Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cabb20beda79436b1a172dd6b3c0d3dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala - Parade Gown construction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubian-Jedi (Grace Croop)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Parade Gown Headpiece Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm actually looking into creating this gown myself for RL submission, and I'm a bit stumped on how to make the jewelry piece that sits against Amidala's forehead. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Amadalia

MTFBWY
Grace (Nubian-Jedi)
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Parade Gown Headpiece Reply with quote

Nubian-Jedi wrote:
Hello!

I'm actually looking into creating this gown myself for RL submission, and I'm a bit stumped on how to make the jewelry piece that sits against Amidala's forehead. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Amadalia

MTFBWY
Grace (Nubian-Jedi)

Hey, Grace!

So the jewelry piece is a little tricky, especially because it's such a unique piece of jewelry you won't find anywhere. I'm not sure if you're looking to make it yourself or if you're open to purchasing/having it commissioned. I've seen one seller from Etsy sell it and it looks pretty good to me:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/260851825/star-wars-queen-amidala-crystal-head?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=amidala%20jewelry&ref=sr_gallery-1-8&organic_search_click=1

The only thing I would change if I were to buy it are the side chains, as the originals are figaro chains.

You can also solder the jewelry together using copper wire (I'd suggest 20 gauge or so). This will definitely take some time and practice because the joints are so small. Then, once you have all the metal wire soldered you can use a strong adhesive to glue the jewels to the joints. Traybuff wrote a tutorial up on her page how she got it done. Here is Tracy's full tutorial, if yo scroll down you'll find the part where she documents her progress on her headpiece:

https://tracyscostumingworld.weebly.com/parade-gown.html

Best of luck on your build, if you have any other questions/progress updates I'd love to hear about it!
Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I don't know how much hair we are talking about, but I think it sounds like you need to incorporate it into the buns themselves. Maybe some of them can be premade and you'll just use your own hair of the couple of them. (Matching the fake hair will be important). The end of your hair would be wrapped around the base and help secure the whole thing.
And this is probably a terrible description, so maybe it doesn't help you much. Rolling Eyes

How much hair do you have? Length, thickness?

The headband you should be able to make from thin wire twisted together. The hard part will be to ensure even spaces.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hello

I don't know how much hair we are talking about, but I think it sounds like you need to incorporate it into the buns themselves. Maybe some of them can be premade and you'll just use your own hair of the couple of them. (Matching the fake hair will be important). The end of your hair would be wrapped around the base and help secure the whole thing.
And this is probably a terrible description, so maybe it doesn't help you much. Rolling Eyes

How much hair do you have? Length, thickness?

The headband you should be able to make from thin wire twisted together. The hard part will be to ensure even spaces.

Actually, I think wrapping my hair around the base of the structure might be a good idea. Since I can't fit all of my hair in the bun cover for the ponytail clip, I'm thinking about splitting half of my hair in a bun and the other half I'll leave out until I pin the structure on, then I'll wrap it around the base. It probably won't be visible since the six little buns stick away from the base, so as long as I keep my hair wrapped close to the base I should be good. I have thick hair that reaches a few inches past my waist when it's straightened.
I really want to avoid having to do my hair every single time - I do this for my Leia buns and that's as far as I'll go, lol!

However, I did make some progress on my headpiece! This was my first time soldering something together - I had tried a few weeks ago, but I was soldering incorrectly, and luckily someone graciously helped point me in the right direction. I just need to add the side pieces, the jewels, and the chains!

For the side pieces, which are really unique, I was thinking of just sculpting them out of clay. I'm not really sure how to go about these little parts besides that.

Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Smile Your progress is looking good.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, it's been a month, and unfortunately, classes have consumed most of my time. However, this weekend I made the finishing touches on my forehead jewelry, and it's completely wearable now! This was my first time soldering metal together and making any sort of jewelry piece. It took a lot of time and patience to get the right cuts and shape, especially on those little side flower pieces, but overall I am really pleased with the outcome!

Additionally, I am working on the parasol. I've made progress here as well, thankfully! I have cut the ends of the wires to their appropriate length after attaching them together. Next, I will be connecting the wire that runs the circumference of the parasol to the 20 spokes. I'm going to attempt to solder it together... and I'm hoping it will work! (I know aluminum is a difficult metal to solder, but I don't know any other way to have the wires connect!)

I was wondering if anyone had advice or thoughts on how to attach the parasol so that it's wearable? I dont think I want to sew it on since I want it to detach for traveling purposes. I was thinking about snaps, but I'm not sure how that would show through the back since the fabric of the parasol is transparent (also - where would I snap it to? The cape has tons of petals and they are sewn onto the cape, so I dont think attaching snaps to the petals would be a good idea since they won't be stable/stay positioned in the same place )
Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using a harness to wear the parasol? The straps would go under the cape and the petals would disguise where they are .

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to finish my costume for a convention last weekend. I'm really pleased with my sewing work, my hairpiece, and my jewelry piece. However, I considered this to be a test run wear, as I plan on remaking my parasol before I submit for RL. I thought my calculations for the parasol were correct, but I was wrong - it was too small in the end... which is really frustrating considering I had even cut down the spokes to get the finished size!

Here are some pictures from the test-run of my costume:

And a picture of my jewelry piece that I soldered!

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Have you considered using a harness to wear the parasol? The straps would go under the cape and the petals would disguise where they are .

That's a great idea, actually. I ended up using two small bar hooks, but it wasn't enough. I had to sew the parasol down for the day, but I'm looking at other options to keep it on (and in place so it doesn't twirl around). I think both hooks/snaps and a harness would be ideal.

Either way, I've been trying to rethink the construction of the parasol. I used JB Weld to hold the center circle and spokes together, but it broke when I was trying to bend the spokes backward to give the parasol the bent shape it has.
Here's a picture of the break:

I've noticed in pictures of the original, that the center of the parasol has to be flexible. In some pictures, the parasol is bent really far backward, and in some, it's fairly upright:

I think this flexibility is ideal for traveling purposes and wearing purposes, since I'd be able to pack it flat for traveling, but when I wear it, it could bend backward. If I used JB Weld for my next parasol, I won't be able to acheive this since JB Weld pretty much locks it in place. Any thoughts?

I've also been reconsidering whether the parasol is actually a circle or if it has a slight oval shape... After wearing my own parasol and not quite liking the shape, I looked at the pictures more closely, and I think the sides are just slightly shorter in length than the tops and bottoms. For example, I put a grid on the back of some pictures and the sides appear to be shorter than the bottom spoke. I used red dots to indicate the ends of each square (or half) on the side spoke and black dots to indicate the ends of each square (or half) on the bottom spoke. The side spoke looks like 13.5 boxes and the bottom spoke looks like 16 boxes (there were two halves that I counted as one)

Additionally, I've been having a rough time with the metal ends on the parasol. I was going to make resin casts, but hasn't been working out! I tried a one part mold, but the mold was not being filled when I poured the resin in. I made a funnel at the top of the mold so the liquid plastic can go down the funnel and fill the mold, but it only wants to fill the funnel and for some reason won't go down into the mold. I thought that the fact that it was a one part mold was the cause for this, so I went ahead and tried making a two part mold, as seen below. The same issue is hapenning where the liquid plastic will not go down the funnel and into the mold... it just fills the funnel. My master is boxed in green, and the funnels the got cast are boxed in black. Everything else is the casts that were incomplete!

In the mean time, I'm going to try to solve this so I can go ahead and cast these. I just need to figure out why it hasn't been casting correctly.
Tatooine Peasant Padmé
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about the oval shape. Even if it was bent in that photo, a perfectly circular parasol would look short and wide, rather than tall and thin.

I wonder if 3D printing could be an option for the tips. I'm not sure if I have seen any print files of those yet though.

As to the flexibility, maybe it's just a different type of metal that is more cooperative to being bent, some kind of thick memory wire?

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the parasol being too small, your costume still looks lovely. Smile

Alas, I don't have any advice for the flexible parasol, but I do think you're right about the slight oval shape as opposed to a perfect circle.

For the casting, did you have a small air hole at the other end of your mold? The air inside will need a place to go as you start filing it. That might be your problem. And of course, you'll need to make sure it get into every cranny as you go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: