correct stitching, shouldn't that clear too? Surely that looks closer than a mass produced dressup jacket from a theme park?

We have standards. They don't demand 100% accuracy, there is leeway but still have criteria to meet. Just because an item costs less than another alternative, why should that be clearable?

Am I elitist? No but I take pride in looking better than other examples of my costumes when I'm at an event, representing this club.
Mysterious Stranger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is the jacket was approved. If you don't like that decision then take it up with the DCO and LMO.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pleats are fine.

The color is certainly within the margin of allowable.

The rank badge is optional, and often covered by the flak vest anyway. IF it's visible, it can easily be cut off, since it's topstitched on, or a new one that's wider could be constructed pretty easily from material stolen from inside the jacket (there's enough, we checked). Or possibly by unfolding and re-sewing the stock pocket. Then repaint the rubber compad (the colors are off, not the mold itself) and you're good to go there.

And the pockets, as has been discussed, are hidden pockets anyway, and usually covered by the web belt to hold them closed. If not, for some reason, very easy to stitch closed, or even just add some velcro to hold them closed.

Seeing it in person, ON someone in a pilot costume, it looks quite good. I'm not surprised it was approved.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the official ruing on this for interested parties?
Mysterious Stranger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was approved with it. I think that's about as official as it gets right now.
Mitthrawnuruodo (Bobby Linn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysterious Stranger wrote:

Thank you, I saw that, congrats!
Maybe I'll just take that answer and try it and see what happens.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitthrawnuruodo wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:

Thank you, I saw that, congrats!
Maybe I'll just take that answer and try it and see what happens.

I just bought one, so once my gloves arrive I'll be taking pics to submit as well. I'll post back the results!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this back when it was first posted, and I'd already had the idea to try for approval in this jacket (thought it might need a few very tiny alterations, maybe, but it looked approve-able to me). But I didn't want to comment then, as I wasn't sure if that would bring any sort of weird, untoward attention to the fact that some of us were considering an "off the rack" jacket for this costume. Also, I hadn't seen it in the flesh and I'm not a judge, so I wasn't sure.

Well, I got this jacket a while ago, and in the flesh, it's darn near perfect, off the rack. There are a few things you could change if you really wanted to for some reason, but I don't think anyone needs to. Anyway, it took me some time to arrange help for my submission pics, but I changed nothing and was approved, as well.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
I saw this back when it was first posted, and I'd already had the idea to try for approval in this jacket (thought it might need a few very tiny alterations, maybe, but it looked approve-able to me). But I didn't want to comment then, as I wasn't sure if that would bring any sort of weird, untoward attention to the fact that some of us were considering an "off the rack" jacket for this costume. Also, I hadn't seen it in the flesh and I'm not a judge, so I wasn't sure.

Well, I got this jacket a while ago, and in the flesh, it's darn near perfect, off the rack. There are a few things you could change if you really wanted to for some reason, but I don't think anyone needs to. Anyway, it took me some time to arrange help for my submission pics, but I changed nothing and was approved, as well.

CONGRATS!!!

*checks to see if gloves have been delivered yet*

*shakes first at UPS*

LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Snowspeeder All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: