Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=69bdab54b47538092298daaaf9015829Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chewie hair mix / questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ins71a ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Chewie hair mix / questions Reply with quote

Hi guys, so I recently started latchhooking my Kanekalon hair and I have a question.
Now I'm getting my mask from EvilChimp and he told me to use following hair mixture to go with his mask.
#8 and #27 for brown 1:2
#4 and #44 for grey 1:1
Now I'm trying to go for a solo/ESB mix with his colors, am I on the right tracks?

Also when I got the hair from cyberlox especially the blonde was very brittle and not pretty to look at, so each strand that I latchhook I pull it threw a hair iron so they get nice and straight https://youtu.be/ML6sWVFLVME is this the right way? Will I be able to make the hair a bit more unorganized later on?

Thanks for all your guidlines
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there!

Welcome! Solo and ESB are different hair colours, but what you've got there should be perfect for ESB. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on the right track for an OT Chewie. The Solo/TFA/TLJ uses different colors. Evil Chimp only makes original trilogy Chewie masks.
ins71a ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, seems like I can start a build thread as soon as I have a fiew things cleared up. Just so I don't have to start over again half way threw my build😂
What do you think on my hair straightening process, video posted above. I don't want to tie in those wrinkly hair but I'm nut shure how a fully straight haired Chewie would look like.
BadKarma ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also making an ESB suit based on the Evil Chimp mask (which arrived 3 weeks ago and is a work of art!).
I straighten my hair using the "30 seconds in hot water just off the boil and then spin it around in the air" method. The hair comes out mostly straight with a little crinkle here and there. Once you start latching and get lots of it on it'll start matting together by itself to give it that lived in look.
Bacca9 (Jamie)

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not straighten my hair. It makes it slick and shiny imo.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
ins71a ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions, yea I really have to straighten the blonde since it's very wrinkly and doesn't look good at all.

So I don't know how to insert pictures directly into my post, so I created this Album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f6sDd3PWkQt8hnF88

My question is: I'm using some Solo reference since I can see the contrast of the grey to brown the best. Now where would I have to make the border from brown to grey so I get the right shapes. Sorry for my bad english.

The blue line is where the grey starts showing, now since the strands are 16" long that would mean I would have to stop at the red line?
Now I know that that doesn't make sense so should I latchhook brown and grey to the green line? A nice in between?
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is just the shirt we are looking at, I wouldnt put the gray that far up. The shirt looks a little long too. Maybe once you have your pants on and we know how tall you will be, we can give you a better answer on where to put the gray. You can mark it with a chalk pencil on where to start your gray on the pants and shirt, but be aware that it will hang down the length of your strands.
ins71a ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, last question before I can start latchhooking those hairs.

Did you guys do extremely long pants?
Or normal pants with hairs mounted to the stilts?

Any advantages / disadvantages I might not be aware?

Thanks for all the answers
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ins71a wrote:
Ok, last question before I can start latchhooking those hairs.

Did you guys do extremely long pants?
Or normal pants with hairs mounted to the stilts?

Any advantages / disadvantages I might not be aware?

Thanks for all the answers

Here is mine. The pants go past my feet and taper out some at the bottom to go around the built stilt. The stilts are haired and the pants blend into it. I dont see any advantages or disadvantages to doing it either way though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: