Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8a19379561ea7e515fe6bf281ffdefe4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels Animated Series Mon Mothma jump suit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Animated Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Rebels Animated Series Mon Mothma jump suit Reply with quote

Are there costume standards or guidelines for this as yet?
I have scanned through standards and see no mention of it.

Last edited by jedibarriss (Teresa Becker) on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: WIP to begin Reply with quote

I am anticipating doing this so I am posting images as reference. [img]mmreb3 by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

[img]mmreb by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

[img]gauntlet by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

[/img]neckline by Teresa Becker, on Flickr [/img]

[img]topgarment by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

I will add others as I find them.
There are two shades of white and they are not bright white but probably along the shades of her other outfits I have and those are more eggshell or off white but not in the creamy yellow range. The shoulder pins aare different but medal of freedom is similar. The boots, shown in poor lighting as seen so far seem black or dark grey

I would also conclude that there is piping on the bicep and collar and neckline that continues from the sleeve across the chest as seen in the side view shot. . It could be black or gray . The belt appears to be about 2 inches wide and silver in color

Any other reference shots from the series added here will help.

Last edited by jedibarriss (Teresa Becker) on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this one!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no standard for this yet....I think someone started making one, but I can't remember who, compiling references either here or on your WIP would be great as all the new standards need pictures.

What would be really great is if we can get the turnaround for it. As some of those images are not totally clear.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only images are screen captures from the Rebels series. One of my friends sent me these to use in my build. The animated versions are more difficult to work with I see. I have Rogue 1, Ep 6 and ROTS versions from the movies. I am going with those same colors of fabrics as her style of tabbard in this is the same as the movie in deleted scene of ROTS. I see no reason to let the lighting of the animations conclude other colors.

[img]boots2 by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]
This tunic is similar to the one in ROTS but it is cut shorter and tapers a bit at the waist. the tunic has a high collar and is cut to a V in front to the top of the sternum. The boots are gray . Her gauntlet on the left has 3 insets for communication and both gauntlets are cut the same but not full all around. The sleeves of her suit are puffed a bit at the elbow then tight under the gauntlet to the wrist. The sleeves and the leggings have piping or a line on them that is U shaped on sleeve and inverted U shape below knee on legging. There is a wide( approx 2 inches) silver belt that comes lower in the front than the back. Buckle type is not visible behind the tabbard.
The jewelry is silver as in her other versions but the shoulder broaches are circular as seen in pictures. The pendant is the Chandrilla medal as in Ep 6 war scene. Three strands of silver cording are in front and two in the back .

[img]boots by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

The tunic extends to mid thigh both front and back and has a broad U shape edge. Tunic fabric is free of pattern or designs.

[/img]boots by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[img]

The just below the knee high boots appear to have a low heel and almost flat with black soles. Two strands of her necklace extend to the back across the shoulder blades

[img]buttonbroach by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

Detail of shoulder pin/broach

[img]innergauntlet by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

view showing inner arm and how gauntlet is not full around arm.
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have been researching this build for about a year now- glad to see someone else interested as well! Yay for all the Mothma's!

jedibarriss wrote:
...the only images are screen captures from the Rebels series.

We do have high resolution ones from some scenes as well as the 360 from the animators. This is what is typically used for animated builds.

jedibarriss wrote:
I am going with those same colors of fabrics as her style of tabbard in this is the same as the movie in deleted scene of ROTS. I see no reason to let the lighting of the animations conclude other colors.

Here is the 360 for her Rebels animation. As you can see from the color pulls, her jumpsuit is a pale gray- so I would keep that in mind.

jedibarriss wrote:
This tunic is similar to the one in ROTS but it is cut shorter and tapers a bit at the waist. the tunic has a high collar and is cut to a V in front to the top of the sternum. ... The tunic extends to mid thigh both front and back and has a broad U shape edge. Tunic fabric is free of pattern or designs.

Totally agree, mandarin collar and a very similar structure to the ROTS tunic. The Rebels one is almost more like a medieval tabbard with a collar.

jedibarriss wrote:
...The boots are gray. ...The just below the knee high boots appear to have a low heel and almost flat with black soles.

Boots also have a color blocking detail- a darker grey on either side with light grey diagonal lines.

jedibarriss wrote:
Her gauntlet on the left has 3 insets for communication and both gauntlets are cut the same but not full all around. The sleeves of her suit are puffed a bit at the elbow then tight under the gauntlet to the wrist.

I actually think that it is a full gauntlet- if you look at the way many of the mando gauntlets are designed, the place where you are seeing a cutout is rather an indentation. On the 360, it is clearly a different color than her sleeve and the same color as the rest of the gauntlet.

jedibarriss wrote:
The sleeves and the leggings have piping or a line on them that is U shaped on sleeve and inverted U shape below knee on legging. There is a wide (approx 2 inches) silver belt that comes lower in the front than the back. Buckle type is not visible behind the tabbard.

Agree- this kind of seaming and color-blocking (which isn't used here) are super typical in the animated series.

jedibarriss wrote:
The jewelry is silver as in her other versions but the shoulder broaches are circular as seen in pictures. The pendant is the Chandrilla medal as in Ep 6 war scene. Three strands of silver cording are in front and two in the back. .... Two strands of her necklace extend to the back across the shoulder blades.

Agree on the cording and the shoulder brooches- the medallion is unique to the cartoon. There are actually 3-D print files available on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2645006

Some additional references:

Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)

Last edited by RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen) on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen these images from Wolf. It says they are concept images

Those details he has done to the boots are not seen in any images I have seen from the series. I thought we were supposed to use images actually used in the tv series or movie etc.. not preliminary drawings from concept artists. In fact, for one of his images the markings on the leggings are different from the other images and it is drawn inverted. This is nowhere in the tv version. I do not get that channel and was not able to watch the series. I have not done any animated ones before but I think, as with other costumes, we should use references from what is actually seen on the screen and not what is shown as 'concepts' ..

If you have other images that show this from the TV program then that would help make them real to me.

Also, when you look just below the gauntlet you see the seams of the sleeves .. It is a tough call when looking at animated characters because the drawings are not always consistent and the flow of fabric and parts is deceiving and open to interpretation a lot more.
Thanks for link to the print files.. I know lot5s of folks with printers.. ..

Last edited by jedibarriss (Teresa Becker) on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
antoa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedibarriss wrote:

My understanding of the 360’s is that they are made for the final versions. All that work wouldn’t be put into the concept phase of design. Concepts are generally quick sketches.
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoa wrote:
jedibarriss wrote:

My understanding of the 360’s is that they are made for the final versions. All that work wouldn’t be put into the concept phase of design. Concepts are generally quick sketches.

In animation, a character turn around like that in full render and colors is traditionally a final render, as it is cost ineffective to develop it fully on thumbs/roughs. I would treat this one as the character design and a primary source. The suit is a light gray, I would lean to "Pantone Cool Gray 3".
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have not seen the series and not done an animated version of any costumes, I will rely on those more experienced with doing this. I thought someone else would have done this by now but it I like the challenges and have three other of her movie costumes so why not.. lol

I will keep posting images as I go along. Thanks for the input.
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a governor Pryce and I'm mid build of a CW Night sister. So I will help where I can.

The 360 is what I was talking about - the asset/turnaround picture.

Generally animated builds use these as the first point of reference, as they have no colour overlays there is no motion etc. The colours are for lack of a better word, production colours.....then you use screen shots for detail.

Its tricky with animated because you sort of want it to look animated for it to look accurate if that makes sense, so some elements need to be exaggerated.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dyed the under suit to a Frost Gray with the RIT Dye More so it is pretty close to the light gray in the reference.
[img]DSC08016 by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

I folded the sleeve over the future tabbard which looks whiter than it is due to lighting. It is an ecru white.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a trial run of sewing black jewelry cording to the collar [img]DSC08011 by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

[img]neckline by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

it works pretty well
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making progress on this costume and have noticed that the boots are mid calf. When you look at the pictures, both screen caps and reference sketches the boots come to mid calf. This will be hard to find.

[img]boots2 by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img].. The knee position shows better in this walking post.

It also shows the mid calf in this side image ad the back of the knee indent is pictured so show knee position.

[img]midcalfbootline by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

It is hard to find plain boots much less ones that have no zipper on the side. The black and gray design on the boot may force the boots to be pull on. Boots are always the hardest to do .

Last edited by jedibarriss (Teresa Becker) on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making progress
[img]belt by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]
Silver belt

[img]chains.pendants by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

Tabbard front, silver cording , pins and pendants( temporarily attached with tape)

[img]chainsback by Teresa Becker, on Flickr[/img]

two layers of cording on back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Animated Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: