Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ac48524233bd605bf56d9b00e51170b5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A bit intimidated...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArpBoopBeepBoop ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: A bit intimidated... Reply with quote

I joined this outfit because for a few reasons...one, I've always made my own costumes for stuff and as I get older and time and money become far more tight I've been considering putting the effort and funds into one really good costume that I can pull out and wear whenever and get the same magical feeling each time I put it on. Second, I want to do more for my community and charity work in general. So I figured why not combine the two into one.

Now, after doing some reading and research through the forums I find myself a little intimidated. Not at the work, I'm more than willing to put the time in on this. But rather I'm worried about putting the time and effort into my dream X-Wing pilot costume only to get rejected for approval.

I've read the standards, but the little disclaimer at the bottom is what gets me. The idea that there's unlisted items that could get me disqualified kinda scares the crap out of me.

I don't know what I'm looking for, maybe some reassurance or perhaps some help on what details may be scrutinized under the unlisted standards? Any help is appreciated.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! It's good to have you here. With the attitude and skills that you're already bringing with you, I wouldn't anticipate that you'll be cutting any corners or doing sloppy work.

The original trilogy Rebel Pilot uniform and the Resistance X-Wing pilots are well-documented costumes in the Legion. Lots of people have done them and have posted a ton of great information in the Pilots subforum. Head on over there and you'll get lots of info on patterns to make it yourself, and there are reviews on vendors that offer pre-made items.

Once you've done your research between the official standards and the handy tutorials, and you're ready to start building, it's smart to create your own build thread that you post pics of your progress in. Other members will chime in and give good guidance. This will also give you practice in taking pictures of your costume, which is essential for your acceptance submission -- judges say that most delays happen due to bad pictures rather than bad costumes.

Again, it sounds like you bring a lot of dedication with you. Remember that you make your costume for yourself, and the Legion is here to help us achieve the most "straight out of the screen" look as possible.

Looking forward to your progress!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings! I understand what you mean, it can be pretty intimidating, but it's really not as complicated as it sounds. There are lots of resources around the forum where you can get tips on building the costume and you're free to ask questions and seek advice. The X-wing pilot has a lot of parts available to purchase, even the coveralls, so you can always go that route, too. Though it can be a good idea to ask on the forum before you buy because some costume suppliers (*cough cough* CostumeBase *cough cough*) don't meet the standards.

And you can always contact one of us judges, too, we're always happy to help. I'm a pilot costume judge myself so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Building costume isn't always easy but in the end it's always worth it. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArpBoopBeepBoop ()

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Blue Banshee Leader"]Greetings! I understand what you mean, it can be pretty intimidating, but it's really not as complicated as it sounds. There are lots of resources around the forum where you can get tips on building the costume and you're free to ask questions and seek advice. The X-wing pilot has a lot of parts available to purchase, even the coveralls, so you can always go that route, too. Though it can be a good idea to ask on the forum before you buy because some costume suppliers (*cough cough* CostumeBase *cough cough*) don't meet the standards.

And you can always contact one of us judges, too, we're always happy to help. I'm a pilot costume judge myself so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Building costume isn't always easy but in the end it's always worth it. Smile[/quote]

Oh boy, funny you should mention Costume Base as their flight harness is something I already have from my disastrous FCBD costume attempt lol.
Domnu (Christina Maher)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-wing is an awesome costume! I have enjoyed trooping in mine. Attention to details can be daunting. I started with the jumpsuit. Elvis Trouper make amazing metal code cylinders and leg and belt flares. He also has an Etsy store.

Get detail pictures of the movie stills. When I make a costume I get the best clearest pictures of the costumes each area of detail makes all the difference.
XWingKC (Joy Hargraves)
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArpBoopBeepBoop wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Greetings! I understand what you mean, it can be pretty intimidating, but it's really not as complicated as it sounds. There are lots of resources around the forum where you can get tips on building the costume and you're free to ask questions and seek advice. The X-wing pilot has a lot of parts available to purchase, even the coveralls, so you can always go that route, too. Though it can be a good idea to ask on the forum before you buy because some costume suppliers (*cough cough* CostumeBase *cough cough*) don't meet the standards.

Oh boy, funny you should mention Costume Base as their flight harness is something I already have from my disastrous FCBD costume attempt lol.

Hello! How is your progress coming along? We also have a Rebel Pilot Build group on Facebook. You are more than welcome to join that! Just request to join and answer the question. Thank you!
Approved: Jedi Archivist, Human X Wing Pilot, Twi'lek X Wing Pilot

ArpBoopBeepBoop ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="XWingKC"][quote="ArpBoopBeepBoop"][quote="Blue Banshee Leader"]Greetings! I understand what you mean, it can be pretty intimidating, but it's really not as complicated as it sounds. There are lots of resources around the forum where you can get tips on building the costume and you're free to ask questions and seek advice. The X-wing pilot has a lot of parts available to purchase, even the coveralls, so you can always go that route, too. Though it can be a good idea to ask on the forum before you buy because some costume suppliers (*cough cough* CostumeBase *cough cough*) don't meet the standards.

Building costume isn't always easy but in the end it's always worth it. Smile[/quote]

Oh boy, funny you should mention Costume Base as their flight harness is something I already have from my disastrous FCBD costume attempt lol.[/quote]

Hello! How is your progress coming along? We also have a Rebel Pilot Build group on Facebook. You are more than welcome to join that! Just request to join and answer the question. Thank you![/quote]

Thanks, I may just do that! Right now progress is slow as I am a man of many hobbies and not enough resources. My progress thread can be found below. I'd appreciate any advice you may have about my current progress. The tough thing is I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I don't know how to draw a reasonable line for myself.

Thanks!

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96241&highlight=
XWingKC (Joy Hargraves)
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArpBoopBeepBoop wrote:
XWingKC wrote:
ArpBoopBeepBoop wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

Hello! How is your progress coming along? We also have a Rebel Pilot Build group on Facebook. You are more than welcome to join that! Just request to join and answer the question. Thank you!

Thanks, I may just do that! Right now progress is slow as I am a man of many hobbies and not enough resources. My progress thread can be found below. I'd appreciate any advice you may have about my current progress. The tough thing is I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I don't know how to draw a reasonable line for myself.

Thanks!

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96241&highlight=

You are very welcome!! And PLEASE join us in the Rebel Pilot Build Page!! It’s quite active and over 500 strong!! I can check your link out when I get back to my desk today!!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perfectionist costumers unite! Smile Razz

I have the very, very, very slow build of a classic X-wing pilot going on. I'm counting on something being finished within another couple of years. Laughing
So far I think it's only the code cylinders that are done.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
XWingKC (Joy Hargraves)
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Well, perfectionist costumers unite! Smile Razz

I have the very, very, very slow build of a classic X-wing pilot going on. I'm counting on something being finished within another couple of years. Laughing
So far I think it's only the code cylinders that are done.

Are you in the Rebel Pilot Build group on Facebook????

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am. Smile I share what I can of the knowledge I have and learn what I can from others by seeing and hearing what they do.

I also maintain a wip thread on the forum, it has just been standing still for a while.

I should probably mention part of the reason for the slowness is that I make the costume with a friend and we do not live close by each other. At all. (Which she frequently 'complains' to me about). Wink

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Mawee ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine all done but my only problem iis Worried like heck

Last edited by Mawee () on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit intimidated... Reply with quote

ArpBoopBeepBoop wrote:

I've read the standards, but the little disclaimer at the bottom is what gets me. The idea that there's unlisted items that could get me disqualified kinda scares the crap out of me.

I think a lot of people have missed this part of your query. Rules of the unknown are a barrier. Regardless of intent when they are allowed to be interpreted by a multitude of people it will be interpreted in a multitude of ways.

So I had a quick look at a random pilot guide:
http://newsite.rebellegion.com/blue-squadron-x-wing-pilot/

This is actually pretty good- when you take the assumption it does which is that this is the first step not final step in your creation. If this was only a tagline in the judges email not on the requirements, that would be a problem!
In this way you are able to adapt your plans and take into account changes in availability of items year by year or by country. Before an issue arises not after.

For example. Fabrics.

I would love for specific fabrics to be listed. But not every manufacturer of fabrics uses the same term. And there are some that are frankly really misleading. I have just invested in two very expensive fabrics after investigating the sellers and putting my trust in them. It's still really nerve wracking as someone who knows exactly what to look for now to yarn gauge and z vs s twist. And while looking for it I found hundreds of listing of fabric that were not at all related, some were straight up scams. The sellers were just using generic tags that I could not filter out.

So this is where using the forums here are so important. People share their sources and experiences.

There are also many ways to build props/prosthetics. And how effective they are depends on the person making them. If these were limited to specific materials we would wind up funneling everyone to one or two sources and that may then also mean pricing people out of the costume. And losing that source for many reasons.

I hope that helps. I really encourage finding a community within the community here of pilots, look at what people have already done and start a thread with your build. You can ask question on threads and in your own build thread.

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: