Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d4f52451d0e2a37ebf5d376f8c0afb56Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New Standard] General Leia Organa - Crait
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> RLGS Standards Development -> RLGS New Standards In Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:
I do think we need to revisit the color of the outer/great cloak. The following is from the standards discussion, posted by PondLife81:

3.) Great Cloak:
a. Floor length great cloak is constructed of a seal brown matte sateen finish fabric (pantone mix of 19-1314 TPX/19-0810 TCX), this is not a silk type satin, but a brushed satin suiting.

It is my understanding that she has seen this cloak, and has done some color matching/testing. (Please do correct me if I am wrong on this.)

Agree. The original color even in my images shows a desaturated brown.

LMO 501st Legion
ALMO Rebel Legion
PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my absence. Besides the elections, everything life got very real for a few week. I would really like to revisit several things about this CRL.

There is a big difference between a Great Cloak and a Inverness cloak, I can write it up here or you can google it, the images are pretty clear.

The color: like the Pentanes I originally put up, I would add this description, just for you, not for the write up. "It is the color of old chocolate." Its a deep brown with a hazy overcast.

I am including photos from my collection. These were taken at a special viewing I was given, I want to use this image at this time for the sake of conversation but not for the archive at this moment. I was given this access because of my professional status and I don't really want it out there, if that is possible.

Photos of actual cloak in non Jelled light:

Flat Pantone: (Not a spectrum)
#48413E

Pantone: (Light Spectrum-what its going to do when it hits light)

Please ask me questions.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd rather not get so specific as to say 'this pantone color' in the standards, so we need to use a more generic color descriptor like 'olive-brown' or 'grey-brown' or something like that.

But thanks for the careful analysis and the pictures for discussion. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be helpful to include a note like (approximately pantone #48413E), which would give people a good color reference but not lock them in in a way that becomes too restrictive.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The items that concerns me:

Required Items

Boots
Required Details
• Plain black closed-toed boots with low heel (up to 2″ or 5 cm)
• Boots do not have any buckles, laces, or obvious decorative designs.
Optional Details
• None

Under Dress
Required Details
• The dress has a flared, gradual A-line shape.
• Dress is made of dark chocolate brown to off-black, diamond patterned, lightweight fabric (suggested: cotton, other lightweight matte fabric).
• The diamond pattern is embroidered onto the fabric with a cream or metallic thread. (This is not the case, the thread is a brown top thread and a cream bobbin thread, the bobbin thread peaks out, causing the flecks)
• The dress is floor length to 1 inch (2.5 cm) off the floor.
• The dress has a wide jewel neckline that dips below the clavicle.
• Under dress has no visible seams or darts on the front.
• Under dress has smooth-cap, narrow-wrist, full-length sleeves.
Optional Details
• Dress is lined with a dark, solid colored, lightweight fabric.
• The bottom of the dress and lining are finished independently with a 2 inch (5 cm) hem with no visible stitching on the outer garment.

Great Cloak
Required Details
• Great cloak is slightly longer than the under dress. It is between floor-length to 1 inch (2.5 cm) off the floor.
• Great cloak is looser than the under dress.
• Great cloak is made of a very dark grey-brown matte satin finish fabric (pantone mix of 19-1314 TPX/19-0810 TCX). Suggested fabric: brushed satin suiting. (Will accept Seal Brown)
• Cloak has an asymmetrical center front opening that extends directly from the front of the garment without a neck seam.
• The collar, in the standing position, meets the center of the wearer’s ear on the side and extends around concealing the face to the bridge of the nose.
• The back of the collar is shaped by a separate collar piece connecting to the center back by a horizontal neck seam. Collar reaches past the wearer’s hairline.
• Sleeves attach to cloak armhole about half way up the armhole in the front and are attached through about half way down the back of the armhole. (This needs to be rewritten)
• The bottom of the sleeves end just below the knee and taper back to end at the bottom hem of great cloak.
• The sleeves are faced with the outer fabric and lined with a matching brown silk-like fabric.
• The collar and center front opening are self-faced with the outer fabric. (Should mention lining here)
• There is no visible topstitching on any edges.
Optional Details
• The right collar has the ability to close over the left with an invisible closure on the left shoulder. (This is never seen in the movie, just the display)
• There is no center back seam to the cape.
• The cloak is fully lined with a matching brown silk-like fabric. (Why is this not up with the facing comment? Put all Cloak Body info together, all collar info together, all sleeve information together)

Hair
Required Details
• The front of the hair is styled swept back in front with a twisted band across the top of the head.
• There is a bouffant style hair bump at the crown of the head approximately 3 inches (7.6 cm) in height. (It is not that high)
• The front twisted band is hidden on the sides by sections of hair above the ears – these sections are pinned under the bouffant hair in the back of the head. (Not a fan of Bouffant)
• There are two low loose buns pinned to the bottom of the hairline covering the back of the head horizontally. The buns start vertically at the halfway point of the ear and ending at the halfway point of the neck. (Are you trying to say that they are on a slant? Her hair changes from scene to scene)
• Naturally-occurring hair color only (brown with a touch of gray recommended); no bangs. If a wig or extensions are used, they must be of high quality and appear like real hair.
Optional Details
• None

Earrings
Required Details
• Gold or bronze ear cuffs on both ears
• Earrings curl around the lower ear lobe and extend up the back of the ear
Optional Details
• None

Bracelet
Required Details
• Brass or antique gold bracelet is worn on the right wrist.
• Bracelet is made of 3 round bands.
• Bracelet is decorated with 3 large brass or antique gold disk-shaped beads and cut blue stones.
Optional Details
• None

Rings
Required Details
• Gold or bronze ring with two circular blue stones worn on the right ring finger
• Gold or bronze blue tone oval ring worn on the left ring finger
Optional Details
• None

Optional Items

Tracking Device
Required Details
• Tracking device worn on the left wrist colored to match visual references and held with an approximately Ό inch/.6 cm black chord.
Optional Details
• None

Blaster Rifle
Required Details
• Black DH-17 blaster rifle as seen in The Last Jedi
Optional Details
• None

Makeup

Required Details
• Makeup is natural looking
Optional Details
• Matte red-brown lipstick
• Light blush
• Light brown eyeshadow
• Mascara

My biggest notes would be cleaning up the format, making sure that the fabric notes on each item are placed together, same with facings and linings. This will make it easier for costumers to follow as they plan their builds.

Terminologies as well can be cleared up as well. The use of Great Cloak is a not a good term for this. As I wrote in my original standard break down it is an Inverness Cloak. Now I understand that many are not familiar with this garments name but if you are googling images it will give you a better description for the sleeve to cloak formation of the shoulders than Great Cloak. I am also attaching several imaged of the Inverness Gown/cloak that the Queen wears for Parliament. It is the garment that the designer used as inspiration.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points. We definitely want it to be as concise and easy to understand as possible. Smile

Gown:
How about:
The diamond pattern is embroidered onto the fabric with brown top and cream bobbin threads. The cream thread peaks through as little flecks.
Optional: Other methods and fabrics emulating the embroidery effect are acceptable.

Cloak:
Instead of 'Great cloak' perhaps just 'cloak'? Then adding in a descriptor of the type under it.
"This type of cloak is similar to an Inverness Cloak."

Which sounds best/easiest to understand:
Cloak is made of a dark grey-brown matte satin finish fabric
Cloak is made of a Seal Brown matte satin finish fabric

I fear 'seal brown' may leave too much open for interpretation as a color name. We have to consider that far from everyone will have English as their first or even their second language and may not be very proficient at it.

Agreed. We need clearer language.
Sleeves attach to armscye at the shoulder no more than approximately 5 inches / 12-13 cm down each side. (Length dependent on wearer).

I suggest this moves to optional:
The right collar has the ability to close over the left with an invisible closure on the left shoulder.

And also agreed that everything pertaining to the same issue should be grouped together.

Hair:
How high would you estimate it to be? I'd say maybe 2 inches / 5 cm, but it depends a bit on which image and what angle you look at.

There are two low loose buns pinned to the bottom of the hairline covering the back of the head horizontally. The top of the buns are level with the ears and they cover the neck. (Better?)

Rings:
Gold or bronze blue toned (multicolor stone) oval ring worn on the left ring finger.
I added in that the stone is, in fact, not a solid color, but multicolored. The blue is just the predominant color.

Anything else we need to catch?

Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on that "seal brown" is a confusing description of the colour of the coat, I've never heard that has a colour term.

I think grey brown, and then add a couple of colour references to the standard would be a good ida.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Anne wrote:
I agree on that "seal brown" is a confusing description of the colour of the coat, I've never heard that has a colour term.

I think grey brown, and then add a couple of colour references to the standard would be a good ida.

But it isn't Grey Brown at all. If you google Seal Brown, which is a good color description, you will get a really really close color match instantly to the outer garment.

Quote:
The diamond pattern is embroidered onto the fabric with brown top and cream bobbin threads. The cream thread peaks through as little flecks.
Optional: Other methods and fabrics emulating the embroidery effect are acceptable.

I like this. The mention of the actual fabric as a guide, but not a deal breaker. I have seen several costumers make this underdress with a speckle or a texture and it reads really well for this garment.

Quote:
Cloak:
Instead of 'Great cloak' perhaps just 'cloak'? Then adding in a descriptor of the type under it.
"This type of cloak is similar to an Inverness Cloak."

I had this originally in my guideline. I think it would be helpful.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking all of the comments together. plus adding her cane as an optional accessory:

I also added some more screenshots to the RLGS Gallery.

Quote:
Standard Name: General Leia Organa (Crait)
Primary Detachment: Rebel Legion Galactic Senate
Submission Date:
Existing Standard URL: None

Front Image
URL:
Source:

Back / Second View Image
URL:
Source:

Character Description
Leia Organa Solo (born Leia Amidala Skywalker) was, at various stages of her life, a politician, revolutionary, and Jedi Knight of the New Jedi Order. The daughter of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmι Amidala of Naboo, Leia was the younger twin sister of Luke Skywalker, and, shortly after her birth, she became the adopted daughter of Bail Organa and Queen Breha of Alderaan, making her a Princess of Alderaan. An accomplished Senator, Leia Organa was most famous for her strong leadership during the Galactic Civil War and other subsequent galactic conflicts, making her one of the galaxy’s greatest heroes. (Source Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leia_Organa_Solo)

Required Items

Boots

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Plain black closed-toed boots with low heel (up to 2″ or 5 cm)
• Boots do not have any buckles, laces, or obvious decorative designs.

Optional Details
• None

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Under Dress

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• The dress has a flared, gradual A-line shape.
• Dress is made of dark chocolate brown to off-black, diamond patterned, lightweight fabric (suggested: cotton, other lightweight matte fabric).
• The diamond pattern is embroidered onto the fabric with brown top and cream bobbin threads. The cream thread peaks through as little flecks.
• The dress is floor length to 1 inch (2.5 cm) off the floor.
• The dress has a wide jewel neckline that dips below the clavicle.
• Under dress has no visible seams or darts on the front.
• Under dress has smooth-cap, narrow-wrist, full-length sleeves.
Optional Details
• Dress is lined with a dark, solid colored, lightweight fabric.
• The bottom of the dress and lining are finished independently with a 2 inch (5 cm) hem with no visible stitching on the outer garment.
• Other methods and fabrics emulating the embroidery effect are acceptable.

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Cloak

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• This type of cloak is similar to an Inverness Cloak
• Cloak is slightly longer than the under dress. It is between floor-length to 1 inch (2.5 cm) off the floor.
• Cloak is looser than the under dress.
• Cloak is made of a Seal Brown/deep brown matte satin finish fabric (approximately Pantone 19-1314 TPX/19-0810 TCX). Suggested fabric: brushed satin suiting.
• The cloak is fully lined with a matching brown silk-like fabric.
• Cloak has an asymmetrical center front opening that extends directly from the front of the garment without a neck seam.
• The collar, in the standing position, meets the center of the wearer’s ear on the side and extends around concealing the face to the bridge of the nose.
• The back of the collar is shaped by a separate collar piece connecting to the center back by a horizontal neck seam. Collar reaches past the wearer’s hairline.
• Sleeves attach to armscye at the shoulder no more than approximately 5 inches / 12-13 cm down each side. (Length dependent on wearer).
• The bottom of the sleeves end just below the knee and taper back to end at the bottom hem of great cloak.
• The sleeves are faced with the outer fabric and lined with a matching brown silk-like fabric.
• The collar and center front opening are self-faced with the outer fabric.
• There is no visible topstitching on any edges.
Optional Details
• The right collar has the ability to close over the left with an invisible closure on the left shoulder.

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Hair

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• The front of the hair is styled swept back in front with a twisted band across the top of the head.
• There is a bouffant style hair bump at the crown of the head approximately 2 inches (5 cm) in height.
• The front twisted band is hidden on the sides by sections of hair above the ears – these sections are pinned under the bouffant hair in the back of the head.
• There are two low loose buns pinned to the bottom of the hairline covering the back of the head horizontally. The top of the buns are level with the ears and they cover the neck.
• Naturally-occurring hair color only (brown with a touch of gray recommended); no bangs.
Optional Details
• If a wig or extensions are used, they must be of high quality and appear like real hair.

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Earrings

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Gold or bronze ear cuffs on both ears
• Earrings curl around the lower ear lobe and extend up the back of the ear
Optional Details
• None

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Bracelet

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Brass or antique gold bracelet is worn on the right wrist.
• Bracelet is made of 3 round bands.
• Bracelet is decorated with 3 large brass or antique gold disk-shaped beads and cut blue stones.
Optional Details
• None

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Rings

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Gold or bronze blue toned (multicolor stone) oval ring worn on the left ring finger.
• Gold or bronze blue tone oval ring worn on the left ring finger
Optional Details
• None

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Optional Items

Tracking Device

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Tracking device worn on the left wrist colored to match visual references and held with an approximately Ό inch/.6 cm black chord.
Optional Details
• None

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Blaster Rifle

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Black DH-17 blaster rifle as seen in The Last Jedi
Optional Details
• None

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Makeup

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
• Makeup is natural looking
Optional Details
• Matte red-brown lipstick
• Light blush
• Light brown eyeshadow
• Mascara

Additional Images

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source

URL:
Source:

URL:
Source:

Costume Resources:
• Reference Photo Gallery – http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=general-leia-organa-crait
• Member Build Threads – http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028533#1028533
[/quote]

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is good improvements in wording especial in the construction notes. There are a couple items I am questioning:

Quote:
Optional Details
• The right collar has the ability to close over the left with an invisible closure on the left shoulder.

If there isn't a seam in the back of the cape why would we make this an optional detail, I would move this detail up to the other section.

Quote:
• Naturally-occurring hair color only (brown with a touch of gray recommended); no bangs.
Optional Details

This would be better stated (If something needs to be added at all) as 'colors reflecting those on screen', rather than Brown with Gray, because her hair isn't brown, but I think this detail should be removed all together.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. Smile

I'm questioning the use of the wookieepedia intro to the character; those definitions haven't been updated to reflect the new canon, but still adhere to the EU/legends canon, of which this costume have no part.
Are we even sure she's called Organa Solo in this canon? And have anyone actually ever seen an official reference for the 'born Leia Amidala Skywalker' note?
I think we should remember that it's a fan managed site and that part of the intro don't have any references.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> RLGS Standards Development -> RLGS New Standards In Progress All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: