Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d30085bd1ed0ba911100788f942bb7eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth/Bespin Escape Leia Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Hoth/Bespin Escape Leia Build Reply with quote

I have a month of freedom coming up in July so figured I would tackle both these costumes during this time.

Another member of RL was approved with this suit as a starting base so after consulting with her, I also ordered it and asked for the same modifications to fabric etc that she did.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Princess-Leia-White-Jumpsuit-costume-custome-made/141855811497?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I asked that the material be changed from satin to cotton with low loft batting. I know I will need to do some hand sewing to make it accurate but I have a good idea of what is needed and will be able to get started on it as soon as it arrives.

I also purchased these boots.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CP5Y1VZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will be using Kankalon hair to make the looped sections of the hair and will post photos once I have the base made.

As far as the Hoth vest, I had a question on fabric. There is no "required" fabric listed anywhere. Some have used twill and others have used a suede like material etc. Would a white twill work for her vest?

Also dimensions on the rank badge and arm greeblie are not listed anywhere. I found this file and plan on getting it printed but would like to have at least a general idea of what would be approved.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1410462

I'm excited to get started on these as I currently only have one ESB Leia costume and would love to have a few more.

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, ERT, Jedi, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very confused at the sizing for the wrist greeblie and the compad. We tried to make it to what we believe works but any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on approvable fabric for the Hoth vest? I have a pattern and want to get started but don't know what fabric will work. Some have suggested twill but I would like a judge weigh in before I proceed. Thank you!

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my jumpsuit in today and it fits great! I can already see a few things I will need to fix before I can submit but overall I am very happy with it!

These are the things I am seeing that I need to fix:

Remove the bottom arm pads and center them with the shoulder one.

Add the detail top stitching to the pads.

Add the back yoke

Add the hook and eye to the neck closure.

Add top stitching to the belt and make the correct closure.

Add elbow top stitching

Is there anything else anyone sees that I need to adjust as well?

Still hoping for some guidance on the best approvable Hoth vest fabric also. Thank you.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 3D prints from my friend yesterday and they look great! To my eye, at least, they appear to be the appropriate sizes for my body type. Before I start sanding and painting them, any feedback?

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're getting things together pretty quickly. It would be easier to judge the size of the printed bits if you had them on the costume.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
It looks like you're getting things together pretty quickly. It would be easier to judge the size of the printed bits if you had them on the costume.

Trying to! I will take a few pics as you suggested this weekend and post. Thank you!

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following... Jesse is interested in this costume as well. Smile

I thought it was way beyond me, but if the changes are relatively small, to an inexpensive base garment, perhaps I could manage it!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rank badge is 3.25 inches across.

I didn’t include the rank badge window in that vest pattern, but I can give you the finished detentions of mine if you need.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoa wrote:
My rank badge is 3.25 inches across.

I didn’t include the rank badge window in that vest pattern, but I can give you the finished detentions of mine if you need.

I'll measure mine when I get home tonight. Haven't had decent time to put in work on this since my last post unfortunately but I am glad to have any info you can share!

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a tip from Sarah on what fabric she used for her Hoth vest so went and grabbed some for myself as well yesterday. At $2/yard, the price couldn't be beat.
The color is "Cream" and I took a picture of it next to the white pads of my jumpsuit.

I'm going to attempt to do the detail stitching on the pads tonight. It's a bit confusing to me as I basically see a kind of squiggly line going from one end to the other. Is this very bad drawing even close to what is needed? Can't draw to save my life so please keep that in mind. Sad

So if what I drew is correct, then that same pattern is top stitched onto all the pads and also on the side fronts, correct? Not sure why it's so difficult for me to get this. Sad

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up somewhat marking where I want the yoke line to be on the back. Does this look about right or does it need to be a sharper V in back?

The standard says " Back yoke seam, contoured to a slight V-shape, flat-felled with topstitching" so to me, it looks good as it is a slight V but not sure if I should put it down more?

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a lot done on the Bespin variant of this build and am very happy with it!

For the suit, I added the curved top stitching to the actual pads, replaced the front placket so it hits exactly at the neck and is straight across and not angled on the bottom, added the 3 lines of top stitching at the elbows and attached the hook and eyes to the collar and the belt.

Also did a hair and makeup test. If anything, I may add a few extensions to fill out the braids. Using my own hair works although they are a tad thin and not as big as Leia's. I know there is some leeway on hair. Would this be something that definitely needs to be adjusted for approval or is using my own hair fine?

For reference, here is how I did it.

I gathered my hair into a high ponytail.

I then divided the hair into three sections and braided the outside two sections.

I then took the two braided sections and looped them under and pinned them to under the ponytail.

I then took the middle section of hair and looped it around and under and then pinned it with a few bobby pins.

For reference, my hair at full length hits just past my back bra strap. IF I were to need additional size for the braids, I would attach hair extensions to the actual ponytail and then braid them into my own hair, similar to what is done for Padme's Mustafar hair, if anyone has done that.

Here are some detail shots of the work I did on the suit over this past weekend.

While I love the suit, it's not the most flattering on me so I look forward to being able to wear it with the vest.
Wink

Amanda was kind enough to let me borrow her pattern for the Hoth vest and I was able to trace it out and cut the fabric this weekend.
I found a great fabric at JoAnn's this weekend and at 60%, I got everything I needed for the project for $16.

For reference, this is the fabric I used:
https://www.joann.com/casa-collection-matte-satin-fabric-58-solid/zprd_16025439a.html#q=casa%20collection%20solid%20fabric&start=1

I bought 3 yards but ended up needing only 2 1/4 and that was also self lining it. I used the non shiny side and it looks great against the white.

I also sanded and primed the wrist communicator and rank badge so I will be painting it today and it should be set! Amanda suggested sewing magnets into the padding at the wrist to keep the communicator in place and I LOVE that idea. I actually have magnets left over from another project so I plan on attaching them once the painting is done so I can remove the communicator easily when I want to wear the Bespin variant. I'm picking up batting today and should hopefully finish the vest this week. Mr. Green

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Excited to see how that vest turns out.

Not sure if I'd bother doing that one for Jesse... I highly doubt it would ever be worn, given SoCal's heat.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Looks great! Excited to see how that vest turns out.

Not sure if I'd bother doing that one for Jesse... I highly doubt it would ever be worn, given SoCal's heat.

Thanks! Yes, it is definitely warm and the padding makes it more so. However, I'm thinking come October-January I will get a lot of use out of this one. Mr. Green

thejackal327 (Jackie Elwer-Bernal)
Takodana Base CO
Takodana Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a judge, so please take this with a huge grain of salt, but I can tell you that I had to re-work my patches to make the "S" pattern more diagonal. Maybe someone with more authority can speak to your stitching, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: