Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=46a0f0d9d109c3ed2d43f93b891b3e3eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poe Dameron WIP (advice/commentary appreciated!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solaria (Kristin Laughtin-Dunker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Poe Dameron WIP (advice/commentary appreciated!) Reply with quote

I'm making a Poe Dameron costume for my husband (Blasticus) and would love any feedback before finishing up the mock-up and starting with the real material. I've made tons of Jedi and a few EU costumes, but this is my first attempt at any sort of pilot. The most challenging part so far is figuring out the relative sizes and positions of the leg pockets. After staring at Oscar Isaac, then at my husband, then at Oscar Isaac, then at my husband (a lot), I've determined that Oscar Isaac has proportionally longer legs and thus getting everything to look the right scale on my husband is more complicated than I expected.

For reference, Blasticus is about 5'8".

A while back, a friend sent these initial pictures of my mockup to a friend of hers who is a pilot judge on my behalf:
Left leg:

Right leg:

The judge said the left leg looked good, but had a few statements about the right leg pockets:

1. That the pockets "wrapped around too far"--I'm not sure if he meant it wrapped around too far around the back and should be shifted more to the front/inner thigh?

2. "The side cargo pocket should be bigger too, same length as the front flat pocket". Here I'm not sure if he meant they should be the same width? They're already the same height. I'm concerned that if I just make the side cargo pocket wider, it'll be too square.

3. The third comment was to make the rounded (flat) pocket more rounded, rather than a rectangle with rounded corners.

I thought I was clear on all this at first, but then once I started trying to make the changes, found myself doubting everything I was doing.

Here are new pictures of the right leg. I shifted the right front pocket more to the front, lining up the edge with the edge of the knee cargo pocket, then shifted the side cargo pocket to match (although I pinned them slightly crooked still). I also altered the shape of the flat, rounded pocket:

I'm still very unsure how to approach these pockets on the right leg and would appreciate any feedback on sizing, positions, etc.!

Oh, and here are the dimensions I'm currently using. These would be the finished dimensions (not including seam allowance):

Knee cargo pockets: 5" wide x 6" high
Right side cargo pocket: 5"w x 6"h
Right leg flat/rounded pocket: 6.75"w (at widest point) x 6"h
Left side cargo pocket: 6"w x 7"h

Thanks in advance! Once I get these pockets tackled, I'll finalize the rest of the mockup (adding the placket to cover the zipper, shortening and possibly taking in the sleeves, etc.) and get started on the real thing!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far! As for what I'm seeing...

1. The rounded right leg pocket looks fine. I don't know what the judge is talking about, but the pocket is where it should be. Do keep in mind that the rectangular pocket behind it should overlap the edge of the rounded pocket a little bit-- just the edge of it, with the straight edge of the rounded pocket under the edge of the rectangular pocket. Though you don't have to do this, but it is more accurate.

2. The side pocket on the side of the right leg is also fine. I wouldn't make it any wider.

3. You've got the shape of the rounded pocket correct in the newest images.

So I think you've off to a good start and it looks fine to me. Smile

One thing to note, though, is that the knee pockets shouldn't go over the bottom edge of the chaps. When you get to sewing the pockets on, I'd just scoot the bottom edge of the pocket up about a half inch, maybe a less, so that it doesn't hang over the edge of the chap and is above the bottom edge line stitching. The gray/silver-gray 1" webbing goes directly below the bottom edge of the chap.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - RLSC Pilot Mentor - Alpha Base Member

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solaria (Kristin Laughtin-Dunker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Alex! They're very helpful.

Yes, I will make sure that the rectangular pocket overlaps the edge of the rounded pocket when I make the final version.

The knee pockets also won't go over the bottom edge of the chap. In both sets of pics, they were pinned right at the edge of the chap, although with only one single pin in the first set of pictures and the way the fabric is folding, I can see why it looks like it's hanging lower than the edge of the chaps. I'll scooch it up a bit so that's more clear when I make the real version.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always happy to help! Good luck. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - RLSC Pilot Mentor - Alpha Base Member

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: