Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e69b5613b6d654192f59828df3671ca6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

2018-2019 Call for Detachment Staff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: 2018-2019 Call for Detachment Staff Reply with quote

First of all, I'm honored to be chosen as CO! Thank you everyone who participated in the election, thank you everyone who participated in the re-do election, and thank you to Vlastimil for all the amazing things you've done for this detachment. (Impressive trivia: He was the first member of detachment leadership in the Legion to set up an official website for his detachment, and he's been working behind the scenes to guide other detachments too.)

As for my staff, the web team wants to know who my DXO is going to be, so I'm going to turn around and ask all of you!
Here's all the roles I want to fill this term. Want to get involved and work on projects? Let's rock 2018/19!

Notes:
Not all positions and position descriptions are necessarily set in stone. If you want to help with something that isn't listed, or if ONE aspect of a job appeals to you in particular, then definitely mention that. Also, you don't need a position to chase after cool project ideas this term. If you ever want to contribute something to the detachment, send me a message.

To apply, comment with:

1. The position(s) you're interested in
2. What kinds of things you're looking forward to working on to help the detachment
3. Relevant experience and community projects/involvement

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Detachment Executive Officer (Command Staff)
Familiar with the charter and experienced with various rules and regulations
Assists with main Detachment operations such as submitting final costume standard drafts, ratifying Hangar Bays, finding answers to questions, and misc. troubleshooting.
Stays up to date in the detachment community and contributes to discussions and projects that span multiple detachments

Detachment Membership Officer of Costuming (Administrative Staff)
Leads Character Captains
Coordinates build thread support
Coordinates adding costume resources to website.
Coordinates costume standard rewrite project
Helps format and push new costume standards through.

Detachment Membership Officer of Community (Administrative Staff)
Primary admin for DB94 Facebook Community Group
Assists PR Officer with Facebook page
Responsible for updating the Detachment Members thread.
Assists Hangar Bay Deck Officers in planning local activities.
Helps run Trooping Incentive program

Detachment Public Relations Officer (Additional Staff)
Coordinates with the LPRO to get promotional materials created and approved.
Serves as the point of contact on branding and PR matters on the website and elsewhere
Primary admin for DB94 Facebook page
Assists Community Membership Officer with Facebook group

Detachment Merch Officer (Additional Staff)
Ideally good at vector design
Prior experience with merch runs or similar
Coordinates with Legion Merch Offier and Detachment PR Officer to organize all merch production for the Detachment.
(Immediate patch run, then trading cards, racing shirts, and Photo Heist items)
Assist Hangar Bay Deck Officers with merch production

Detachment Webmaster (Additional Staff)
Good with Wordpress
Works with web contributions from the rest of the team

Detachment Charity Officer (Additional Staff)
Ideally has prior experience with fundraisers
Finds opportunities to positively contribute to charitable causes on a detachment level through fundraisers, specialty troops coordinated with Hangar Bays, and more
Works with PR officer to highlight members'charitable efforts on social media

Wookiee Captain, Rogue Captain, and Smuggler Captain (Additional Staff)
Primary point of contact for all costuming questions in their section.
Assists Costuming Membership Officer with build threads, costume standards, and adding resources to website
Ideally familiar with the main costume in their area (Chewie/Jyn/Han) and at least one other

Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47

Last edited by coryphefish (Colleen J) on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I'd like to be DXO. There's a lot of work to do here in the Fringe.

2) I'd like to have as many members being part actively as possible. 33 people voting out of 525 is really... weird, to saying the least.

3) I was the first in my country to join the Rebel Legion, I am a founding member of our Base in Argentina and I am currently DO of our new Hangar Bay. I love all the things scoundrel 😊
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'd like to volunteer for Detachment Membership Officer of Community (Administrative Staff) and/or Detachment XO.

2. I am looking forward to seeing our detachment grow. It was surprising to me how many members of my own base didn't know about Docking Bay 94, much less that there was an election going on. I want to see more Fringe members and costumes in the coming year and more activity in general. Many detachments have troop incentives and I'd like to help coordinate and work on that with other members of the team.

3. I have been an active member of RL for over 2 years and am also the one who spearheaded the movement for a new detachment within Rebel Legion (still pending). I have coordinated multiple big events within my base and am active on Instragram/Facebook/Twitter. I am a moderator for the Padme Amidala group on Facebook and actively participate in the Facebook groups (Stardust Sisters, Bun Squad, Mother of Falcons & Ladies of the Legion primarily) and assist where I can.
I currently have a Jyn Erso (Scariff) approved and an IGC Jyn as well. I believe I would be an asset to these positions as I have plenty of down time throughout the day to help manage the boards etc as well as answer any questions potential members may have. if I don't know the answer, I am quick on finding out who would and connecting the people together to get things done. One downside I see to the forums is that there may be a lot of posts on it but not too many people read them. I hope to help change that for the better by having more active use of it by not just Fringe members but all RL members. In addition to my 2 Jyn costumes, I currently have 33 other costumes approved throughout the different detachments and have experience assisting others in their builds for these costumes. While I am by no means a "professional", I have learned a lot and think I have a lot to offer to help our detachment grow. Mr. Green

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a point of contact on Jyn, I can definitely help with that.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - position you are interested in:
I'd like to volunteer to be the Rogue Captain

2. - kinds of things you're looking forward to working on to help the detachment: When I started my costume journey, I often felt overwhelmed and terrified. I did not know what I was doing (I both literally did not have skills and also kept asking myself 'what are you doing?'). I was really fortunate that I was in a Facebook group that helped me learn a lot of new, useful skills and build my costume. I would not have succeeded without them. My experience with that amazing group of people makes me want to pay it forward and be to others what they were to me. Therefore, what I'm most looking forward to working on to help the detachment is to build that kind of camaraderie on the forums and among the different groups of members. I want to help new and prospective members feel like this is a welcoming, safe place to ask questions and meet fellow enthusiasts of their favorite characters. I want to 'rally the detachment troops' to encourage member participation in helping each other build costumes and get to that moment where you get to stand there and see yourself as your hero (and feel that choking up feeling where you whisper to yourself I'm not crying even though you kinda are). I also want to build a community to empower our members and prospective members as they learn new skills; we often can do far more than we believe we can, and having a community that believes in us helps us get to the point where we can also believe. Basically, I want to help this place be a place where people feel accepted and as if they can succeed.

3. - relevant experience: With regard to costuming, after completing my first costume, I realized that it would be really helpful for people who were new to sewing to have a tutorial that spoke their language. To start that project, I drafted a tutorial for the pants for the Scarif/Jedha/Eadu Jyn variations, which has become one of the main tutorials Jyns use. In addition to the pants tutorial, I drafted a scarf tutorial, and I'm currently working on a belt tutorial that will hopefully be done over the weekend (there will be two versions; one Jyn specific that includes the holster and one general belt tutorial). I also mentored several Jyns who were new to sewing as they made their costumes, and I'm currently mentoring a Holdo. Additionally, I'm one of the admins for the independent Cassian Andor Facebook group for costume builds. I try to be active in my base as I'm very passionate about getting Rebel Legion visibility in our area so people know about us and can join. Outside of costuming, I've been a moderator for several fandom related message boards (mostly in the writing arena), and I have teaching and coaching experience.
BlackSabacc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im interested in Smuggler Captain for Lando Calrissian builds. Willing to do part time Detachment Membership Officer of Community duty for Facebook Community and member thread updates.

2. What kinds of things you're looking forward to working on to help the detachment

To strengthen bonds among members, get them socialized, interacted and connected with each other as possible, thus members can spark interest and can inspire others to join in. Keep Building a lively and better community within.

Make Fringe/our detachment's presence known to a wider audience; FB and other social networks would be the best medium for that. Assign active admin, moderators and post contributors for FB/twitter/instagram.

I think it would be nice if we a newer Chat platform, where everyone would benefit, not just our detachment. Probably linked to FB or any social network, where one can easily register an account.

I got my own Lando FB page/group that I manage, where I aim to make Lando more interesting and have more Lando customers in turn, probably to have a congregation of Landos in an event.

I would want to do the same for our detachment, to have more interested members which will actively participate.

You might want to buckle up, Baby!

Captain Solo (Evert Joosse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Black Sabacc is going to do the Lando applications, I might as well volunteer for the Han ones Very Happy

What was that? Smuggler captain for the Han Solo builds I suppose.

Hoping to interact with fellow costumers around the world, sharing the passion for the character. Hoping to help people to reach their dream of becoming that Galactic Scoundrel we all know we really are inside.

Did a lot of research for my four approved Han Solo costumes. To be honest, I try to emulate Harrison Ford's costumes as much as I can in real life as well as on my Instagram account. Yes, also Indiana Jones and Rick Deckard.

I have been contacted quite a few times before about my costumes and I have always tried to help the people who asked me, telling them what I knew and putting them in contact with vendors that I knew would produce the stuff they were looking for and in the right quality.

Long time Star Wars fan here. Been fascinated with Han Solo ever since I first saw the movie back in 1979. So for those of you who are keeping count, yes, I am old. 43 to be exact.

I am Dutch myself, but I am fluent in several languages and because my grandmother was Scottish my English is at native speaker level.

I work as a school teacher (part time 😉) and am an active member of the Dune Sea Base. I try to attend as many charity troops as I can, also with the Dutch Garrison (Of which I am not a member), always as Han Solo, as I believe that is the essence that sets us apart from other costume / cosplay groups. That we actively try to make a difference.

Before becoming a teacher I worked for a costume and prop company here in the Netherlands and that, as well as several years of experience as a historical reenactor, has taught me my attention to detail as far as costumes and props are concerned.
Dax-Kai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to volunteer for Detachment Membership Officer of Costuming (Administrative Staff)

I'm looking forward to working with the DCO and DXO in administrating all costume standard developments and rewrites, as well as working to provide a forum community to assist all members and prospective members in costume development. I also wish to support the Captains in their role as costuming liasons.

I am fairly new to Rebel Legion, but have been a clubs member for almost 2 years. I am a professional costumer, with an emphasis in replica analysis. I have been doing this for nearly 10 years. I have multiple RL and 501st approved costumes that I have completely constructed myself, some of which were legion firsts, with no reference as a guide. I believe my expertise can be invaluable to the team in identifying key details and establishing helpful and accurate Costuming Standards. Additionally, I have experience in my professional and personal life leading teams, and coordinating projects.

Thanks! Smile
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I like to volunteer to be Wookiee Captain.

2. I like helping Wookiee’s out, getting their costumes ready to be summitted for approvalinto the RL. Our ncostumes are a bit different to make and get ready. Want to see the Wookiee’s grow in numbers and in strength.

3. I have been a Wookiee LCJ for over 2 years now, I spent the last year as a BXO , I’m a 501st GML and have been advising 501st costumes for 4 years. I have helped with making at least 15 costumes since joining the different legions/clubs

Wear the Hair!
Sonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to throw my name in for the Pr officer. Very much in to the fringe group/ lifestyle with. 5 approved Han's and a Qira and JYN on deck. I run a major commerce textile company with rich social media so very familiar with metrics and posting for success. Plus, I want to grow in to RL leadership and see this as a great job to start with!
TFA KYLO REN
ANH Trooper
First Order Trooper
ANH Vader
Imperial Officer
Solo A Star Wars Story Solo
SaraJyn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Sarajane. I am interested in the position of Detachment Executive Officer.

I look forward to helping make the Fringe detachment run smoother, especially in regards to making awesome, approve-able costumes, and getting them submitted. Apparently many people find the process intimidating and/or confusing. We are already working on improving the CRLs, which is great, and I look forward to getting to help on that, but I also think people need to know they can get good feedback, either on the forums or on Facebook, before they ever submit their costume for official judging. I found this to be super helpful on both of my personal builds so far (coincidentally, I have also posted a WIP for my husband's costume, and I've heard nothing back from that one. It isn't Fringe, and I'm not complaining, my point is it is SO awesome and encouraging when the detachment members/officers ARE helpful!).

I also look forward to increasing our presence, if that makes sense. I think encouraging/helping bases to develop Hanger Bays is a great idea, which I look forward to maybe getting to help with. My own base doesn't have one! (I'm going to see if I can fix that...) But it could be a useful resource for potential new members or just new builds, to be able to connect with local Fringe members. Sometimes an internet-based answer simply won't do. More hanger bays would also increase the general Fringe connectedness, and make it more fun to be a Rebel!

As for my experience on these kind of things, well I've made my own Jyn Erso costume, pretty much from scratch. I also built an Ewok, which I am quite proud of. And I have enjoyed getting to help/ give advice, on how other people can get their Jyn/ewok costumes finished. I have also helped some friends' with other SW costumes, even before I was officially Rebel Legion.

Outside of Star Wars, I have been making and helping other people make costumes, and props, for many many years, from many different genres. For a number of years I helped run a local chapter of a LARP (Alliance LARP, formally known as NERO); I was on plot, but my main job was property master: I was in charge of making/finding most of the NPC costumes and many of our props, as well as maintaining and storing all the gear. We were a small staff, so our jobs overlapped a lot, and covered a lot of ground, but I was good at helping the game run smoothly. It was an incredible learning experience for me, both on the creative side, how to make stuff etc, and on the operational side of things: how to help big group/events run smoothly, well, usually. In both cosplay and the LARP, I have found myself to be rather good at coming up with creative answers to problems, either on my own or from other sources like the internet or my cosplay community.

Bottom line, I truly enjoy getting involved and helping out where I can.

Thanks for your consideration!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: