Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9c2350d930ec3add0e0f09ce4e50ff85Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahmed Best interview on Jar Jar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Ahmed Best interview on Jar Jar Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has seen this interview. It is about how Ahmed Best (Jar Jar Binks) highs and lows of being in the star wars universe. It really makes you think that all actions have consequences.

ahmed best talks about jar jar

Last edited by RyongKai (Brian Mah) on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a strong man to be able to get through the crap that people have given him. I'll never understand how people can't separate a character from an actor, and that they can't figure out that they're playing a part given to them, that that person didn't create that character.

Personally, though, I liked Jar Jar Binks just fine, I liked the character, and I think Best did a great job of playing the character, too.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RL Pilot Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the other hand...

it's strange that HE can't separate the character from the actor.
after all, it's just a job.

like wearing a clown costume on the side of the road with a big sign to advertise Pizza.
most people wouldn't want to kill themselves, just because the clown costume is goofy/embarrassing.

^^ this kid doesn't look too happy. LOL!
he looks mortified, like he just wants to crawl right out of his skin...
...but I'm sure he cashed his paycheck, and paid for college, and moved on with his life.

^^ the things we do for money, am I right? Razz LOL

I've had some menial/degrading jobs in my life -- some of them were absolutely soul-crushing..... Sad

.....but when it comes to "being in a SW movie" (?) damn!! we should ALL be so lucky!!! Razz LOL

I have a hard time feeling sorry for him -- were I in his shoes, I would see this as a "glass-half-full" -- if he can't see the "upside" to being in a SW movie, then, well, maybe that's just on him.

dunno

-====-

personally I never had a problem with Jar Jar.
I believe he was required, in order to push Padme's Ideals down the slippery slope, and form the Empire.

episode 1: introduce 2 noble ideals by 2 noble protagonists.
Padme's Militarization (of Naboo), and Qui-Gon's Defiance (of the Jedi Order).
^^the audience agrees with BOTH of these characters.

episode 2: use 2 'hated' characters to push these ideals down a slippery slope, so the audience DISAGREES with both.
-- jar jar is the other half of padme's planet. these 2 characters are inextricably linked.
jar jar takes "Padme's Militarization" too far, and applies it to the entire galaxy, out of Fear.
(where she pulled an army out of the swamp to militarize an unarmed planet;
he pulled an army out of thin air to militarize the entire galaxy,
after explicitly pondering "what would Amidala do?" -- he followed HER example,
but BECAUSE he is "Jar Jar" Razz he took it a bridge too far).
((he takes Padme's Ideals to a place that Padme, herself, would NEVER go))
-- meanwhile, dooku is qui-gon's jedi master. these 2 characters are inextricably linked.
dooku takes "Qui-Gon's Defiance" a bridge too far, and applies it to the entire galaxy, out of Anger.
(where qui-gon 'went rogue' and vowed to train anakin in defiance of the Jedi Order;
dooku 'went rogue' on a galactic scale and created a separatist movement in defiance of the entire republic).
((he takes Qui-Gon's Ideals to a place that Qui-Gon, himself, would NEVER go))
^^the audience disagrees with BOTH of these characters.

episode 3: make anakin choose:
-- anakin chooses the "Padme" position, but ultimately loses her BECAUSE of the slippery slope.
(he burns-to-vader ON a "slippery slope", JUST to drive this point home visually LOL).
^^ this is the Origin of the Empire.
-- anakin's choice forces all remaining Jedi to embrace qui-gon's path of "Defiance"
^^ this is the Origin of the Rebellion.

in the end : I believe Jar Jar's childlike innocence and fearful antics were REQUIRED in order for Padme's Ideals to be used as a justification to create the Empire in this way -- Jar Jar's fear provided the slippery slope (which was a central theme of Anakin's fall).

so basically, I never really saw the "Big Deal" about hating on Jar Jar.
I never had a problem with Ahmed Best's portrayal of Jar Jar.
I think the character was SUPPOSED to be this way.

and we were SUPPOSED to hate the character. LOL
otherwise, episode 2 doesn't quite work.
(as per: "use 2 hated characters to push these ideals down the slippery slope" so the audience will NOT agree)

in order for this to work, he needed to be Padme's perfect foil:
as cowardly as she is brave, as weak as she is strong, as dumb as she is smart..
and yes.. as annoying as **** LOL

Razz

^^ Ahmed Best hit all of these bases and portrayed Jar Jar exactly as George intended.
I believe the hatred we feel for Jar Jar, was actually NECESSARY to the plot Razz LOL!!
((and Ahmed Best should NOT take this hatred personally -- he needs to 'separate the character from the actor')).

Razz

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: