About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a9c877f74043ad233f7a0ae97bfec856Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Best way to attach leg flares?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Best way to attach leg flares? Reply with quote

Well, I've made some leg flares for the RFT costumes I'm working up, and now I need suggestions as to how to attach them. I figured who better to ask than the pilots...you folks are probably old hands at this by now! wink2

Ok so I've already got the velcro on the ends to actually wrap it around the leg, but what I'm looking for is suggestions as to how to keep it from sliding down the boot, twisting etc....basically how to keep it in place? We were thinking about attaching more velcro to the actual pant leg and flare, but I'm not convinced this would work.

What methods have you all tried and what seems to work the best?

Thanks!

ObiJuan (Randy Zumaya)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I got this tip from Reaper. Glue popsicle sticks on the inside of the flare holder. Then just slide the sticks inside your boots. I used corest stays because I didn't have any popsicle sticks, but it works great!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....popsicle sticks are the way to go.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craft stores might sell the popscicle sticks and you don't even really have to glue them if they fit tight enough. Just stick the end of the stick down in the boot and you only need a couple of them to hold them up.
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi:

Popsicle sticks are definitely the way to go to stop the entire piece from slipping down around your ankle.

Also, I noticed that my flares (wooden dowels) would sometimes slip out as I was walking. My original thought was to use craft glue to hold them into place. But then I actually decided to use small wood screws though the fabric on the inside of the holder (the side facing your leg). I haven't had any problems since.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to let us know.

P.S. I'm still looking at setting up a meet and greet here in Phoenix to have everyone in town kind of share notes on costuming. (I know Bookman's at 19th Ave and Northern has an meeting room we could probably schedule some time).
RL Trading Card: Series 1, Number 44
RL Trading Card: Series 3, Number 137

"I feel the need...the need for Rebellion!"
Locomotiva (Fabio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sewed inside the strap an hook, brass stamped type used to suspend painting from walls.

Il is upside down, I hook it on the top on my boots.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnlymn wrote:
Heidi:

Popsicle sticks are definitely the way to go to stop the entire piece from slipping down around your ankle.

Also, I noticed that my flares (wooden dowels) would sometimes slip out as I was walking. My original thought was to use craft glue to hold them into place. But then I actually decided to use small wood screws though the fabric on the inside of the holder (the side facing your leg). I haven't had any problems since.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to let us know.

P.S. I'm still looking at setting up a meet and greet here in Phoenix to have everyone in town kind of share notes on costuming. (I know Bookman's at 19th Ave and Northern has an meeting room we could probably schedule some time).

Ok well it sounds like the Popsicle sticks are the way to go! I'll give them a try this weekend and see what happens.

I'm sure Arcana and I would be most interested in attending these meetings and sharing ideas!! Especially if they are on this side of the earth....seems we have to drive to Mesa for a lot of things these days, including the monthly fan force meeting.

Reaper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think either the hooks or the pop sticks are the way to go, the hooks would probabnly work best if you have the Leg Flares over the boot, the Sticks if you have the flares above the boot.

I came up with the pop sticks after getting VERY tired of readjusting my leg flares, EVERY time I walked lol, haven't had to do it since.
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both ideas actually. What kind of glue are you guys using? Fabric glue or just regular old elmers?

Reaper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hotglued the sticks to the back of the holder. IT holds fine, in the last 4 years, I only had to repair it once.
Illd Saber ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys aren't hardcore enough ... I just staple gun my flares right to my leg. Laughing
Mikal Bre-Dav ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popsicle sticks may get broken and such wet wood termites lol Laughing Laughing etc
i was thinking sewing a hole to slide a money clip type device or one of those jumbo paper clips so that it can clip on the boot
that way i assume the metal would be less succeptable to breaking
not a pilot yet but just had this thought in my head to help

money not included

[/img]
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illd Saber wrote:
You guys aren't hardcore enough ... I just staple gun my flares right to my leg. Laughing

Hey, that's what I do too! wink2

My flare holder will stay put once strapped on and not move most of the time with just the Velcro.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the money clip idea actually. Arcana isn't sold on the popsicle sticks so I'll see what we come up with this weekend after a trip to the hobby store.

Haru Windsong ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: FLARES Reply with quote

I stitched wide velcro to the bottom of the pant leg and had the guys in the Safety Systems Shop at work stitch the corresponding velcro to the back of the flares. Worked great. Never budged throughout the times I've worn it.

Incidentally, in case anyone's interested, I can get a few more of those expended pilot safety vest cylinders. The ones I now have access to are a bit narrower than the ones on my bandoleer. I can get them topped (remove the threaded end) and have the guys in the metal shop punch the hole in each cylinder for the rivet.

PM me if you're interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: