Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9d7134740f02b91ca8ccf3a6137de430Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Solo Chewbacca - Time to make a 2nd wookiee...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Solo Chewbacca - Time to make a 2nd wookiee... Reply with quote

As the title says, I am going to venture down the Chewbacca road. I will be working on the Solo version and plan to finish before Celebration. Not going to say what month I plan to have it done or anything because I know better.... however, this is my 2nd wookiee, so should be much easier and faster. I just don't want to feel pressed for time like I did with Dewkazza. I had way too many sleepless weekends where I never saw the sun.

That being said.....2nd wookiee means I may need a few extra drinks at Celebration or a psych consult Smile

No pics yet..... but I did manage to find a pair of Skywalker 2.0 stilts, new in the box. Bought them before anybody else noticed them and the price. They should arrive early next week since they were shipped yesterday.

Since I have not made a Chewbacca, I will be reading lots of threads and asking blend questions since I want to make sure I have the correct colors/pattern. In addition, how to make a the pants/foot transition with stilts since my current build is with buckets. Any suggestions from lessons learned also welcome.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Evilcritter (Tara Murphy)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing your build!
Uffizzi (Norman Gugliotta)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! MTFBWY
mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status update-

First off, thanks for the support!

Skywalker stilts arrived. I tried them on and tried to stand. Not going to be my cup of tea. Later this week I will most likely put them up for sale. They are new in box minus my few minutes of trying to stand up straight. I never got more than 1 step.

Since my current wookiee is a High Stepper Bucket build, I ordered a set of those last night, got the email this morning they were shipped. YAY! I just hope they are not bright green again this time. lol For this build I will be lowering them though. I want only about 12" of height. After I lower these, Dewkazza will be lowered to most likely to make it easier to walk.

Ordered 45 bags of hair. Ordered M4/22 from IKickShins and 4, 144, 27/613 from Sam's Beauty. I split the order like that because I find Sam's cheaper and I tend to order enough for free shipping, so double win! I already have plenty of 44 color hair from my last build.

From Amazon I ordered a Hackle to blend hair properly. Some cuff replacements for the stilts so I can make a proper leg brace once I get some metal rods from hardware store. Don't think I have enough left from last build.

Mesh- 9 yards from JoAnn fabric. The only black mesh they have really. I was lucky and just happen to catch a 60% off sale on it, so got it super cheap!!

Will go to Tandy next time I travel that direction to get leather for the Solo style bando. I am very lucky I have a very good friend who makes prototypes for companies nationally, so he is using some of his free time to design and make the grenade looking pieces on the bando out of resin for me. He does a ton of research and is kinda a perfectionist, so I know they will end up being awesome.

Think that is about it for now. Since goggles are not worn the full movie, they should be optional. So I am going to wait till end to work on them.

After working on the previous wookiee, I expect this one to go faster and also for me to have some corrections....like a lot less hair on legs/feet. I think I counted every strand of hair when I first started and put it too close (every hole versus every other hole). I also have an idea for how I want to do the feet based on my ninja turtle suit. If I can get my idea onto paper and into reality I think my feet will last a long time and look great, even with my feet up so you see bottoms.

That's my small update. I will add more when I have items in hand and can show images that really mean something.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving the plan thus far devlin. I'll be following for sure. did you sell the stilts already....I'm curious about those so maybe shoot me a pm.

I cant wait to see all the blending.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to working with you on this, brother!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, still have stilts. Will shoot you a PM soon. (At concert right now so tomorrow most likely)

I tried to reply before but I fell asleep at the computer and closed my page, along with it my post lol.

I have everything in hand now. About 16lbs of hair, steppers, parts for braces, jacket for hair blending and of course reference photos. Oh, and Carolina Hurricanes were having an equipment sale so as a season ticket holder I got to go in early. Shoulder pads were last ones left, so they stink a bit but I think my goalie equipment spray will fix that.... but got them for $5!! So look for equipment sales in your area.

Everything else I can pull from my current Wookiee box.

Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scouser"]Yep, still have stilts. Will shoot you a PM soon. (At concert right now so tomorrow most likely)

I tried to reply before but I fell asleep at the computer and closed my page, along with it my post lol.

I have everything in hand now. About 16lbs of hair, steppers, parts for braces, jacket for hair blending and of course reference photos. Oh, and Carolina Hurricanes were having an equipment sale so as a season ticket holder I got to go in early. Shoulder pads were last ones left, so they stink a bit but I think my goalie equipment spray will fix that.... but got them for $5!! So look for equipment sales in your area.

Everything else I can pull from my current Wookiee box.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Pq7UlZi.jpg[/img][/quote]

haha, I fall asleep at the computer all the time. I hate that.

looks like your all ready to go, I can't wait to see all the progress.
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also starting a "Solo" Chewbacca as my 2nd Wookiee. I'll be watching this thread closely. Hopefully we can help/learn from each other.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
I'm also starting a "Solo" Chewbacca as my 2nd Wookiee. I'll be watching this thread closely. Hopefully we can help/learn from each other.

Sounds great! I am a little behind now because of hurricanes and end of fiscal year stuff at work. This week I just finished cutting down my stilt buckets, adding rods to the sides, attaching cuffs and gorilla gluing shoes to the top. Tonight I got my mesh top cut out and tomorrow I will cut out the pants and sew everything up so I can officially start latch hooking most likely on Sunday since I will be in DC all day Saturday and drive back Sunday morning. Not looking forward to combining hair, but at least I can do all that while sitting in front of the TV. As long as I don't think about it, it seems to be much easier and go by faster haha.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have not updated in a while. Been pretty busy with work and had a small vacation a few weeks ago. Much needed!

However, in that time I did work on the suit little by little.

I took the High Steppers and cut them down to about 12" after calculating how much height I would get from everything else such as mask, shoes, my own height.
High Steppers Cut by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr

Cut the rails down to the size that would allow me to have the cuff in a good spot on my calf. Added the cuff, rails and cheap WalMart velcro shoes. They only had them in wide size, so I have plenty of room. Will add some insoles later to help with prolong standing or use my custom inserts. Shoes were semi-permanently attached with Gorilla silicone adhesive/epoxy.
Assembly by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr
Silicone Adhesive by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr

My current wookiee has foam for a toe shield. It has worked fine, but I also have to be a little more careful with it because it can easily rip off. This time around I tried to find a trashcan...nothing really the size/shape that would work... so I went and looked at totes. Found this one for $6 also at WalMart.
Hidden Gem by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr

Toe shields installed with almost the angle I wanted. Should work just fine once everything is done. I learned quickly to use a dremel to cut the sides out and a drill to cut holes for the zip ties. Anything else cracks the tote.
Extra shot of toe shields by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr

Noticed the sharp edge at top back of the toe shield was catching on mesh when I tried on pants pattern. Cut those corners down to a curve and used gaffing tape to cover all edges. Used it also to secure the top of the mesh. Mesh also has a very small zip tie on the front and both sides attached to the plastic too. The back is tapped down at the top to help hold the weight up. I used duct tape on my current wookiee and no complaints there either. But I really wanted to try gaffers tape this time around because I loved it when I was working in television. It has a very thin rubber/cloth like center and the sticky side is pretty much like duct tape in strength. So to me it was the next level. Time will tell.
Tape party by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr

Pants were cut from same pattern I used on my current wookiee. XL, pajama pattern. The bottom was cut more liberal and slowly matched to the pattern to give a natural look. The bottom was taken from measurements of the widest part of my stilts with the shoe in. This waist is elastic and will add clamp style suspenders once build is closer to done.
Sexy Pants by Devlin Sawyer, on Flickr

Now I am spending the beginning of the week blending hair. I have a trip at the end of the week for work, so taking a bunch of hair with me to work on it while sitting in the hotel room. Becoming kind of a trend for me to do that. But keeps me from spending money I don't have. Smile Hope to share more next week when I have a little more progress.
CenTexChewie (Matthew Walters)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouser wrote:

This week I just finished cutting down my stilt buckets, adding rods to the sides, attaching cuffs and gorilla gluing shoes to the top

As far as the Stilt buckets go, are you piecing them together or are they sold that way? I'd love to go this route and ditch my KISS boots. Any info on where you got them or how you put them together would be awesome!

Thanks!
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CenTexChewie wrote:
Scouser wrote:

This week I just finished cutting down my stilt buckets, adding rods to the sides, attaching cuffs and gorilla gluing shoes to the top

As far as the Stilt buckets go, are you piecing them together or are they sold that way? I'd love to go this route and ditch my KISS boots. Any info on where you got them or how you put them together would be awesome!

Thanks!

The stilt buckets are made by Steppin Up. They come as a solid piece and you would just cut at about the height you want. I think I just 6" from the top to give me the 12". Then stack them and bolt them together. They come with some plastic pieces you can push in the holes on the side but not sure I would trust them long term. I think those are for if you buy 2 pair and want to have a temporary stack for extra height. It's pretty easy to do and I plan to do it to my first wookiee after I finish this one. The full height of the buckets is 18." You can buy them here: http://www.steppinupinc.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: