Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a9c41b0e5a0c64fcdb7dba57b7d78de1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RedCupCosplay's Finished ANH Han Solo Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCupCosplay ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: RedCupCosplay's Finished ANH Han Solo Build Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm really bad at remembering to start WIP threads, so I'm doing what I always do, which is go back and write a really long post of how I did what I did.

As ever, I wanted to make an entire set of ANH Han soft parts. When I first started cosplaying about a year ago I ran up a (really poorly made) vest just to see if I could sew anything and that's really what kicked off my cosplay journey. Flash forward a year later and I decided I was finally going to legitimise my ANH costume by remaking the vest and the trousers.

Up until that point for the few photos I'd taken in ANH I'd used my bad vest and a pair of denim chinos with ironed on blood stripes.

I'd made a flannel ANH shirt that I was (and still am) really proud of - the pattern is pretty dead on and it's ridiculously comfortable, so that was really the only part of my 'original' attempt that I kept.

The first upgrades for me were a new pair of trousers. To do this I slightly reworked the pattern I'd originally developed for my ESB build. This basically involved heightening the rise, dropping the crotch slightly, and adding more room in the seat - my original ESB trousers are pretty weirdly fitted because they were my first attempt.

I used a really nice dark-mid blue stretch denim for added comfort and I'm really thrilled with the selection. The blood stripes were purchased from someone I know on Instagram who had a spare set - I don't know where he got them from originally unfortunately.

To begin with I obviously started by cutting out my pattern pieces. I didn't redraft my patterns, I just made my adjustments directly onto the fabric by enlarging certain parts as I marked them on with chalk.

I always begin trousers by sewing and top-stitching the riding seam - I'm lucky enough to have an overlocker now so I can keep the insides looking neat and professional.

Essentially I start at the back of the trousers and work my way forward, alternating legs so they're both at the same point of construction, so next up came adding the blood stripes and top stitching. These are always relatively straightforward but this time round I did something I'd neglected to do for my ESB trousers, and that was to follow a curve at the hip of the trousers to improve the fit - making this amendment massively helped the final product as you'll see later on.

After the backs and stripes were done the next job was to add the front panels to the other side of each blood stripe and top stitch. Once that part is completed I then do the pintuck on each front leg. I overlocked everything as I went along.

After each leg reached this point I just turned the legs inside out and sewed up the inseam. Then came sewing the crotch together and setting the zip and (barring the belt loops) they were done!

I'm proud to say these are probably the best thing I think I've ever sewn and the jump in quality from my ESB trousers to these is enormous.

After that I quickly began work on my new vest! My first attempt was a little long in the body and really badly made because I'd never sewn anything before so I knew that when I did this one I wanted to nail that cropped, slim look of the original. I feel that I perhaps went a little *too* short in the back with mine, but to be honest, I like it like that as it better captures my own memory of the costume.

I began by drafting my own pattern - this is entirely scratch made as I used the body pieces from the Dawn Anderson Falcon Jacket - just heavily cropped, but I scratch drafted everything else. Each pocket was loosely based on measurements available online, but slightly shrunk down to better fit my smaller frame.

I ordered a generous amount of heavy black cotton twill, and after a quick wash and dry to remove any and all shrink from the material, I was good to go!

In one fell swoop I managed to make all my pockets and assemble one side of the vest. My one complaint is that the top left pocket of the vest isnt as far over to the armhole as the original, so I know to watch out for this next time.

Essentially I just methodically worked my way through, adding pockets to the front one by one, and then moved onto the back.

The back is pretty standard as we all know, one large pocket right beneath four loops - To do the loops I used one long strip of fabric, sewing it down at each edge and at three equal intervals. I'm thrilled with how neat the back looks!

After that all that was left to do was to sew the sides and shoulders together, add the lining (I do this by making the lining as I would the vest, pinning it to the vest with the lining on the outside, sewing up each front and along the neckhole and flipping them then the right way round. I think top stitch to keep everything in place. This creates a really nice, neat neck hole) and add the waistband.

Now with all the soft parts done, I quickly snapped some pictures for Insta and I have to say I'm really pleased with the fit of this costume! I'm pictured here with my ESB Todd's rig with the buckles temporarily reversed. I've managed to snag a second hand ANH rig that's currently on its way to me, so there will be more and updated photos of that to come.

The blaster is a DoopyDoos ANH V2 and I love this piece! The cast was clean and solid and the detail on it is stunning.

The boots are a second hand pair of riding boots that a VERY well worn - they're a little more trashed than Han's boots but I love the look, and most importantly they fit my calves loose enought to slouch down.

The gloves and trousers belt are both Magnoli. I darkened the gloves with a little oil to give them the more yellowy appearance we see in A New Hope.

For now that's me done! Once my new gun rig arrives I'll be taking some submission photos and sending it in! This is way more comfortable than my ESB gear and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Up until now I thought I'd always prefer ESB over ANH, but I guess you never can beat the original!

Sorry for the essay and pic spam, I don't know if images are displaying properly or not, so apologies in advance if they come up massive!

RCC
YunSolo92 ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what size is that Todd's rig, and how's the fit on you? I've been looking at getting one myself.
RedCupCosplay ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YunSolo92 wrote:
Looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what size is that Todd's rig, and how's the fit on you? I've been looking at getting one myself.

Thanks mate! This Todds rig is a second hand ESB with the buckles reversed, I believe it's a 32 but I wear a 30 usually, hence why you can see it's conceded in a little tight at the back, hiding a set of snaps. Generally I'm really impressed with the Todd's and they can be altered more permanently to better fit, I just haven't gotten round to sorting this one yet.
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread this one! It was very interesting to read. Indeed you've done a very good job, as always. By the way, the details look fantastic, very inspiring! Good luck getting the approval Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking build! The pants really look great!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! I really really want a new pair of pants, but man, sewing pants scares me!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Great job! I really really want a new pair of pants, but man, sewing pants scares me!

Thanks man! To be honest sewing the trousers is actually way easier than I would've thought, I've now made three pairs (mockups, ESB, and ANH) and once you've worked out your pattern they're deceptively simple!

I'd say have a go - I'm no expert but if you need any help or have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
RedCupCosplay ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookscastle wrote:
Good looking build! The pants really look great!

Thank you mate! I really appreciate that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: