Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2700a78877a11f5e253b7b91b150e96cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

General Obi-Wan Kenobi TCW S1 W.I.P. by LMC3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rushfett ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever work out those collar pieces?
gideon00 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be following, thinking about starting this build as well
NavySith ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my next build so I'll be following your build as well

lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of updates - free time to work on this build has been minimal as has the motivation, but with the Clone Wars returning and Celebration coming up soon, I have resumed work! Still trying to work out the collar issue.
Instead of trying for perfection on this, I just want to be done! I've had some successes and failures, but hope to start painting some of the armor pieces this weekend. If I do, I'll post some updates.
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this as this will probably be my next OWK build

Costumes:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode III
Jayse001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Have you got any updates on this build?
Would love to see the finish.
lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bad as I am about finding time to work on Star Wars costumes, Iím even worse about keeping my WIPs updated! LOL Kenobi has been completed & approved for several months now and Iím just now getting this WIP updated Ė sorry!

Anyway, it took working on this armor off and on for over 3 years, my General Obi-Wan Kenobi from the Clone Wars is complete! My thanks to Imperial Surplus for the great armor kit and assembly/painting/weathering tips/videos, Warren Markert (Tailors of Mos Eisley) for the soft parts/belt/pouches, Custom Lightsabers, Roman Props, and Tk1389 Imperial Depot. Additionally, my thanks to Shay Kenobi for the great WIP and advice over the years as well as to Brian Williams for teaching me how to use ABS paste to do seamless joins on the armor. Couldnít have done this without those two guys!

I actually wore Kenobi several times during Celebration in Chicago, after painting and sanding the week leading up to my trip, finishing up last minute work in the hotel room, and walking around with the armor literally held together by gorilla tape! But, after Celebration, tweaked a few things (skirt needed to be hemmed about 6 inches as it was too long) and replaced the tape w/ Velcro & magnets and was officially approved on June 15.

lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed directions many times over the course of my build. The decision to use ABS paste to do the seamless join on the forearms and shins was very time consuming and a lot of trial and error. I used a Ryobi Corner Cat to smooth out the ABS paste after it hardened. Learned the hard way what pressure to use and motions so that I didnít sand away the plastic too much or change the shape of the armor too much. I also had to go back and add material to make the square corners on the elbows as I originally cut those w/ the lines that were built into the armor. I used the same technique w/ the ABS paste to smooth out the material.

I attempted several times to try to emulate Shay Kenobiís build on the shins by adding in the Kenobi-specific shape to the front. Tried using his approach and then tried to design a 3d printed add-on with mixed results. Ultimately, since it was not required for approval and I wanted to be done, I removed those mods and just went back to the way they came from Imperial Surplus.

lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Jedi symbol on the shoulder bell, I downloaded the image and had my wife printout a cut-out template using her Cricut. Getting the template to lay down properly on the shoulder bell was a challenge and took two people. Ultimately, we had to cut the template in a few places and then line it up by eye. I then added ample painterís tape around the template and hit it with the spray paint. Very happy with how that turned out.

Last edited by lmc3 () on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weathering was a pain. I looked at several YouTube videos to try to figure out how to do this without overdoing it. Ultimately, some of the imperfections in the seamless join became moot as the weathering covered up a lot of those issues. That was a nice realization that in retrospect would have saved a lot of time over the course of the build. I attempted to emulate the same images that Shay referenced in his build. Getting the Jedi symbol on the shoulder bell to weather appropriately was a pain. I weathered the shoulder bell right at the 24 hour mark of letting the paint dry on the symbol. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but the bell has an overall reddish tint due to the symbol paint. Itís only noticeable on close inspection, but something I would like to clean up at some point.
lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neck seal was also a pain. Finally decided to make two cuts with my Dremmel at the back corners to allow it to open. I added magnets for the neck seal to close. The seam is visible, but itís from the back, so not too noticeable. My bigger issue is that it doesnít sit flush with the back of the shoulder armor. I used a heat gun to change the shape of the shoulder armor slightly to sit flatter on my shoulders. This may have had the effect of the neck seal not wanting to sit flush at the back. The back piece is attached to the shoulder armor with Velcro. Iím not 100% happy w/ this as it sometimes doesnít sit flush as you can see in the photo. Will likely try to figure out a magnet approach to this to ensure it sits right every time.

lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still work to be done on the costume. My tunic needs to be tailored to close up the arm holes. This should have the effect of the front not bulging out. I would like to figure out a different neck seal option at some point. And I would like to re-do the Velcro/magnet closings on the forearms and shins so that the opening is more flush.

Would of course love to upgrade my comlink to have electronics incorporated into it so that it lights up. I designed my comlink myself based on screencaps from the Clone Wars. The back of it has a recessed hole for magnets that then attach to a metal strip on the left forearm.

lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the whole, this is my most comfortable costume to wear as well as my first approved Rebel Legion costume. I have 9 other 501st approved costumes but this is the first that doesnít have a mask or helmet of some kind. Itís quite a different trooping experience with your face in full view! LOL

I ended up getting a second lightsaber, this time from Roman Props. This is slightly more accurate than my LDM saber, but has no electronics. It is primarily intended to be a display piece / belt hanger.

While I know it is not part of the CRL for the costume, nor did it appear in the Clone Wars, the Kenobi action figure included a Clone helmet. I thought this would be cool to have, so I procured a Season 1-3 Clone Grunt helmet with the visor/antenna package from TK1389 Imperial Depot. Not 100% happy with the way my weathering turned out, but I think itís pretty cool nonetheless.

lmc3 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun shots @ Star Wars Celebration in Chicago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: