Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a6a62a0bd1ab059c9b2d1734d3a4f67Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Twilight Company

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Twilight Company Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done a Twilight Company costume?? I'm not dark enough to be Hazram Nameer, but I think I could pull off a Sergeant Ajax.

What are official guidelines regarding patches on fligh suits, flak vests, jackets, etc?
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other visual references than these? I remember that there was some textual reference on some of their various garb. They have several different outfits depending on the environment.

PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to have actually found one more pictorial reference than I have, though admittedly I'm in the brainstorming phase of this and haven't thoroughly researched the idea yet.

Yes, their costumes would invariably be "flexible" for a couple reasons:

1. They are a forward-deployed ground combat element of a rebellion in progress. This means that in addition to being equipped with various pieces of specialized equipment like warm weather and cold weather gear (which all Infantry should have anyway, with limited exceptions) they are also short on supplies because rebellions tend to run on shoe string budgets and they exist on the furthest reaches of an almost nonexistent supply chain. Ergo, a lot of what they use is or would be Imperial Issue that's been repainted and repurposed.

2. The manner in which they recruit replacements means that newer soldiers will wear or carry bits of clothing or gear from their background/homeworld as it is comfortable or familiar to them and plugs in gaps in supply that I've noted above.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilight Company was a great book and really had that "boots on the ground" infantry feel that Rogue One followed up with.

Creating a new costume type is exciting and I've helped develop standards for several. The Rebel Legion Charter defines how to go about getting a new costume type approved.

Quote:
Article II: Costuming Standards
Costumes approved by the Rebel Legion include, but is not limited to, costumes seen in films (created/produced/distributed) by Lucasfilm, LLC/Disney, comics, books, games, television shows and other source material from licensed LFL/Disney based on the Star Wars saga.
These costumes include any character from the Star Wars universe, regardless of what LFL/Disney has declared as "canon", as long as there are proper reference images for the creation of the costume (see requirements for costume references below).

Costumes eligible for Rebel Legion membership, that do not have written/posted costume standards must include:
1. Two or more images, head to toe, showing the front and back of the costume being created OR a 360-degree head-to-toe turnaround of the character.
2. Additional images may be included to show detail of the costume being created.
3. Resource material may come from any LFL/Disney licensed sources for the character/costume being created.
4. Additional costume details may come from a detailed text-based description, but must have an accompanying visual reference to be considered for creating a Rebel Legion approved costume.
5. For video games: Player generated/edited costumes for game characters (those that are customizable) are not eligible for consideration for Rebel Legion membership.

Essentially the Legion needs published visual references to compare your creation to. Characters that originated from books (like Corran Horn) have had standards created for them, because eventually there was published visual references associated with the character.

References are for individual costumes that a character wears. If a character wears different costumes then each will have its own standard, if visual reference is available. In Corran's case, there is his pilot gear, Jedi garb, and CorSec uniform. Each are described in the book, but also had visual reference published.

So when you talk about a "flexible" gear setup, each item would have to have specific reference in published material. Endor Troopers are a good example. There's a lot of options in the standard because there was a lot of options that we can see on screen. If you've got those elements, you're good.

You'd be able to start standards based on this visual material or others you can find. The tough part can be finding pictures of both the front and back. If you can get text descriptions from the book on known items that would be a strong possibility.

These conversations in the detachments are exactly where this type of work happen and we help each other to find the references, put together standards, and encourage each other through our builds. Looking forward to what you can come up with!
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use terms like "flexible" I'm speaking from a "theory" or "how this would work IRL" standpoint, which wouldn't necessarily reflect how official standards are constructed. A good example would be the "Scarif Marine[sic]", "Hoth Trench Trooper," and "Endor Trooper" standards- they are each their own separate entity, but according Lucasfilm canon (and as far as I'm aware, Disney Canon has followed through with this), they are the same unit- the Rebel Specforces/Pathfinders/Katarn Commandos/Page's Commandos. So there's sort of a necessary dichotomy in the way they're classified and divided, and it makes sense.

As far as getting visual references, that part will absolutely be tough for now and probably into the near future. The book does offer some detailed descriptions for specific people, but the whole company is kinda light on detail. What few pictures exist are mostly cover art so far; at least with Corran, we get the benefit of a comic series, which helps a LOT, but so far none such exists for Twilight Company. I think Battlefront has floated the idea of including them in the game, but I'll need to follow up on it.

I did enjoy the book, despite some of its faults; it was a very engaging story and was "close enough" in terms of how an Infantry unit operates to really capture and hold my imagination.
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookieepedia isn't very helpful with uniform details at present, so I'll have to wait until next week when I get home and get my hands on the book to get really in depth description work done.

Until then, I'll focus on getting rough ideas drawn up; i think some safe assumptions can be made if we piece together what other Infantry wear in the movies, i.e. that capped-sleeve vest, "light flak jacket" that shows up on Scarif, Hoth and Endor, among other places. When on Hoth, I recall Hazram Namir being issued standard Hoth Trooper equipment, so there's one costume already technically drawn up.

I'll work on the other stuff. I'm confident that I can do this; It'll be awesome when complete
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! We build for ourselves, because we love it. We get help from like minded people along the way. If your creation is able to be approved, all the better, but in the end you have something that represents your excitement!
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the engagement and support!

Now that I've identified a seeming "gap" in costume standards, I'm eager to do my part to help out and bridge that gap. Maybe what I do will help some other people.

As a basis, this is what I've worked up, going off of available pics and references I can find online:

Donut helmet
Long sleeve tan tee shirt
Cap sleeve vest, with appropriate patch and greeblies
M-1956 web belt with M-1956 canvas pouches- they seem to use a LOT of pouches; artists are likely attempting to convey the idea that "Mobile Infantry" are semt places without long term support and need to survive in the field with whatever they can carry on their backs
Optional short, light leather work gloves
Tan, brown or spray-painted camo pants
Chelsea style boots with gaiters, brown or black

It's really generic, but it's a place to start from I think.

I'd LOVE to do a Gadren; seeing someone in a big 3-armed alien suit would be awesome.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start. Can you provide references for all those costume elements that come from published media specifically referring to Twilight Company?
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. I'll want to get my hands on the text first to double check things, which means waiting until the 27th when I'm finally home again, but there are plenty of images from Battlefront, the book cover art, etc, to give it support.

I mean, when it comes down to it, Twilight soldiers are essentially just regular rebel Infantry as depicted in Battlefront and other media, so the gear would be mostly cut and paste. The book and cover art adds details like the patch/badge, and in some passages, evidence of scavanged Imperial armor. Definitely still WIP.
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so far I've skimmed up to chapter 23; I don't expect to find much more detail past this point, but I'll look regardless. Due diligence and all that. So far, I've found some interesting things; in the opening, Hazram Namir is noted to be wearing "faded gray fatigues", and I'm not sure if the author means gray or light tan (like what the Honor Guard wears in ANH)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: