Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=670f13533a198b5dd3bc23172798a590Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cloud City Leia WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RacheLeia (Rachel Folmar)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Cloud City Leia WIP Reply with quote

I am getting ready to dive into my next big project, and one of my favorite costumes ever, Leia's Cloud City outfit. I've been doing a lot of research and reading up on other threads.

For the cloak, I haven't decided yet between getting the Spoonflower fabric (the short embroidered version in crepe de chine — I'm 5'3) or getting some other crepe fabric if I can find it cheaper and plotting out the pattern on the fabric myself. It all depends on how big of a price difference it will be. I will be hand-embroidering it either way.

I've got some embroidery floss that I'll post pictures of sometime soon — I based the colors I got off of the info in Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers' thread but DMC has updated their colors since then and there were some I couldn't find exact matches of.

I ordered a bunch of Kreinik #32 Braid in Copper for the trim which has come in.

I found two old patterns that I was able to get through Etsy and Amazon that I think will work well for the tunic and pants. For the tunic, I've got Butterick B4240, which was mentioned in the Padawan's Guide:

For the pants, I decided to search for some harem pants that weren't so baggy, since I keep reading that people need to take them in a lot. After staring really hard at reference pictures of the actual costume and doing some internet searching, I found McCall's 7684 (from 1995), which I think will work well. I'll probably do view D, gathered and cuffed around the ankles.

Based on what I've read, I was originally thinking I'd need to dye my own crepe de chine for the tunic and pants (and chiffon for the cloak lining) to that gorgeous rust red color. However, I found an intriguing possibility at Joann.com, their Casa Crepe in Chili Oil. Here is their sample picture:

I went ahead and ordered three yards (they don't sell samples) to see what it looked like in person, and I'm super happy with it! To me it looks super close to the color in the reference photos. However I wanted feedback here to make sure that you all agree and that it would be approvable before I go ahead and buy more of it. The sample picture on the website is pretty darn accurate, but here are some pictures I took of it in different lightings:

Indoors, yellow light:

Indoors, white and yellow light:

Outdoors, shade and sun:

Outdoors, full sun:

What do you all think? They also have the color Chili Oil available in their Casa Chiffon, so if the crepe works I could conceivably use the chiffon to line the cloak.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks like an excellent choice, and that you should go ahead. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lora Skywalker!

I'm back with a bunch of pictures of embroidery floss colors and cloak/yoke fabric.

For the cloak, I measured myself and decided I need a 42 inch pattern. Unfortunately the Spoonflower petite embroidery pattern is 43", a slight bit too long for me, however the petite non-embroidery pattern is 42". Consequently, I decided to get a yard of the petite non-embroidery fabric in cotton and use that to transfer the pattern by hand onto crepe fabric I'll order separately. The upside to this is that the whole thing will be cheaper, but the downside is the extra work of tracing it out! Much better than tracing it from scratch though.

Right now there are two options I'm looking at for the cloak crepe: Joann's Casa Crepe in either Snow White or Eggnog (both ivory/off-whites). I'm leaning a little toward the Eggnog as I feel like it looks a little more like the pictures I've seen of the costume, but it's hard to tell exactly what color the original is! And of course, it's all lined with the rust color so that may be what makes it look darker in the pictures. I got samples of both colors of crepe at my local store and I'd love feedback on which you all think would work better.

For the embroidery thread, I found several of the same DMC thread colors Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ended up using:

For Dusty Rose - 3778
For Dark Burgundy - 3857
For Butter Cream - 746
For Light Yellow - 745

However I was not able to find the same rust red color she had (DMC seems to have made changes to their colors since her post). I did find a brown of the same number she used, 801, but it looks too light to my eyes (about the same or lighter than the burgundy). In the pictures of the original the brown looks darker to me. Consequently, I have three different options for Rust Red (355, 918, 3777) and three options for Dark Brown (801, 938, 3371) and I'd like your feedback on which looks best. For the brown I'm definitely leaning towards 938. 3371 ended up so dark it looks almost black when embroidered. As for the rust, I have no idea; they're all very close. I put a swatch of my tunic/pants crepe in the later pictures for reference.

First up — the embroidery floss (first two are in sunlight, next three are under various indoor lightings):

Next are some close-ups of the embroidered samples with the tunic/pants crepe swatch:

Finally, here are the two off-white/ivory cloak swatches next to the embroidered sample (on white fabric) and the tunic/pants swatch (first two pictures indoor light, second three sunlight):

What do you all think works best?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great colors!

I am partial to 3777 and 3371 for how well they play with the other colors, but I'm not familiar enough with the costume to say which is most exact.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the colors. Very Happy

I think 3777 matches your fabric the best, so I'd choose that, though it's close with 355.
And I agree with you on 938 for the brown; I, too, feel the last looks almost black.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses! I will tentatively plan on using 3777 and 938. Once I start embroidering I'll post a picture of it to double check with you all.

What do you all think about the fabric for the cloak — should I go with the Snow White (off-but-almost-white) or the Eggnog (more of a creamy ivory), both pictured above?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more of an off-white (eggnog?) than pure white.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name "Snow White" is a little confusing, but they're actually both off-white. One (Eggnog) is just a darker off-white than the other.

I'm thinking I'll try putting my swatches in front of the rust-colored chiffon and seeing what that looks like, since the cloak will be lined with it anyway. I'll share those pictures soon.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. That will give you something to compare to and see what works with under different lighting conditions. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so when the swatches are on top of the rust chiffon the difference between them is really subtle! I think I prefer Eggnog, because it's more clearly off-white/cream, but I'd love to hear your opinions. In the pictures below Eggnog is on top and Snow White is on the bottom.

Indoors, yellow light:

Indoors, natural light:

Outdoors, sunlight:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've compared them to the reference pictures and I still don't know. There's not really any good pictures I can find with good lighting. In a lot of pictures (particularly the promo images) the off-white leans almost gray, which would match more with the Snow White:

But in other pictures it looks more beige-ish (particularly the fabric of the yoke), which may match more with the Eggnog:

(all pictures from Padawan's Guide)

It all seems to depend on the lighting so I have no idea Sad
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right that the fabric leans almost gray, so I'd tend towards the "snow white" color.

Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the colors look really lovely so far!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your feedback!

I just bought the crepe for the cloak in Snow White and will hopefully get started on it this weekend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: