Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c92c8e370eeddc61e9093d03bca38f1aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TPM Amidala Purple Traveling Gown Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illoria ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: TPM Amidala Purple Traveling Gown Build Thread Reply with quote

My first post and my first SW cosplay! Woot Woot! Hi everyone! This thread will follow my progress on Queen Amidala's Purple Traveling Gown. The actual sewing and build is still quite a ways off. I definitely won't start it till next year (2020) at the earliest. This year/summer is for planning, collecting references, but most importantly buying the fabric. I'm headed off to LA in a few days to go shopping so I would appreciate your input to make sure I get the right colors. I am going for RL approval so if you think I'm headed off the specifications, please let me know. Though I will add a post below with some of the new things I've seen while combing through the internet looking at reference images. (And I'm pretty sure I've dug up a whole bunch of new reference images.) Also included below my pictures I took of the doll. If anyone wants to add those online somewhere for referencing, please let me know!

To begin: My sketches and plans

Underlayers/foundation pieces:

Top layers:

As you can see, I'm planning the following pieces:

Shift
Stays (strapless because I want to use the same pair for another dress later)
Cage Crinoline
Parlet (to attach 2 inner sleeves to [detachable for washing]. Will protect the overdress from skin oils in neck area)
Tiered ruffled Petticoat
Full length purple inner sleeve
Poofy chiffon outersleeve folded back
Overskirt
Overdress
Headpiece + detachable veil + beaded hair bags
Braided hair pieces

The underlayers will be made of cotton sateen (the shift possibly in linen) in white and matching purple colors. I'll buy that fabric once I'm done with the patterning stage since they are easier to acquire.

The outer layers will be made from silk though I'm debating whether to do silk satin or a very thin stretchy pleather for the overdress lining. It will be decided while in LA when I can see the fabric choices and prices. The reference photos show it as being shiny so I'm leaning more towards a satin (though it's twice as expensive as pleather Shocked )

Fabric Choices:

Overdress: Silk/rayon velvet
Lining: tbd (silk satin or some kind of pleather)
Inner sleeve: some kind of silk fabric. Maybe piped, maybe plain. Decide once there.
Outer sleeve: Silk satin chiffon
Overskirt: Silk seersucker (ideally not sheer)
Veil/hair bags: Magenta/teal iridescent chiffon + 4 striped velvet ribbon

Colors:

I went to lowes and picked out a bunch of paint cards which I think look similar to actual colors. I'll be taking them with me to LA to choose the fabrics. In the picture below I've labelled each color with the part of the dress it will be used on. I'm fairly happy with what I picked out though I wasn't able to find the right color for the outersleeve (I want a color in between the 2 pinks on the card). What do you guys think? Are the colors correct?

close up of dress and skirt colors:

That's all for this post. Next up: Construction and patterning thoughts.
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! This start looks amazing and I'm excited to see your build! I know its a bit later since you've posted, so my first question is if you've made it to LA and the fashion district? Your color choices look great btw, though for the sleeve I'd suggest going for a more purple tone than pink. And for the skirt definitely the darker color.

If you haven't found it yet, there's a site that has great references for this costume and might help pick colors/fabrics and with some construction questions! Here's the link: http://www.padawansguide.com/purple_travel_exhibit.shtml

She also has all of Padme's other costumes and is one of our best resources!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very lovely costume; I look forward to seeing it done. Smile We have a few others who have made this costume, so maybe you can get additional inspiration from their wips: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028470#1028470

Good luck! Very Happy

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: