Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d68474032d9cf8d5202b6194b202bf0fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mixing the Brown and Grey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadKarma ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Mixing the Brown and Grey Reply with quote

Hey all

First off I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this amazing resource which contains so much knowledge. I have read every thread over the period of the past 2-3 months and it has been a terrific go-to for when I've needed any information about this crazy project!

I started my build back in September after placing a mask order with Evil Chimp, beginning with building 9" lifts (I'm 6'3" to start with) and then set about creating the rest of the suit.
I learnt to use a sewing machine and with the traditional pyjama patterns I finished my mesh top and trousers a couple of weeks ago. And then I began to latch, starting with the left leg from the bottom up.
I marked out my "grey" patch on the thigh using thread and then I got to really studying pictures of Chewie from the OT and I came across this one which has a clear view of the thighs and rather solved a mystery that had bothered me since I started.. which was how outfits I've seen seem to have bold patches of grey (more like the newer movies) whereas the original suit seems to be more of a blend into the grey thigh areas.

In the picture you can clearly see the brown is still there on the thighs and then the grey is interspersed (or overlaid?) on that. So rather than latching a solid patch of my grey mix I'm thinking it's better to do a brown AND grey latching across the area to get this look.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone have any experience of doing this and did you use a particular latching pattern for mixing in the grey with the brown or did you just eyeball it as you went?

Any advice would be much appreciated, and thank you all again for sharing so much information already.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you can see brown underneath the grey in the original suits is because the hair is thin enough to see the Angora wool undersuit that the hair was knitted into. That undersuit is the same color as the brown hair.

I don't know if any of us have tried to replicate the effect in our hand tied suits, though.
BadKarma ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, that makes sense. Thank you for that info.

Hmmm.. so now the decision whether to try and replicate that look with mixing or go full grey patches. I think I'll start the other leg first and give some time for pondering Smile
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could hook in some much shorter (like 4" folded into 2") brown hairs in between the longer gray hairs to get a similar look? It would take even longer than the eternity that is wookiee latchhooking, but could make an interesting effect....
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: