Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4036ce31401ca1d8129a3ef4886c0d0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Star Wars: Resistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bh1138 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Star Wars: Resistance Reply with quote

Watching the character intro for Resistance that dropped yesterday, this outfit caught my eye.

Kaz, it would seem, is starting out with the New Republic and consequently giving us our first glimpse of sequel-era NR uniforms. I really dig the look, so even though we probably won't have solid enough reference to start building until the show premieres, I thought I'd go ahead and start my planning/WIP thread.

Here are a few observations so far:

The gloves, which Kaz also wears with his other outfit, have a raised panel on the back with two glowing white rectangles. Hard to say what material they (or any of the costume) should be given the lighting and style of the animation

The NR logo is on both shoulders, and the hose coming out of the flak vest seems to be retractable based on this and the first picture

And finally for now, the visor is definitely translucent and not mirrored based on this blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot where you can see a face through it.

Fingers crossed that we see more before the premiere, but if not, I'm sure I'll be diving in headfirst come october Very Happy
bh1138 ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no boots or full back shots, but today's trailer did feature a few moments with some more clear helmet details

Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was fortunate enough to get to a screening on Friday. While I don't remember much of the details of the costume, it's seen on a few different characters, so it should be approvable as a generic. There's enough full-body shots to make it work. It is indeed a New Republic pilot uniform!
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye this will fit well with the pilots i think

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, so this costume is more suitable for pilot detachment than fringe, correct?

ps: based on info from bh1138, this topic was moved here from pilot forum without no information to creator of topic, or this detachment ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Ryan, so this costume is more suitable for pilot detachment than fringe, correct?

ps: based on info from bh1138, this topic was moved here from pilot forum without no information to creator of topic, or this detachment ...

Haha wow that's funny. Well the show will be out soon enough

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
bh1138 ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that my thread has returned from its unexpected vacation to docking bay 94, I've started on the first bit of my build: the helmet! I'm using an old baseball helmet as a base. So far I've trimmed away some of the original helmet and made the forehead shield and chin area. I'm building out new additions to the base helmet with sintra, and will smooth out the seams and the step out around the ears on the baseball helmet with bondo.

(disregard the incorrect earcaps on thereference picture, I traced it from a really blurry and dark shot in the "meet team fireball" video a few weeks ago

bh1138 ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So watching the episode, I'm curious what the pilots at the beginning mean for this costume's prospects as a generic uniform. In the episode, we see 3 new republic pilots. All 3 seem to wear the same uniform as Kaz, but the colors for each are unique.

As you can see, all 3 have black, white, a darker blue, and a lighter blue in the same areas of the uniform. However, the particular shades of blue are different for each pilot. I'm curious how this will be handled for approval purposes. Currently, I see a few possibilities:

-Treat Kaz's uniform as a unique character and the only approvable example of the NR pilot because he's the only one we've seen in full-body so far

-Treat Kaz's colors as the generic model because, as noted, there are full-body references and it follows the apparent color pattern and style of all the others

- Make Kaz's uniform the model for a generic NR pilot in terms of construction, but allow any of the 3 color combinations featured in the show

I'd love to hear what anyone else is thinking about this matter Smile
bh1138 ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, long time not update! So I haven't really made much progress on this since my last post, but I was re-energized by a set of Resistance costume breakdowns on the official site the other day that included the New Republic Navy. As far as actual progress, I've done a bit of fiberglass and bondo work to the helmet and added the little discs on the visor and cheek areas. I've also cut out the outer earcap panels, 3d printed some hose connectors for the cheeks, and purchased a yellow moped helmet face shield to trim down and heat form into this helmet.

The costume reference PDFs and design inspiration gave me some good cues to start looking for fabrics though. I've ordered a couple different blue swatches of the same type of solarium fabric that many resistance x-wing pilots use, as I feel the consistency would make sense. I also found some light blue nylon that I may try to use for the padded vest and lower sleeves.

The designer listed coast guard rescue gear as an inspiration, and when you look at it, there's a very direct parallel.

Because of this, I think the "white" stripes on the sleeves and vest ought to be highly reflective safety tape. The kneepads on the coast guard suits are evidently kevlar and the neck seals are rubber. In these area's I'm leaning towards materials that have similar appearances but are not exactly the same. I'm not sure on the kevlar yet, but for the neck, I'm thinking thin stretch vinyl with a very rubbery finish.

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks about my plans for the suit and anything I should consider doing differently. Here's the article I've been referencing so you can see the comments and images for yourself

https://www.starwars.com/news/cosplay-command-center-resistance Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: