Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=679dbce32bb9730f28089a42b944c481Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor trooper - Helmet wip help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Endor trooper - Helmet wip help! Reply with quote

Hello friends, I'm working on my Endor trooper and a RL member of our Italian Base helped me for the helmet/donut: he provided me both soft part and donut. But maybe there are some problems I'd like to resolve before submitting the application. Please, help me identifying what's wrong and needs correction, I'm in serious trouble...
Thank you very much for your help!

- We clones were bred for combat -
Cpt. Rex
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that soft helmet is exactly 100% correct, but I don't know that the small variances would prevent approval. Obviously the donut needs more sanding and smoothing, and paint. What specifically are you concerned about?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for reply:-)
Even if I read a lot inside and outside the forum, I'm uncertain about the details of this helmet: at first sight it is very beautiful, but:
- Isn't the leather part too much extended?
- Is it correct/approvable the ribbed part extended in the rear?
- Has the donut the correct shape or is it too "bold"/"high" in the mid rear?
- Is the visor too big? Is it better to unsew it from the soft part and screw it to the donut?

It's an important part of the costume, and I don't want to do mistakes with it!
Thank you!

Cpt. Rex
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are two different questions and considerations, here:

1) Is it 100% perfectly screen-accurate?
2) Is it approvable, even if not 100% screen accurate?

The answer is, no, it's not perfect. There are definitely differences comparing to the screen-used assets.

As to approvable or not, though, frankly I would *guess* that it's approvable, but I can't say for sure, only a judge can. JUDGES: CAN YOU WEIGH IN, IF SOMEONE IS READING THIS THREAD?

SOFT HELMET:
Again, I think the basic shape of the soft helmet is in the right ballpark, although it's definitely not exact. I suspect it is close enough to be approvable.

I base my guess on the many varied hand-made copies I have seen posted here (copies of the actual AN-H-15 soft helmets that were modified for the on-screen versions), which have been approved, even though they're not perfect matches.

You can see some pretty good photos of the actual AN-H-15 helmets here:

https://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/ww2-summer-flying-helmet-an-h-15

There are also usually a couple up for sale on eBay at any given time that may have good photos included, for more photo references.

LEATHER:
As you can see, looking at those photos, the leather is very different compared to the version you were given. (Note that these AN-H-15 helmets come with either 3 or 4 snaps on each side, and in black leather as in these photos, in more of a medium brown similar to what was used on your helmet, and in a sort of taupe / light brown: ALL are acceptable and all were used onscreen in various places in ROTJ)

RIBBING:
The ribbed top itself, for the screen-used helmets, was actually attached to the donut / ring, not directly to the soft helmet. But both options tend to be approvable. I point this out, however, to note that the ribbed portion should definitely NOT extend down below the back of the donut. That's the part that worries me the most, as far as approvability is concerned. But again, only a judge can let you know for sure whether they'd be ok with it.

BRIM:
The brim itself almost certainly falls into the "close enough" territory. Again, for screen used helmets, I believe the brim was actually attached to the donut, and not the soft helmet. But when worn, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference, and both ways are definitely approvable. Size-wise, it looks like it's in the right ballpark to me, so I wouldn't worry about that.

EARCUPS:
The earcups themselves look pretty good. I don't think you have anything to worry about, there. That said: Have you actually tried this on yet? Are these your photos of YOUR helmet, or stock photos from the vendor? I ask because those ear cups look a little low to me. Are they actually over your ears? If so, no worries. Might just be the way it's sitting on the foam head. But it looks a bit low to me.

DONUT / ARMOR RING:
As for the donut itself, IMO it's in the right ballpark. I think I'd agree it comes down a little low, in the back, particularly the part that appears to extend about an inch down from the indentation rows along the back? BUT I suspect it's close enough to being in the right ballpark that it would not be denied. AGAIN: Only a judge can say for sure, but that's my take on it. Based on the other varied donuts I've seen approved, I think this donut is close enough that it would likely be approved as well.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say sand the seams on the donut and paint, then it should be good to go!

Jim Thatcher
Mos Espa BMO
RAID: Endor Commando, Rebel Marine (Scarif) - 307th Desert Rats
COR: Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
KJO: Luke Skywalker (Death Star Duel) - Temple Arkanis
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. As I suspected, approvable. (once finished, of course).

Go go go! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies!
Kman, you're very exhaustive. I try to add something...

-These are pics of my wip helmet, all handmade by a friend and member of Italian Base; he used as reference the pictures found in the book "Star Wars - Costumes - The original Trilogy" (Brandon Alinger).

-The helmet is very comfortable, it sits perfectly on my head and the earcups are perfectly centered on my ears. At this time the leather part has been modified following the book I mentioned above.

Looking at the helmet on my head, I feel happy with the proportions of the donut...the pics I've posted didn't look like that.
I'm in trouble with the ribbed part in the rear, I know...at this point it means to destroy the soft cap just to remove that portion of ribbed fabric, I don't know how to do it...

Tomorrow I'll start to paint the donut, but the big question about that ribbed part remains...

Cpt. Rex
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloneHeart wrote:
I'm in trouble with the ribbed part in the rear, I know...at this point it means to destroy the soft cap just to remove that portion of ribbed fabric, I don't know how to do it...

Tomorrow I'll start to paint the donut, but the big question about that ribbed part remains...

Jim Thatcher, who posted above, is a costume judge. So I wouldn't worry about it. No, it's not really accurate, but if the judge says he'd approve it, I think you're in good shape. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I understand, but I know that my cap has a noticeable mistake...we will see... Crying or Very sad
Yesterday I started to paint the donut, but the color I prepared was totally wrong, I need to replace.
I also have to find the correct dimensions of the red/yellow simbol on the donut's side...
So, let's work, quick...

Cpt. Rex
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloneHeart wrote:
...I understand, but I know that my cap has a noticeable mistake...we will see... Crying or Very sad
Yesterday I started to paint the donut, but the color I prepared was totally wrong, I need to replace.
I also have to find the correct dimensions of the red/yellow simbol on the donut's side...
So, let's work, quick...

Just eyeball the symbol. As long as you're in the right ball park, it should be fine. I usually just print off a few different sizes from photoshop, onto paper, and cut them out with scissors and hold them on the ring until I see the one that looks right. Measure it, and there you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: