Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=965f7af373f52a48f3001e750e71e34cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH WIP Sydney
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freppy (William Bond)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Han Solo ANH WIP Sydney Reply with quote

I am starting up a Han Solo costume! ANH, since that is probably my favourite Han look.. I have a full Anakin ROTS Pre-suit costume, but it has some broken bits, and is very cumbersome to wear and cart around (especially with the lightsaber) - it's awesome, to wear, but I need something a bit more 'lightweight' for times when I don't want to be weighed down!

As such, I'm starting up a Han Solo ANH!

I have purchased so far:

Shirt, vest, pants: Cosplaysky
These fit awesomely! I purchased a small since I'm 165cm tall, and small build, and they do fit really well I think. A small bit of tapering and fixing here and there and this should be approvable.

3 hole belt: ebay. Hasn't arrived yet, but it looks pretty good. I'll remove the middle prong. 1.7" wide.

Gun belt/holster: ebay (includes droid caller). This one apparently needs a little tinkering with pliers/side cutters. Easily done.

Greeblies: ebay. Full set. Should be fine.

Gun: I will 3d print this myself, and paint it the right colour! 3D printers are awesome!

Boots: Looking at a couple of options, but probably ebay. These are pretty standard.

Once I get all things together, I'll put them all on, and hopefully this should be a fairly straightforward approval! I'm aiming for Sydney Supanova to have this completed by, so I can wear this around the con floor to test it out!

Cheers
freppy (William Bond)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on my Han Solo ANH!

I have all the bits now, everything arrived nicely and timely. I tried everything on and it all fits (though some minor adjustments here and there are required - detail below). I'll be ready for approval shots very soon I think!

Fixups:
1. Vest is a bit long! In the full length photos, I have pinned this up a bit, and it =should= be OK like this... So I need this properly sewn in.

2. Shirt needs to be yellower! Right now it's very white. Needs more yellowing! Does anyone have advice on yellowing shirts a little bit to get a more 'cream' look? I think I heard once to submerge in tea?

3. Belt rear metal thingy is the wrong shape (provided like this from seller). I need to cut this back a bit, so need to buy some tools to be able to do this!

4. Boots. Could be stretched a bit, they are quite tight to get on and off, though this isn't major.

5. The DL-44 is still in pieces, this needs to be fully assembled... Though how are we for bringing prop guns to events?

Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gas canister goes in the first loop (near the buckle) Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's been fixed now. I also realised I had forgotten to put the silver disc thing on the belt, this is now on there.

I finished up the DL-44 I found online too. There are a few inaccuracies about it, but would this be 'approvable' to use? That being said, Australia has pretty strict gun laws, so I don't actually think I would be allowed to have this with me on most troops!

Next up will be tea to the shirt, then hemming the vest, and expanding the boots, and cutting the rear belt thingy.
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freppy wrote:

I finished up the DL-44 I found online too. There are a few inaccuracies about it, but would this be 'approvable' to use?

Good work so far. I'm no judge but I'd think your DL-44 would be approvable. My ESB blaster isn't perfect but looks the part and was approved Smile
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freppy wrote:
Thanks! That's been fixed now. I also realised I had forgotten to put the silver disc thing on the belt, this is now on there.

I finished up the DL-44 I found online too. There are a few inaccuracies about it, but would this be 'approvable' to use? That being said, Australia has pretty strict gun laws, so I don't actually think I would be allowed to have this with me on most troops!

Next up will be tea to the shirt, then hemming the vest, and expanding the boots, and cutting the rear belt thingy.

Yeah, there is a small, tiny, little detail... the scope dial should be closer to the scope mount...

If you can fix it, it will be OK...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEED HELP!

My pants have a 'riding seam' already in them... Though is this an approvable riding seam? I can't seem to find a direct answer from these forums!!

...Or would my 3 bits need to be the pintuck, boots, and embroidered blood stripes?

RedCupCosplay ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freppy wrote:
NEED HELP!

My pants have a 'riding seam' already in them... Though is this an approvable riding seam? I can't seem to find a direct answer from these forums!!

...Or would my 3 bits need to be the pintuck, boots, and embroidered blood stripes?

I'm not 100% sure about your riding seam. I don't think it would fail approval but I'm also not sure if it meets formal requirements - the SA seam goes over the seat of the trousers and right down the centre of each leg. The pintuck is easy enough to add though! The whole costume looks great so far!
freppy (William Bond)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to take the chance with the dodgy riding seam!! I've ordered the embroidered blood stripes on Etsy, so once they get here, and I can arrange for them to be sewn on, I should then be able to go for APPROVAL!

Just some minor things until then - the yokes on the vest to be unpicked and expanded, and some touch-ups to the droid-caller!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those same pants. If you have ANY basic sewing capability, it's not very hard to turn the odd curved riding seam into a straight down one. (the part that curves in is not really visible anyway) Also adding a pintuck seam is super easy, too.

But you're going to be MUCH happier with the real embroidered blood stripes. There's a huge jump in how good the pants look, once those are added.

Tea dyeing the shirt should be pretty simple. Although, if you want a huge jump up in accuracy, Magnoli Clothier's White Label shirt is pretty reasonably priced.

The only thing that worries me about your costume is the boots. Unless I'm seeing it wrong, it looks like they have a big front panel/flap that opens? I don't think that's allowed. They'll allow for a zipper on the inside, but not a big Velcro panel across the front like that.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have ZERO skill on a sewing machine... Though I could always ask the person I get to sew the embroidered blood stripes to have a go at the riding seam too! And yep, I was going to get the pintuck done at the same time as the blood stripes Very Happy

The shirt is actually all OK now! I did tea-dying and it looks great (IMO). I just haven't posted a photo of it yet haha..

And the boots are actually solid all the way - no velcro front panel that opens up!! BUT, I have since replaced these boots anyway, with ones that are a little bigger so it's easier for me to get my feet into... And still no zippers or opening panels Razz They will be the same boots I use for my Krennic build!
freppy (William Bond)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the embroidered blood striped in the mail today!

I'll be getting these sewn on (hopefully this weekend), and will also get the pintuck sewn in, and the vest fixed up (sewing the lower part in so it's shorter, and opening the rear yokes).

I'll check the shirt again to determine if the sleeves need to be shortened, though from memory they should be the correct length (in some photos they LOOK longer than they are)!

The suppler also gave me some nice patches I can put onto my RL jacket Very Happy

Han_Solo81 ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with DL-44 in my opinion is even the golden ring around scope, you are doing ANH version and not the Solo movie one. Classic Anh blaster didn't have that gold print.
freppy (William Bond)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries - the blaster isn't really required for approval in Australia due to the local laws regarding guns! I can see if I can get the blaster fixed before approval though!

Pants, vest, and shirt are at the tailor getting patched up... I'll have them back on Sunday.

Droid caller is still an issue... It's just the base section of the droid caller (the knurled bit on the bottom of it got knocked off a while ago and lost), plus I think I need to touch up the colours... So I'll fix this by getting a 25mm Dia gear, plus a washer, super glue them to the base, then paint over the whole thing with black and silver!
freppy (William Bond)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK fixed the droid caller... for 30 CENTS!

I stacked an AU 20c coin on top of a 10c coin - and this looks just like it did pre-breaking Very Happy haha...

A little bit of super glue, and a full re-paint, and it's ready to go.

Now to look at the blaster... Then once I get the soft parts back from the tailor I'll go for approval.

HOPEFULLY the whole elections doesn't extend approvals too much, there's a troop next weekend I want to get to...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: