Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2611bec13d51d869e050f5e3d31311b0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Lake Dress
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aglarwen (Elizabeth Martinez)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made this dress before for myself, and I have to agree. That color transition is entirely incorrect in the back. It's sadly the case with most of the costumes from the overseas vendors. Most of them have inaccuracies like this that don't match the standards

When I did mine, I started off with a white dress and dip dyed the color gradient into it while each previous color was still wet. Due to how much fabric that thing had, I needed help doing it, but it turned out really well. The Padawan's Guide has a few great tutorials on the making of this dress, and Tracy's Costuming World WIP was also a very useful guide for me (https://tracyscostumingworld.weebly.com/lake-dress.html).

Contact me at http://www.facebook.com/scarletstitchery/ for your costume needs!
AmongstTheJedi ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's back to Square one then. This will definitely be a Summer project, I think. I'm going to practice dying Fabric--but I'm eager to make it from scratch. The actual sewing isn't too frightening, but rather the dying. Anyhow, I'm excited. I'll wear this one to conventions and for fun. Very Happy
Aglarwen (Elizabeth Martinez)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give you is get fabrics made of natural fibers. Silk is one that most use for this particular dress. I made mine entirely out of polyester and had a hell of a time getting the color to take. I try to avoid using polyester dyes because you have to have water boiling on the stove to make it work and it ended up creating a royal mess! So save yourself the trouble and get a natural fiber Very Happy

Contact me at http://www.facebook.com/scarletstitchery/ for your costume needs!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. There's good reasons they went with silk for so many costumes in the movies. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
bad_wolf (Maria)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up this one because I found this costume on aliexpress: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32825376910.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.394642ddWas4oj&algo_pvid=93e990a8-2943-4f5d-9d0c-bed89532e8f6&algo_expid=93e990a8-2943-4f5d-9d0c-bed89532e8f6-19&btsid=f5023068-c896-4f29-a497-fdbe28c20464&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_55

What do you think?

- Leader Milkyway Delegation (RLGS) 2016 - 2019

- LCJ 2019
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad_wolf wrote:

What do you think?

I don't believe this can be approved either due to the purple at the bottom. It's far too dark and the other colors too vibrant.

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
bad_wolf wrote:

What do you think?

I don't believe this can be approved either due to the purple at the bottom. It's far too dark and the other colors too vibrant.

1. This, plus the sleeves must be yellow to the wrists. Also, I believe the 'mother of pearl' collar on this gown is not made from a rigid material. Either this or a similar one on Amazon, the collar appears to be constructed of a vinyl-like material.

2. There does not appear to be a center satin ribbon running down the front panel. (If it is there, I can't see it.)

3. Flowers are fabric.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
bad_wolf wrote:

What do you think?

1. This, plus the sleeves must be yellow to the wrists. Also, I believe the 'mother of pearl' collar on this gown is not made from a rigid material. Either this or a similar one on Amazon, the collar appears to be constructed of a vinyl-like material.

2. There does not appear to be a center satin ribbon running down the front panel. (If it is there, I can't see it.)

3. Flowers are fabric.

Yes, that's vynil and the armbands too, but this two and the flowers can be remade, my doubt was for the color, because some member of my base want to buy that one as "start" and do some changes. That's why I asked for a further opinion. Thank you girls!

- Leader Milkyway Delegation (RLGS) 2016 - 2019

- LCJ 2019
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As cheap costumes go, it's one of the better ones. Its biggest issues are the pink running too high and the highly saturated colors. But the colors does go on in the right order on this one.
Excellent as a fun costumes for a convention. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: