Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f5b85ba61c9a8bc112c36dd199637f15Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[Rewrite] Arena Battle Padme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> RLGS Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: [Rewrite] Arena Battle Padme Reply with quote

Welcome to the Arena Padme Standards revision thread! For simplicity’s sake, I’ve started off only with rewording things at the moment. I have added not photos yet, but please share any you have! Remember, you don’t have to be an approved RL member to chime in!

Here’s a link to our current standard for this costume: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/padme-amidala-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-arena-battle/ And this format is ultimately what we’re shooting for.

Here’s our current standard, formatted to the new layout for easy comparison, but otherwise unaltered.

Quote:

Required Items

• Fitted top with long slim sleeves and narrow mock turtleneck in an off-white, matte opaque knit fabric.
  • The sleeves are not set-in and have a seam with double topstitching running from the neck at the shoulder line to the cuff.
  • The top also has alternating vertical and horizontal seaming with double topstitching over the bust line and a section below the collar with four vertical pintucks.
  • The shirt must be tucked in.
  • Flesh toned undergarments are recommended for modesty.

Armbands

• Two wide armbands of thin burnished silver rectangular segments curved to fit the circumference of the upper arms.

Leggings

• Fitted leggings of an off-white, matte opaque knit fabric with four topstitched seams at the center front and back of each leg.

Boots

• Knee-high leather or leather-like lug sole boots in a bone white or ivory color.
  • Wrapped about the boots shafts are leather or leather-like shin guards with rectangular perforations with two straps woven through and two additional straps at the top and bottom of the shin guards.
  • The shin guards should have some structure and not be limp.

Belt

• Plain wide firm leather or leather-like belt in a bone white or ivory color.
  • Attached are two contoured flap pouches – one for each hip, one long contoured somewhat cylindrical flap pouch for the left hip and one long narrow contoured holster, all of a bone white or ivory leather or faux leather.

Blaster

• Silver short or long-barrel Naboo blaster.

Hairstyle

• Hair is parted in the center, pulled back and fastened at nape of the neck.
  • The hair is then twisted into multiple narrow coils twisted further into loops arranged at the nape to create a large bun-like effect.
  • Natural-occurring hair colors only, no bangs.

Optional Items

Cape

• Long, full wrapped cape in an off-white, ivory or cream thickly woven matte fabric with an obvious abstract weave, extending to mid-calf.

Hat

• Rectangular wide hat with an attached veil in an off-white, ivory or cream thickly woven matte fabric with an obvious abstract weave.
  • The hat should have some structure and not be limp.

Some changes are needed to better suit the new format. Here are my suggestions to get things started, please chime in with yours or if you disagree with anything I’ve done.

Quote:
Standard Name: Padme Amidala (Arena Battle)

Primary Detachment: Rebel Legion Galactic Senate

Submission Date:

Existing Standard URL: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/padme-amidala-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-arena-battle/

Front Image
URL:
Source:

Back / Second View Image
URL:
Source:

Character Description
Source: Wookipedia

Required Items

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• The top is made of an off-white, matte and opaque knit fabric.
  • The top is fitted with long close fitted sleeves and has a narrow mock turtleneck.
  • The sleeves are not set-in and have a seam with double topstitching running from the neck at the shoulder line to the cuff.
  • The top has alternating vertical and horizontal seaming with double topstitching over the bust line.
  • There is a section of fabric below the mock turtleneck with four vertical pin tucks. This section is outlined with double topstitching.
  • The shirt must be tucked into the leggings.

Optional Details

• There is a diamond-shaped gusset sewn into each armpit to allow for easier arm movement.

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Armbands

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• One silver armband of thin burnished silver is worn in the middle of each upper arm.
  • The armbands are made of rectangular segments, and are curved to fit along the circumference of the upper arms.

Optional Details

• n/a

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Leggings

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• Leggings are an off-white, matte opaque knit fabric.
  • There is a seam down the center front and center back of each leg, in addition to the inseam and outer leg seam. (Total of four seams).
  • The leg seams are top stitched on each side.

Optional Details

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Boots

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• Boots are a bone white or ivory color leather or leather-like.
  • Boots area knee-high with lug soles.
  • Wrapped about the boots shafts are shin guards with fourrectangular indentations running down each side of a raised middle section (total of eight indentations per shin guard.)
  • Two straps are woven through the first and third indentations from the top.
  • There are two additional straps at the top and bottom of the shin guards.
  • The shin guards should have some structure and not be limp.
  • No visible laces or outside zippers. Inside zippers are permitted, and must be concealed or match the color of the boot.

Optional Details

• n/a

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Belt

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• Made from a plain bone white or ivory color wide firm leather or leather-like material.
  • There are three pouches and one holster with contoured flap closures attached to the belt, all of a bone white or ivory color leather or leather-like material.
  • The holster is attached to the right side of the hip.
  • The longest of the three pouches is attached to the left side of the hip.
  • The two smaller pouches are attached to each hip.

Optional Details

• There is a belt loop in front of the holster and pouch on the right side of the belt, made of the same material as the belt.

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Hairstyle

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• Hair is parted in the center, pulled back and fastened at nape of the neck.
  • The hair is then twisted into multiple narrow coils[color=red], and twisted further into loops arranged at the nape to create a large bun-like effect.
  • Natural-occurring hair colors only, no bangs.
  • If a wig or extensions are used, they must be of high quality and appear like natural hair.

Optional Details

• n/a

Optional Items

Blaster

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• Silver short or long-barrel Naboo blaster.

Optional Details

• n/a

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Cape

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• Cape is a matte off-white, ivory or cream color, several shades darker than the top and leggings. It is made from a thickly woven fabric with an obvious abstract weave.
  • The cape fully wraps around the shoulder.
  • The cape extends to mid-calf.

Optional Details

• n/a

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Hat

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

• The hat is made of the same fabric as the cape.
  • The hat has a wide, rectangular crown with an attached veil.
  • The hat should have some structure and not be limp.

Optional Details

• n/a

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

Alternate Configuration

Ripped Arena Outfit

Alternate Configuration Image
URL:
Source:

Required Items

All standard required components, except for the top, which is replaced with a ripped version.

Ripped Top

Item Image
URL:
Source:
Required Details

• The top is made of an off-white, matte and opaque knit fabric.
  • The top is fitted with long close fitted sleeves and has a narrow mock turtleneck.
  • The top has alternating vertical and horizontal seaming with double topstitching over the bust line.
  • There is a section of fabric below the mock turtleneck with four vertical pin tucks. This section is outlined with double topstitching.
  • The shirt is ripped away on an angle around the midriff, with two angled vertical slashes in the shirt back beneath the shoulder blades.
  • The right sleeve is ripped off entirely above the silver armband.

Optional Details

• Special FX makeup may be used to simulate scratches in the skin on the back and upper right arm where the top is ripped.

Optional Items

Blaster

• An E-5 blaster rifle may be carried.

Hairstyle

• Hair may be worn loosely at the front of the face.

Costume Resources:

• Reference Photo Gallery -
  • Member Build Threads

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

WIP: Hera Syndulla & Jarael
Future: X-Wing Pilot | Mission Vao v2 | Way too many Padmé costumes

deviantArt | IG

Last edited by Darth Sunshine (Andrea) on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 am; edited 11 times in total
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like measurements should be included in the armband and belt section; that they’re approximately x inches wide and whatnot. Of course it would be noted that “these measurements are approximate and should be scaled to the wearer”. Also perhaps a suggested minimum number of rectangles (more being allowed as needed for wider arms, again, approximate and scaled to the wearer).

Also, I feel like the pouch section could be worded better. I wasn't certain about the placement. The two larger pouches never seem to change places, but depending on the reference (movie/varying museum exhibits) they seem to jump around. Have the judges ever had a preferred configuration?

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

deviantArt | IG
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've got something that moves around, we may not actually need to specify where the pouches go, since there isn't a single "right" way.

I feel that this costume standard should probably make use of the "alternate configuration" clause to list the requirements for the ripped version as well, so we don't need to update both separately.

Also, do we feel that this clone wars costume is sufficiently different from the movie version to need a separate standard, or can we do an "alternate configuration" within this standard?

Now that I've separated out the build threads, we can also link to the build thread indexes at the bottom of the standard for people to reference:

Arena Battle: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028492#1028492
Ripped: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028493#1028493

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
When you've got something that moves around, we may not actually need to specify where the pouches go, since there isn't a single "right" way.

Maybe we could specify several acceptable configurations? My concern about not detailing it is that I've seen a number of members complain of having their applications rejected (not necessarily for this costume though) for having the wrong configuration for some detail or another, but the standard was vague to begin with. Having acceptable configurations would make things clear cut for the judges and applicants.

SongofAmazon wrote:
I feel that this costume standard should probably make use of the "alternate configuration" clause to list the requirements for the ripped version as well, so we don't need to update both separately.

I think so too, but I'm also feel like it might be too busy and long if we do since in this case there's a lot of stuff to list that can't be worn, not just what needs to be added. I can update it to include it though.

SongofAmazon wrote:
Also, do we feel that this clone wars costume is sufficiently different from the movie version to need a separate standard, or can we do an "alternate configuration" within this standard?

I think it's different enough to have a separate one. Also it would definitely get pretty crazy long if we included the ripped version as an alt configuration.

SongofAmazon wrote:
Now that I've separated out the build threads, we can also link to the build thread indexes at the bottom of the standard for people to reference:

Arena Battle: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028492#1028492
Ripped: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028493#1028493

I'll get these added in, and the other edits done sometime this weekend! Smile

deviantArt | IG
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details

Cape is a matte off-white, ivory or cream color, several shades darker than the top and leggings. It is made from a thickly woven fabric with an obvious abstract weave.
The cape fully wraps around the shoulder.
The cape extends to mid-calf.

I want to point out the weave for a cape is a (loose/large) piqué weave. Smile Knowing what word to search for would be helpful for people when finding a cape fabric.

I think ripped version would be an alternate configuration in this.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the shirt portion:
Isn't there a triangular or square gusset under the arm?
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Radiance wrote:
For the shirt portion:
Isn't there a triangular or square gusset under the arm?

Oooooooh you're right. Here's a shot of it. Is this something the judges have looked for in the past?

Sorry that I haven't gotten updates I said I would in yet. Sad I will get to it soon.

deviantArt | IG
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the diamond/square gusset should be written in as an optional part. Smile

As far as I know it has never been required as you don't really see it, but it can help with movement of the arms.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I want to chime in on is the color. There are several promo shots that show the pants appear to be a slightly different color than the top. Some ladies have asked if they are supposed to be 2 different colors. If we approve costumes that are the different colors then we should state it in the standard. An example of what I am talking about can be seen here:

Personally, I feel it is just the lighting of the shot but others may feel differently. Is this something we should address within the standard?

Additionally, in certain scenes, Padme has loose hair tendrils (for lack of a better word) instead of straight back.

Do we want to include that option in the standard? Or is that being too specific?

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the first is most likely just them doing weird stuff with lighting and photoshop in the promo photo. A lot of promo photos have the costume showing strange and even completely wrong colors.

Well, the ripped version could have loose tendrils of hair; the fighting does take its toll on the hairdo. But whether it should be included in the standard I don't know. Maybe under optional?

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the boots, this is what it currently says:

"Boots are a bone white or ivory color leather or leather-like.
Boots area knee-high with lug soles.
Wrapped about the boots shafts are shin guards with fourrectangular indentations running down each side of a raised middle section (total of eight indentations per shin guard.)
Two straps are woven through the first and third indentations from the top.
There are two additional straps at the top and bottom of the shin guards.
The shin guards should have some structure and not be limp. "

You will notice there is no mention of a zipper anywere, however, some members have been approved with visible zippers either on the sides of on the back. Is this also something that can have some leeway? Just suggesting it, mind you, as I know the boots have been more and more difficult for people to locate nowadays.

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a lighting thing too. Albeit one caused by the top and bottom being made of two different kinds of fabric, something that I think needs to be added. The current standard (Leggings are an off-white, matte opaque knit fabric.) implies that it is the same fabric as the top, and you can certainly make them from that, but I think we need to add something along the lines of "Leggings are made of the same off-white, matte opaque knit fabric as the top, or a closely matching off-white stretch twill/woven fabric."

LeiaAurora wrote:
You will notice there is no mention of a zipper anywere, however, some members have been approved with visible zippers either on the sides of on the back. Is this also something that can have some leeway? Just suggesting it, mind you, as I know the boots have been more and more difficult for people to locate nowadays.

I think that's reasonable. Many standards in the RL allow concealed or inner zippers since boots are so dang hard to source, plus it looks like there are inner zippers anyway.

deviantArt | IG
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no issue on discrete zippers. Smile We'll have to add it though to make sure there can be no doubt about them.

Inside zippers are allowed. The zipper must match the boot.

Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the alternate configuration up. Added the bit about the loose hair, probably worded a little too vaguely right now, but we can figure out how we feel about it/if we want to keep it at all. Added a couple other things too not included in our current standard as optional; the blaster rifle she takes from a droid and makeup to simulate the back scratches. Not sure if there was a reason these weren’t included in the standards previously, but I figure it’s worth a revisit.

Didn’t add anything about zippers, gussets, or different pants fabric yet. I’ll be back to edit those in later today.

Edit:

Got all that in there too.

Regarding the gussets I wrote (it's in the optional section):
Quote:
There is a diamond-shaped gusset sewn into each armpit to allow for easier arm movement.

Zippers:
Quote:
No visible laces or outside zippers. When necessary, inside zippers are permitted, and must be concealed or match the color of the boot.

Leggings I changed from

Quote:
Leggings are an off-white, matte opaque knit fabric.

to

Quote:
The leggings are made of an off-white, matte opaque fabric. The same knit fabric as the top may be used, or a matching off-white stretch twill.

deviantArt | IG
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Smile

I'd just change this

No visible laces or outside zippers. When necessary, inside zippers are permitted, and must be concealed or match the color of the boot.

to this

No visible laces or outside zippers. Inside zippers are permitted, and must be concealed or match the color of the boot.

'when necessary' is not necessary and we should remove it for cleaner language and sentence structure. Smile The phrase 'when necessary' tends to confuse people.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> RLGS Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: