Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=43d864c0b6d67585c9ad3b9191684658Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RotS Wookiee shield project - dimensions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenOlis ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: RotS Wookiee shield project - dimensions? Reply with quote

(Reposting this here from the RPF, hoping the wookiee-focused subforum can help me out!)
In connection with my Star Wars 'living history' blog, I am slowly but surely working on building up a collection of in-universe 'artifacts' from different galactic cultures--a Twi'lek dagger, Ewok bow & arrows, a braintanned Ewok hood, a gadderfii, a B1 battledroid arm, etc. One piece that recently caught my eye in the Visual Dictionary was this Wookiee shield from the battle of Kachirho:

I remember seeing it in person in the LFL Archive exhibit back at Celebration3, and being very impressed by the wood carving...and well within my capabilities. My problem is, I have no idea how big the dang thing is. I stitched a few pictures together and it looks to be roughly as tall as the Chewie--who I believe is 7 feet 3 inches or so. If that's the case, the wookiee in the screencap must be a runt (if we assume the shield prop is 7.5' then he's a bit less than 6')!...I think this effect is a result of Lucas putting a regular-size person in the costume and having him hold a prop made for a character 7'+.
If we assume that the wookiee with the shield is meant to be a regular size (7'+), then the shield is almost 9'! While I would like to make it truly wookiee-scaled, I think I should stick with copying the real-world artifact from the exhibit.
The Visual Dictionary has a great straight-on image, but there's nothing for scale. Can anyone direct me to any resources to help find some dimensions on this thing? Has anyone ever contacted the LFL Archives to request a measurement of a prop?
Any help is appreciated!
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the props were built life sized for the movie and there were now average sized people stand ins.

If it helps, dont think of the piece as a shield, but more like a forearm bracer. Or more like captain americas sheilds in infinity war. Also its not carved in wood. It was sculpted in clay and then cast.
CitizenOlis ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some more squinting and figuring, I've settled on 7.5 feet for the shield height.
The Wookiee Workshop wrote:
Also its not carved in wood. It was sculpted in clay and then cast.

Interesting! Though I'm not surprised (it's a background prop and that makes sense from a production-economy standpoint), do you have a source for that info?
Regardless, I'll be carving mine--or at least a large portion of it; I'm thinking about producing a partial battledamaged shield as a 'found artifact'.

Woodwork has always seemed a major component of Wookiee culture, especially as evidenced by this:
"The Wookiee language contains over 150 words for wood, many of them devoted to grain, moisture content, and factors that can influence warping, twisting, and checking. Shipboard logs cite instances of Wookiees effecting temporary repairs of starship drives using pieces of wood. Commentators have classified even their blasters as "art," and yet the language has no word for "artist." Wookiees view their innate talents for carving and engraving as mere survival skills." (SW Complete Visual Dictionary, p. 180.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: