Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5bd61129aab53076bb2255ff5c7bff9fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resistance Rey Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krydda ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Resistance Rey Build Thread Reply with quote

This might wind up with some crazy detailed posts, I really need a space to put down all my thoughts/notes on this costume.

Current to-do-list:
Pants
Shirt
Belt
Holster
Vest
Gauntlets
Arm Wraps
Bag

I'm shooting for Celebration, however, if it starts to look like I won't make it I'll hold the vest & gauntlets until after and go as "Training Rey" for the event, then wrap it up after. I really just need something to wear while wrangling Kylo.

I've got the pants mocked up and I'm going to begin all the modifications to them. They are olive-drab twill pants that change color depending on the lighting situation...so that's perfect. Unfortunately I bought them prior to finding out the originals are some sort of micro-suede but I'll make them work.

I'll be adding the decorative whip stitching. From the detailed pics I have of the costume the side stitches go in a high-to-low formation. The horizontal stitching on the pin-tuck across her thigh goes in a right-to-left formation.

It's worth noting that the bottom of the pant won't cling quite that tightly once finished. There's 7" of rolled fabric underneath, and the side slit hasn't been opened yet. Edit: I'm also 2-3" shorter than Daisy.

Whip-stitching reference pics (just to explain my thought process above):
https://i.imgur.com/EzXvnky.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zLoiv4Y.jpg
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color on your pants looks great here! The suede texture is not required, and getting the color right is more important in my opinion. Good luck with your build!
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
Krydda ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeniwan wrote:
The color on your pants looks great here! The suede texture is not required, and getting the color right is more important in my opinion. Good luck with your build!

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm very pleased with the color indeed. They're that perfect funny "olive" color that goes greyish-taupe in certain lighting situations.

After going through six knee pads I finally managed a decent pair, I've sewn them down to the pants with an invisible stitch and I started the decorative whip stitching last night.

I'll post a better photo of the entire pants as soon as I'm done with all of the whip stitching. They look pretty silly without it, hence the crazy zoomed in photo right now...

Though I've found the knee pads make decent pin cushions as I work.
Krydda ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geeze here I go with overthinking things.

So I keep making the mistake of comparing my costume to other people's costumes. When the pants aren't physically on me, the horizontal seams look a little big.

Except, when compared to the actual pants the size of the seam looks pretty accurate.

Keep in mind the seam-to-pad spacing, as well as the height of the pad itself, had to shrink a tiny bit to keep in proportion to my body. Sad I am sadly not as tall as Daisy. The way this fabric is behaving is really frustrating to me. It's like a mid-weight semi-stretch fabric so it isn't behaving at all like the suede fabric of her actual pants, which seems pretty heavy weight and non-stretchy.

Edit - I attacked the pants with an iron and I might do it one more time for good measure but it seemed to flatten out some of the puffiness in the whip stitching (that shouldn't be there, but my fabric is much less sturdy) so I'm happier with where things are sitting and how they are looking. Still a little frustrated, but I'm trying.

Also those knee pads are perfectly centered on the pants. I apparently just can't stand straight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: