Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4ebceb5dc92af374f1d3f994198147a4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP "Old Ben" (+Boots Problem)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: WIP "Old Ben" (+Boots Problem) Reply with quote

Hello there,
at first i have to apologize because I had to use the Google Translator for some words or phrases.

My problem is:
I am currently working on a "Ben Kenobi" costume. I have a problem with the shoes. I have short, wide feet and broad calves. That's why most boots do not suit me. I already have tryed many models at e.g. Maskworld or ETSY and dozens of riding boots.
An Old Ben costume needs "Brown leather or leather-like boots". Does that have to be knee-high boots? Would half-high boots be enough? For Example:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07B978BS5/?coliid=I37KDY9KD89ASG&colid=1OFUQIFD4LQET&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1 (the brown ones)

This is a general question. But the example shows well what I mean.

Another idea is to take western boots and remove the leather straps that go around the foot. Is there any experience to that approach?

I already ordered a better shirt. Stand-up collar with long arms and a better matching brown.
Then only the cloak is missing. I am still looking at whether there are good sources for a "pointed hood" model.

I would be very happy about feedback, to the bootproblem as well as to the costume itself
Best regards
Leo

Last edited by ForceLeo () on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the same model and make as the screen used boots though the sole matches the ones seen in the Lucasfilm Archives and the touring Obi-Wan costume from A New Hope.

The screen used boots had Vibram Soles. Which are more like the soles featured on the link to boots you posted.

In every other respect these are identical to what Alec Guinness wore in the movie:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRYE-VTG-MENS-BROWN-LEATHER-CAMPUS-RIDING-BOOTS-SZ-8-D/312554914981?hash=item48c5b984a5:g:LFUAAOSwQXdceFLk&frcectupt=true
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Psab Keel,

Thank you for your feedback. Of course I know the Frye boots. I have theme measured and would need two/three sizes bigger shoes, so that fits the calf.
But I do not walk well with it or safely.

Therefore, the question of half-high boots if that is generally possible for approval.

Best Regards
Leo
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the boots you linked would be similar enough to be approvable. If we know what boots were used onscreen, I would guess that would be the ideal to shoot for. You may have to find a custom bootmaker which is unfortunately not cheap.

But, the best thing to do would be to reach out to your local base and talk to whomever will be judging you to see what they are looking for.
BadJawa ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha,

If you go frame-by-frame through A New Hope as Old Ben is running through the Death Star having used The Force to create a distraction (at least, I think it’s that point) you can see THE BOOTS.

Luckily the image is possible to find on the internet, and I think that there is even an image link on a thread on this forum.

THE BOOTS are a 14” tall rigger/engineer boot in tan with a cuban heel. It hasn’t been made for decades now, and you’d need to get a custom bootmaker to make it for you.

Having said that, for most of the film it’s only the toes that can be seen, and that is all that I would expect to see from anyone wearing the costume. I can’t comment on what an LCJ would accept, but working to the Costume Requirements is, at this point, probably better than beating yourself up over a pair of boots that can only be seen in a still.

Cheers,
Steve.
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help, i endet up on this:

And im finished so far with it. Lets see what the judges say.

Thanks for the help!
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think you're good to go. The rest of the costume looks fantastic, so good luck!
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that they look close enough to the Frye Campus boots that you should be good. Everything looks great BTW!

I'm currently at work on my Ben Kenobi too. Best of luck in your submission!
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its approved Smile

Topic can be closed

I'm so exited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: