Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fe2f6f91a008e9b16a4cf0cb79f3e123Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Chewie just finished!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gato ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: New Chewie just finished!! Reply with quote

This one took me a month and a half from start to finish. I made everything except the bandolier. My concern is that the bando looks a little short. What do you all think?

The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello yes, the bandolier is very short. So is your arm length. I think you need to add about 4 more inches to the arms and your bag should go to chewies knee
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookiee Workshop wrote:
Hello yes, the bandolier is very short. So is your arm length. I think you need to add about 4 more inches to the arms and your bag should go to chewies knee

Mel contacted me and offered to fix my strap, so Im good on the bando now. I'll add some length the the arms too. Thanks for the tip!
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a builder myself, I would suggest a total strap replacement over a fix. Everything on it looks off honestly. the box spacing is way too tight. Adding length to the bottom of the strap will look just wrong. So make sure you work closely on the repair.
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookiee Workshop wrote:
As a builder myself, I would suggest a total strap replacement over a fix. Everything on it looks off honestly. the box spacing is way too tight. Adding length to the bottom of the strap will look just wrong. So make sure you work closely on the repair.

I told her the other bandos I got from her in the past were longer and boxes were spaced farther apart, so Im sending the strap back and she will make a longer one instead. I didnt notice it until I tried it on and posted to Facebook. I thought about adding some length at first, but Mel saw my post and contacted me before I did anything.
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! a month and a half?? that is super fast...my budget build has taken over two years...hahaha...looks great...and yep the arms could be lengthened a bit as well as the suggested solution to the bando...great job overall.
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel is great people! Glad you're getting your strap sorted, brother!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Big Bear ()
Outrider Base XO
Outrider Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this your full time job!. It took me almost a year to do mine. If I could do it in 1.5 months I wouldn't hesitate to make another one.
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on it every day after work and almost all day on my days off.
Since I was making my own parts, I didnt have to wait on any comissions and that helped speed up the process. I also had someone sew up the mesh suit after I cut out the pattern and I had the bandolier made by Mel, but everything else was made by me. It would usually take me around 3-6 months if I wasnt so determined this time around to get it finished. It was hard work, but I definitely had to beat a fellow Garrison mate that is making a Chewie too. So, I basically killed myself for bragging rights. Lol
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I am still floored when I see builds being done that quickly. I may hit 2.5 months on mine if I finish by end of next week, but that is also with working on it almost daily and pulling quite a few all night latching sessions. Either I must be very slow or doing something wrong. But I did notice recently the mesh I was using is smaller hole than some others so that could be why. It's all good though, I got to catch up on some recorded TV show stuff and sing 80s music to myself till I hated it hahaha.

Build looks good and I am working with Mel to hopefully to get a bando next week at the latest since I really am pushing for submission before end of next weekend on my solo build.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouser wrote:
Wow! I am still floored when I see builds being done that quickly. I may hit 2.5 months on mine if I finish by end of next week, but that is also with working on it almost daily and pulling quite a few all night latching sessions. Either I must be very slow or doing something wrong. But I did notice recently the mesh I was using is smaller hole than some others so that could be why. It's all good though, I got to catch up on some recorded TV show stuff and sing 80s music to myself till I hated it hahaha.

Build looks good and I am working with Mel to hopefully to get a bando next week at the latest since I really am pushing for submission before end of next weekend on my solo build.

I saw the post about your mesh. I use the Joanns Utility mesh and the holes are larger so it goes faster. I bought a mesh shirt off ebay once and it had a lot more smaller holes and took forever to finish. Nowadays, I just use the Joanns stuff.

That is great that Mel is doing the Solo bando. I asked her about it several months back. That might have to be my next Chewie. I love that suit. I'll be following your build.
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found it

Devlin: send me a link for your build if you have one. Thanks
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new bando, attached longer hair to the sleeves, and curled up the beard on the mask. I just finished submitting my applicaton.

Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gato wrote:
Just found it

Devlin: send me a link for your build if you have one. Thanks

Will do, I just need to update it. I have been working so hard to get this done I have not done a proper build log like I did my first wookiee.

Also glad to know you are using a larger mesh hole. I was really starting to question my ability to latch hook. I mean, I know I am freaking old compared to many folks who do this, but I am not 1 foot in the grave old yet!! hahaha I have been latching every other hole, every other row on the small hole stuff, so that is why I am just now going to be finishing the shirt. The upper chest and upper back will be only areas not latched that closely. The tighter holes also make my suit look like a huge puff ball! I have to do something about that for sure before I submit.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gato wrote:
Got my new bando, attached longer hair to the sleeves, and curled up the beard on the mask. I just finished submitting my application.

Wooohooo!! Best of Luck! I will be paying attention for any possible rework you may have so I can check mine compared to what you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: