Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=83d576de7b282852bdfbe4b0a510c3d3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

PArmstr's Senior Officer (Rogue One) WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have to do a lot of experimenting in the next few weekends. I still have two larger pieces of fabric left. One is 68x25cm and the other is 63x54cm. I should have enough test fabric if I cut small 5x5cm squares. The first batch didn't work out at all because I left them in the tea and espresso way too long. They came out darker than the jacket. Shocked I guess I underestimated the staining power of cheap Aldi Earl Gray tea and Jacobs Espresso.

Does anybody have experience with how well the tea dye keeps up with washing? It would be very disappointing to go through all the experimenting, taking off the yoke, dying it and putting it back just for all the tea dye to come out after washing the jacket once or twice.

Another thing I have no clue about is how much salt I will need to seal the tea dye into the fabric. Do you have any advice for me?

Rebel Legion costumes: jawa, rebel fleet trooper ANH, signals intelligence technician (Rogue One), Rebel Vanguard (Hasbro action figure)

501st Legion costumes: jawa, bridge crew
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hand-wash gently and that seems to be ok.

I'm not great with dye fixing, I just sort of experiment as I go. I have a friend who is good with dye, she might know more specifically how much. I will ask her.

If anyone else has any ideas feel feel to chime in.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the idea of tea or coffee dying my yoke. I need a jacket that is machine washable. I am thinking of making a new jacket from scratch. How much darker does the yellow need to be to better fit to the shade of khaki of the jacket? Or the other way around how much lighter does the tan of jacket need to be to better that shade of yellow? I am planning on going to my local fabric store with a piece of both fabrics and search for colors that fit better.

Rebel Legion costumes: jawa, rebel fleet trooper ANH, signals intelligence technician (Rogue One), Rebel Vanguard (Hasbro action figure)

tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its more matching the tones, so the reference picture shows the beige as more yellow toned, so the yellow you used wouldn't look as yellow against a more yellow toned fabric if that makes sense.

Your jacket is more brown toned so the yellow looks very lemony......so it just needs to be a more brown yellow to work.

Do you have Kona fabrics there?its cotton usually used for quilting and you can get lots of different shades and usually samples to check first.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
Its more matching the tones, so the reference picture shows the beige as more yellow toned, so the yellow you used wouldn't look as yellow against a more yellow toned fabric if that makes sense.

Your jacket is more brown toned so the yellow looks very lemony......so it just needs to be a more brown yellow to work.

Do you have Kona fabrics there?its cotton usually used for quilting and you can get lots of different shades and usually samples to check first.

Thank you very much for the tips. I will take a piece of each fabric to my local fabric shop to see what I can find. As far as I know, we do not have Kona fabrics in Germany. I might find the right shade of yellow my current jacket if I use lightweight cotton instead of cotton twill for the yoke.

RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren’t able to find something at your local store, your best bet will be online. I seem to remember there being some new tariff in Germany that makes shipping a challenge? I ask because fabric.com has some Konas that may work, and I can look through their site to try and help you source a color here. They even sell through Amazon sometimes, so I could check the German Amazon site.
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:
If you aren’t able to find something at your local store, your best bet will be online. I seem to remember there being some new tariff in Germany that makes shipping a challenge? I ask because fabric.com has some Konas that may work, and I can look through their site to try and help you source a color here. They even sell through Amazon sometimes, so I could check the German Amazon site.

There are a couple of sellers on Amazon.de that sells Kona fabric but it seems to be very expensive. There are Fat Quarter Bundles (54.12 Euros), Half Meter Bundles (99.21 Euros) and Meter Bundle (192.41 Euros) with 15 different colors as well single color 112cm wide fabric, which costs 12.59 Euros per meter.

I always try to avoid buying fabric online because you never know what you will actually get. Colors on the screen might differ from what comes with the mail and fabric cannot be sent back. I prefer to see and feel the fabric in person before I buy it. I am a little busy at the moment but I hope to be able to go to the fabric shop very soon.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some yellow cotton fabric yesterday. I am not sure about the color. What do you think? Is it better or worse than the one that I am currently using for my yoke?

Depending on what you say, I might have to try the black tea or coffee dying with those two yellow fabrics and see which one will fit the bill at the end. I am really not looking forward to that process, but it might be the only solution because I do not want to buy I-do-know-how-much-fabric until I found the right one.

RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a color more on the tan/brown side of yellow. Kona cotton in honey is a good choice to match the jacket color tonally.

http://bit.ly/2CdhPWr
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:
You want a color more on the tan/brown side of yellow. Kona cotton in honey is a good choice to match the jacket color tonally.

http://bit.ly/2CdhPWr

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I will not be able to follow your advice. There is no way for me to purchase that fabric without spending a lot of money. Amazon.de does not sell that color and buying one yard of that fabric online in the UK or the USA will cost between 25 and 50 Euro and it might not be the correct color after all. I will probably have to put this project on hold for the time being and wait until my local fabric store gets something that is closer to that color.

Here is some food for thought. I am of the opinion, that we should think more about the color of the yoke of this character. Most of the references show us that it is some sort of yellow. I think we should be more open to the different shades of yellow and that we should not get too close to light brown. The closer we get to color light brown the less it will distinguishable from the ANH version of this costume. I know that the cargo pants, boots, belt buckle, and anklet cuffs are also distinguishing features, but those are not the first things people will see. The member roster also does not show the lower body.

Another reason why we should be more open to the different shades of yellow is the availability of materials. We are an international club and have many members from different countries. I think this costume is a beginner costume and should be easy to make. Unfortunately, many countries do not have the same wide selection of materials as the USA does and importing things from the USA can cost a small fortune. We should keep that in mind when we make the CS for this costume.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of making a new jacket from scratch because I cannot find the right shade of yellow to match the jacket I bought. I might use that one for a different project.

Here is a comparison photo of my bought jacket with a light tan fabric (medium weight canvas). The yellow fabric on the left is the one I used for my yoke and the yellow fabric on the right is the one I bought on Saturday. Which of the yellows would be the best match for the new tan material in the center?

tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to source yellow fabrics in the UK, europe and USA and in ritt dye/dylon recipes...for all the different costumes. Yellow is massively hard to photograph and to source.

This does however take time as I'm just one person.....the picture shows a fraction of what I've been doing.

I am happy to help you get the kona fabric if you like as it will be cheaper for me to post as we are both in the EU (for now). My partner is our base merch officer and the merch officer for this detachment so sends things globally all the time.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
I'm currently trying to source yellow fabrics in the UK, europe and USA and in ritt dye/dylon recipes...for all the different costumes. Yellow is massively hard to photograph and to source.

This does however take time as I'm just one person.....the picture shows a fraction of what I've been doing.

I am happy to help you get the kona fabric if you like as it will be cheaper for me to post as we are both in the EU (for now). My partner is our base merch officer and the merch officer for this detachment so sends things globally all the time.

Wow, that does look like a lot of work. I would have never imagined that yellow fabric would pose such a problem.

Thank you for your kind offer to help me purchase Kona fabric. I would really appreciate it if you could PM me what a piece of Kona fabric Honey 110cm x 100cm plus shipping to Germany would cost me.

Amazon.de mainly offers Roll-Ups and Quarter bundles. The only Kona Cotton Solids that I found there are Corn Yellow and Chinese Red. The other sources that I found on the internet seem to be overpriced especially the shipping.

tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just checking the cost of getting it sent to me first and I thought I'd check their international postage, just to see..... and its £3.50 to germany so thats like 5 euros?

So it may actually be cheaper to get it direct from here?

https://plushaddict.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/143134/s/robert-kaufman-kona-cotton-solid-honey/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
I was just checking the cost of getting it sent to me first and I thought I'd check their international postage, just to see..... and its £3.50 to germany so thats like 5 euros?

So it may actually be cheaper to get it direct from here?

https://plushaddict.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/143134/s/robert-kaufman-kona-cotton-solid-honey/

Thank you very much for the link. That online store has great prices. One meter of Kona cotton solid plus shipping to Germany via Royal Mail International would only be 14.63 Euros. All the other stores I found wanted more than that just for shipping it. I will order the fabric myself. I really hope that this is the correct color.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: