Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=19231eec7b801ada1a33861c2d5ba53aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode IX Costume Approvals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Episode IX Costume Approvals? Reply with quote

With the recent leak of possible images from Episode 9, I had a question in regards to costume approvals. Will there be a hold on all costume submissions from the upcoming film like there was for "Solo"? Meaning no one can submit a costume for review until after the film is released?

In progress/planning: SW 7 Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode IX Costume Approvals? Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
With the recent leak of possible images from Episode 9, I had a question in regards to costume approvals. Will there be a hold on all costume submissions from the upcoming film like there was for "Solo"? Meaning no one can submit a costume for review until after the film is released?

Natalie,

The answer is most likely we will not allowing costume approvals with only a few images released. Without sufficient reference materials to review a costume it difficult to insure it will be the accurate to the movie. However, this does not prevent people from working on costumes, but the caveat is there may need to be changes in costume to match the costume most accurately in the movie.

Also keep in mind with the December release of the movie, this would be after elections and this policy may change depending on the admin team for RL at that time.

Thanks,

--Bill

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt response. Appreciate it!!

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I believe it's possible to wear a "work in progress" costume to any event,
as long as you get permission from your Base CO.
this applies to any costume you're working on, even if it's from a well-known movie like the OT.
if your Base CO gives permission, then its sort of like a 'day pass'.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there will be better images released between now and the movie release, but I can't imagine anyone would *approve* a costume based on the extremely low quality images that have been leaked so far.

Recent movies, the policy has been to wait until the movie is out, unless posters and trailers can give very clear details of all sides of the costume, which is rare. That's how it was handled with Solo, IIRC.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I was referring to this post the LMO made in reference to "Solo" costumes.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95306

I realize people will be making these costumes regardless but was curious as to if this would be the stance for Episode IX as well.

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the post in question:

LMO wrote:
BCOs will be able to give temporary approval of costumes from the new film to troop premiere events.

I think this is the best way to handle it.

otherwise, we'd get a situation where people with early approvals would be "grandfathered in", similar to old jedi costumes (for example).

when the standards change (as they often do) then people with old approvals are never required to get "Re-judged" under the new rules -- their past approvals are never revoked -- they are "grandfathered-in", under the old rules. (so to speak).

the same thing would happen with ep-IX costumes: people would be 100% "approved" for membership in the RL, based on bad references --- and later, once we get proper reference images, then these early-approvals cannot be revoked.

it's much better to give people "temporary" approvals (by their base BCO) so they can attend the premiers. and put all "official" approvals on hold until proper standards can be written, after the movie is released.

this makes a lot of sense.

Cobalt-60 wrote:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LadySolo and Cobalt-60's stance on the subject, of temporary BCO approval for individual troops near a release, and that formal approval would wait until full image material is available for a costume.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kievan Mereel wrote:
I agree with LadySolo and Cobalt-60's stance on the subject, of temporary BCO approval for individual troops near a release, and that formal approval would wait until full image material is available for a costume.

For sure. It works, people can troop, and approvals can begin with a complete picture/s rather than speculation.

Hi Sam.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011–2013 • LCJ • Takodana Base XO • Legion Webmaster
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Very Happy The CO can give temporary approval to troop the premiers. We have had too much trouble with approvals happening on too few reference images before and/or relying on promo shoots and figurines, which often does quite match what is seen on screen. E.g. promo photos are almost always manipulated so the colors are off. *coughadmiralholdocough*

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
from the post in question:

LMO wrote:
BCOs will be able to give temporary approval of costumes from the new film to troop premiere events.

I think this is the best way to handle it.

otherwise, we'd get a situation where people with early approvals would be "grandfathered in", similar to old jedi costumes (for example).

Cobalt-60 wrote:

Yes to all of the above but also costumes from the new movies are often actually requested which would put us all at a disadvantage if we had no way to allow for this.

It would be amazing if we could actually do this at a legion level, as it is I'll also be encouraging my local base to use the costuming forums here to find that balance between aiming for accuracy and aiming for cohesion across the clubs.

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you had to have submitted before you could request base clearance? and it was more a 'my costume is not approved yet, because the queue is long/or whatever and there is an event coming up'

and the premiere is like its own thing where you get a temporary clearance so you can attend in that character, because its the premier?

My biggest problem with clearing stuff before we have the screen shots, is the arguing.........I don't have a problem with people having 'grandfathered costumes' but its when they insist theirs is how it should be done, that it creates problems. Especially if they made it using only like 3 promo pics.

Some people become really defensive and insist because they have been 'cleared', other people will be cleared if they copy them even though the references show lots of additional info or different colours.......at detachment level where it is our job to help people, this makes it very difficult when you are constantly undermined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: