Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=45e40f4efa36b55ccf3c0579ce42ff2dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Travel cases for costumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Travel cases for costumes Reply with quote

What kinds of cases are people using to transport their costumes?

What companies, features or materials should be considered or not considered? (Durability, wheels, telescoping handles, various plastic types, fiberglass, shell, etc.)

What are the pitfalls such as broken wheels, heavy for its size, etc.

My questions are likely answered better by the 501st or the Mercs for all the armor they tote, however I'm not a member with either. While here a search didn't yield any distinctly relevant results with an overwhelming 4000+ thread returns on the search.

Thanks for your answers.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the costume. For my B-wing pilot costume, Jedi and Resistance X-wing pilots, I store them in tubs for local travel. I have everything stored in the tubs, one for each costume.

For traveling out of the state my soft items can be folded and put into a suit case or a carry-on duffel bag (usually the latter) and I carry on my helmet in a helmet bag, which is also usually stuffed into the duffel bag with clothing around it to better protect it.

For armor costumes I know many people use a Hefty tote/tub with wheels and a handle, though I'm not sure of the exact model. For traveling to other states or countries... I don't really know. I've heard some people ship their armor to the location, but for those who don't ship I don't know. I have a big wooden trunk that I might put my armor in for flights.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aya-Na Bashu (Catherine Windsor)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 60" (152 cm) garment bag for my Jedi. I can either hang it, on flights that have that option, or fold it and put it in the overhead. It frees up space for boots, belt, and souvenirs.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke down and got one of the big (50 gallon, I think) Husky totes last year when I finished my x-wing pilot. The helmet wouldn't fit in the smaller one, and I wanted something I could roll around.

I don't need that much space for the rest of the costume, though. But I keep several costumes in my tote and for a long con, I just leave it there and voila! Done. Pilot one day, Rey the next, Luke another, etc. Easy peasy and worth it.

I also use this for Dragon Con and Celebration and have someone drive it there with all my stuff in it. One box and all the costumes. It's pretty sweet.

But for smaller events/local troops, it doesn't make sense to take a large tote. I just take a carry-on sized suitcase. Works great and can carry everything for two costumes easily. I keep Luke in one half and Rey in the other (it's one of the clamshell type designs) in case my other local Luke is there/to have a choice. Or I take my pilot. The only thing is, the helmet won't fit. So I put it in a bag and carry it. No biggie.

That's my current arrangement. On my tote, my lightsabers are in PVC tubes that velcro on. It's great. In the carry on, I just let them stick out the top of the zipper.

I'm considering getting one of those crate-like rolling tubs for my helmet and then putting costumes on top of it in a soft bag so everything can roll together, but the challenge is the footwear. Boots take up space. So I think I'll stick with this way for now?
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the huge Husky Job Box for my stormtrooper armor, but that's the biggest, most complex costume I own.

Most things fit just fine in smaller storage tubs, which keep things nicely protected and stack nicely in the garage. And usually they're small and light enough that's it's simplest to just carry those simple storage bins to the troop, rather than re-pack it into something more technically intended for transportation, or store things in transport-optimised (but long term storage and stacking UNoptimized) containers. (I hate packing and repacking stuff into different containers... I prefer to have dedicated containers for each costume so I never have to worry about missing parts) Small airline carryon suitcases are great for a lot of things, but if you have to store 10 of them, that's not a great option... and I have nearly 20 approved costumes, between RL and 501st.

For my X-Wing pilot I purchased a similar box, but smaller, from Home Depot. It's a tight fit and requires careful packing, but I actually can fit helmet, boots, and everything else in the bin, and keep it all safe. It wheels around easily since it's so much lighter than the giant armor bin, and fits in pretty much any car. (motorcycles may be a different story) Very comfortable to move around, particularly for those troops where it's a considerable distance between the car and the changing area.

(Obviously the orange paint on the lid is mine... I have serious bin decoration plans that I haven't quite gotten around to finishing!)

Honestly, most non-armor rebel costumes would fit just fine in one of these, but just as honestly, it's overkill for a lot of them, too. Many do just fine in a very small duffel bag or garment bag, plus maybe a boot case of some sort.

Oh, and for my Jedi, I add a fishing rod case to hold my saber blades. Works great, and cheap!

Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do repack for each troop. Everything lives in the big bin, in mesh bags by costume. I pull out he mesh bag and then put it in the carry-on bag when I troop. Usually.

But a lot of my smaller pieces are worn with multiple costumes (ie, Rey's arm bracer or belt), so I always have to repack anyway/can't have them 100% set up ahead of time.

Love that you mounted a mirror inside your big tote, kman. Super helpful! And that 15 gallon tote looks promising for a smaller tote for me. Hmmm....
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
I do repack for each troop. Everything lives in the big bin, in mesh bags by costume. I pull out he mesh bag and then put it in the carry-on bag when I troop. Usually.

But a lot of my smaller pieces are worn with multiple costumes (ie, Rey's arm bracer or belt), so I always have to repack anyway/can't have them 100% set up ahead of time.

Love that you mounted a mirror inside your big tote, kman. Super helpful! And that 15 gallon tote looks promising for a smaller tote for me. Hmmm....

I hear you, on the multiple costume parts.

I have an absolutely stupid amount of duplicate parts, to mostly combat that very issue, but of course you're right, and that's not always feasible. There are only so many pairs of jackboots and tall black Officer boots even I can reasonably own! (but smaller items like code cylinders, belts, etc., I actually do own multiples of)

Yes, that 15 gal tote is really nice. It really is a nicely scaled down 50 gal Husky, in all the good ways. I'm super tempted to pick up another so I can use it on something else... just not sure which other costume to give the high end treatment!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a billiards cue holder for my lightsaber. I hadn't thought about a fishing rod holder.

For now, we use just plain old Rubbermaid tubs for our armor costumes (husband and son are Mandos). They take abuse and are easier to load than the Husky totes (I have a Honda, so limited trunk space). My Jedi is in a garment bag. My Jawa is in a duffel bag.

So, basically to answer your question, "it depends." Are you going by plane, train, auto or pickup? Do you have help to carry or does it need to be easy to roll? How big/compact is it?

As for durability, I get more wear and tear out of Rubbermaid and Husky than I do the off brands.

I hope that helps!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the hilts of my sabers in whatever bag I'm using that day.

The blades are in PCV and either stick out the top of my carry-on or velcro to the big tote. The latter is so perfect. Both don't require me to use another hand or shoulder for them.

Gregory ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of each of the previously mentioned Husky bins. I use them mainly for cons and for my ESB Fett, which fits in the small bin if I duffle my helmet, or all in the large bin. I can fit Fett, my Obi-Wan and my Pilot together in the large bin if I am careful packing and easily if I duffle my Fett helmet.

wabbit89 the idea of velcroing your saber tubes to the bin is great, I've been wanting to do something but reluctant to affix a tube permanently for my Hasbro Kenobi saber.

If I'm just going as Kenobi or Pilot I use a duffle, it all fits and is light. The bins are good for long walks from parking/transit to changing area, but are heavy, especially the larger one, for lifting in and out of vehicles. They stack neatly as well, especially on other troopers bins of the same type. The telescoping handles are great, no wheel issues in 3 years and, the larger one has a lock and key if security is a concern. I always carry my wallet/keys/phone on my person even while trooping.
Old Man Kenobi in Alpha Base
Olympia, WA, USA
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory wrote:
wabbit89 the idea of velcroing your saber tubes to the bin is great, I've been wanting to do something but reluctant to affix a tube permanently for my Hasbro Kenobi saber.

If I'm just going as Kenobi or Pilot I use a duffle, it all fits and is light. The bins are good for long walks from parking/transit to changing area, but are heavy, especially the larger one, for lifting in and out of vehicles. They stack neatly as well, especially on other troopers bins of the same type. The telescoping handles are great, no wheel issues in 3 years and, the larger one has a lock and key if security is a concern. I always carry my wallet/keys/phone on my person even while trooping.

Thanks! It works really well. It’s been nearly a year and no issues. Just got a pack of the industrial Velcro tape and put a strip along the tubes and the tote. Done. I can actually open the lid with the sabers if I want. They don’t go anywhere.

Agreed on the bins being heavy. I can put mine in my truck alone, but prefer not to. And I’m with you on phone and wallet. Keys I’m a little more lax with. Wink Anyway...this works for me. I do very occasionally use a back pack for the lighter costumes. Heck, Death Star Luke is nearly nothing to carry. But those boots! So tall. So I usually do a wheeled carry on still.

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: hot Reply with quote

I keep my costumes in some heavier-duty Plano storage totes...mostly because they looked "space-y-er" than regular bins. I think the ones I have would fit something like Jyn's Imperial Ground Crew armor, but I'm not sure about the helmet (since I don't have any yet, I don't know for sure.) They do come in bigger sizes. [url] https://www.target.com/p/plano-56qt-storage-trunk-black/-/A-76486108[/url]

I also have a military surplus food container (it's basically an insulated box for transporting hot/cold food) similar to this one; I'm not sure if I'm going to convert it to a cool trunk or clean up and use it as a cooler. It's not very big.

I have what I think is a violin bow case (found it at Goodwill) which will hold two lightsaber hilts. I've been meaning to add elastic loops or something on the outside for the blades.

For trooping/cons, I can take the whole bin, they fit in my car. Or frankly, all of Jyn's clothes fit in the screen-accurate Czech military surplus bag she uses on Jedha. I usually just take that with weapons in a plastic pistol case, honestly.

For Celebration, I took the bus to Chicago, so I just put everything in a large hard-sided rolling suitcase because I only had soft costumes. I do have one of the rolling hardware bins with an extendable handle for my tools, if you had a lot of bulky/heavy parts, they would be really useful.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: hot Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
I keep my costumes in some heavier-duty Plano storage totes...mostly because they looked "space-y-er" than regular bins. I think the ones I have would fit something like Jyn's Imperial Ground Crew armor, but I'm not sure about the helmet (since I don't have any yet, I don't know for sure.) They do come in bigger sizes. [url] https://www.target.com/p/plano-56qt-storage-trunk-black/-/A-76486108[/url]

That Plano case is interesting! Super cheap (by comparison to the heavier-duty options). Definitely a step above the transparent bins I've been using for most of my costumes, and not that much more expensive. I'll be it could be painted to look pretty cool, in universe (much like my giant Husky case). No wheels, though, which limits how far you'll want to carry it, if it gets heavier when full. Any guess as to what yours weighs, loaded up?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: hot Reply with quote

kman wrote:
That Plano case is interesting! Super cheap (by comparison to the heavier-duty options). Definitely a step above the transparent bins I've been using for most of my costumes, and not that much more expensive. I'll be it could be painted to look pretty cool, in universe (much like my giant Husky case). No wheels, though, which limits how far you'll want to carry it, if it gets heavier when full. Any guess as to what yours weighs, loaded up?

Yeah, I got mine even cheaper on sale at Menards (they didn't have them listed on their website when I was looking for a link, so I'm not sure if they still carry them or not. They were shelved by the toolboxes, instead of by the regular storage bins.) They're pretty solid, and have padlock holes, too.

Right now, the Jyn bin is probably 15-20 pounds, and the heaviest one is probably under 30, though none of them are fully loaded. Due to the size and shape, and the nice deep handholds, even if they were a lot heavier they'd still be fairly easy to carry - much easier than carrying around my crafting supply bins! Some of the larger ones do come with wheels, though. Mine are the smallest size.

Jyn's bin has her name on it in Aurabesh (silver Sharpie). Eventually, I'd like to cover the Plano logo on the lid with some kind of "lock pad" style greeblie. There's no other logos visible, which is great if you want to make it look like an in-universe "spacer's chest" or something.

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: hot Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
kman wrote:

Yeah, I got mine even cheaper on sale at Menards (they didn't have them listed on their website when I was looking for a link, so I'm not sure if they still carry them or not. They were shelved by the toolboxes, instead of by the regular storage bins.) They're pretty solid, and have padlock holes, too.

Right now, the Jyn bin is probably 15-20 pounds, and the heaviest one is probably under 30, though none of them are fully loaded. Due to the size and shape, and the nice deep handholds, even if they were a lot heavier they'd still be fairly easy to carry - much easier than carrying around my crafting supply bins! Some of the larger ones do come with wheels, though. Mine are the smallest size.

Jyn's bin has her name on it in Aurabesh (silver Sharpie). Eventually, I'd like to cover the Plano logo on the lid with some kind of "lock pad" style greeblie. There's no other logos visible, which is great if you want to make it look like an in-universe "spacer's chest" or something.

I'm excited to pick a couple of these up, and see how I can trick them out. Smile

Some sort of control pad over the Plano logo would be awesome, no doubt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: