Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5436f5213c349b6c82e622d63bf47ce8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

SWTOR Relnex Jedi Help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caden_Horn ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: SWTOR Relnex Jedi Help. Reply with quote

Greetings.

I decided today to move forward whit my first Rebel Legion costume and decided on the SWTOR: Relnex Style Jedi Robes. This will be my first sewing project as well and I am in desperate need of guidance. I have a couple of questions before I begin;

1. The criteria state that I'm only allowed to use Brown, Tan or off-white colors, yet the generic Jedi allows for Earthy tones. Is ther room for bending the rules and use colors like sage, sandstone, etc. within the costume? (Pretty sure the answer is "no", but it never hurts to ask.)
2. Where is a good refrence/tutorial for this build? Is the fabric the same material that is used for the generic jedi? i.e. cotton (crinkle) gauze.
3. Can the outer Tunic be sleeveless as long as the inner one has them?

I'm sure I'll have more questions going forward but this is all I can come up with for now. I am going to start fabric pricing and such today and see what I can get locally and what has to be ordered. I look forward to this build and my submissing into the legion!

Update:
I found two Cotten gauze at Joann’s:
- natural solid gauze $9.99 (darker sand)
- papyrus gauze $9.99 (lighter sand)
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions:

1. The color palate won't be expanded unless you can provide an in-game robe set in that general style (tight sleeved OT, short sleeved robe, belt over robe) that includes one of the colors you want. Which, honestly, might be out there but you'll need in-game reference to support it. Note that anything achieved through the dye packs isn't valid for RL purposes (RIP bright purple Satele robes Laughing ).

2. Per resources, we don't really have a tutorial for this costume but I encourage you to post often in your build! Fabric choices are pretty flexible for video game costumes but I think basing it heavily off real life Jedi robes is a smart choice. Crinkle cotton has a good look but is flimsy and kind of see-through, so you'll want to double layer it at minimum, or perhaps back it with something else a little sturdier. Other good choices include linen, raw silk, or other textured cottons. Avoid broadcloth- it's tempting because it's cheap but it is also cheaply made and better for making mockups than for making something you'll wear very often. For the robe either get spendy on wool (suiting wool is okay, wool crepe is magic, anything with a nice drape and flow to it) or get a nice heavy linen. My SWTOR robe is an Italian wool with a beautiful drape and it's one of my favorite things.

3. With this one we've gotta go with the reference- I think on all the examples the sleeve colors go with the outer tunic rather than the inner tunic. Now, construction wise, there's nothing to stop you from sewing your sleeves to the inner tunic if you think it'll wear better that way, but color-wise I think it will need to match the outer tunic. If you've got a counter-example, definitely bring it to the table because there's a TON of variety but without one, we've gotta go with what we have.

Good luck with the build! This style looks super comfy. Smile

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: