Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7e64e1b491347875b749c6b53263e554Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poe/po-zu/resistance boots for mod'ing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenebris (empathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Poe/po-zu/resistance boots for mod'ing Reply with quote

So the 'Poe pozu/well 2' style boot seems to be used a far bit throughout the new films. Mainly officers, transport pilots, and troopers. Fin and Poe in TLJ, ackbat in TFA and TLJ.

Colours do seem to vary between black, dark brown, tan

brance TFA

Poe TLJ

Finn TLJ

Commander D'acy TFA

Trooper TLJ

Ackbar TFA

The po-zu are very close match and are clearable, You can buy them direct from PO-ZU in brown or black but only in a size 7-12

https://po-zu.com/collections/star-wars-mens/products/poe-brown-mens

There was a good idea posted on the main Rl Forum about using an iron over damp tea towel to steam out the stamp on the heel. I tried it with my timberlands and it worked a treat...I just sanded the still slightly raised bit with superfine paper, like 260. Then dabbed a tiny bit of water based ecoflo on where the stamp was so deep it was slightly dis-coloured.

' If you take a damp dish towel and lay it across the leather and then iron it (mine is a steamer as well) you can get the embossed "STAR WARS" logo to relax and almost smooth out. '

Poe TLJ standards names these boots, but the ackbar TFA standards say ' Dark brown, leather (or leather like), flat soled boots, slightly shorter than knee length (over the calf) with a strap on the outside of the top.' I'ts looking from the mock standards like the generic yellow vest, yellow jacket and fleet officers will go the same way, but with a possible multiple option for knee with strap and the wraps.

So I've been thinking about how to accomodate people with smaller or bigger feet who need the Poe boots.
I've been trawling ebay and the web to try and find boots that are close, or might be convertable.

Crow props have just finished their Poe boot. They should be on the website soon, so not sure of sizes or price yet, but he said he was going to make for smaller feet.

The big problem if you want to get really close is the double 'tongue' bit and the toes, in theory you could glue on leather for the toes and cut the 'u' shape in the side and stitch or glue leather behind and add a strap at the top
I spoke to Timpsons (high street cobbler) and they can put the flat sole on the bottom, like rebbecca's luke boots for about £30.00 as its a chain I'm presuming that's the same country wide. (UK)

I'll stress none are perfect, but might help someone.

Oxygen boots, they would need the strap removing and a new strap at the top, leather dye on the stitching, but They are pretty good. They come in a few colours but the ones that might work are black, light brown, dark brown, tan and weathered tan

volga boots

rhone boots, might be a bit tall......I've ordered a pair so will update

piova might be a bit short, Ive ordered a pair to check, ill update

These are my boots, I think they came out fairly well.

Boots are Oxygen volga, stripped everything off, dyed with dark brown ecoflo waterstain. nappa toes and vecro straps are also dyed and stitched on with a leather needle, glued with ecoflo leather craft glue.

red or dead mary ellen boots might work with weathering and shortening?

Ugg have two older boots that have the flat sole and side detail, the kensington (the leather version) and the noira

Birkinstock farmington might be a good base, if you can find a cheap pair.

Dune have done a few calf length low wedge boots, so have next and clarks. I believe po-zu did a womens brown well 2 boot before they did the star wars ones, but I've not been able to find any......worth a search on ebay.

blowfish the olin, whisky, rocky or could make good boots for converting, straps etc would all have to be removed, you might have to sand the sole flat too. They also do a shorter boot that could work for transport pilots.

The earl, is discontinued, but a few have popped up on ebay.

Feel free to add anything you've found or thought of that might be helpful.

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, no Resistance members use black PoZu boots. They're all brown, including Poe's TLJ boots. They're just heavily weathered. The heavily photoshopped photos that are often seen have contributed to the misconception that Poe is wearing black boots, but that is incorrect. In good quality high res photos, the underlying brown is still visible. They're all brown boots, just darkened.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a base DCO I'd always advise people to follow the CRL's and if they they feel differently to use references to back that up.

Currently the Poe TLJ CRL's state:

4. Boots:
1. The boots are a calf high black or brown dyed to black boot, featuring a Velcro strap at the top and a vertical zipper on the inside. Boots have a flat sole

2. The screen worn boots are Po-Zu Well 2 boots, boots should be as close a match as possible if not the screen worn boots. Some Po-Zu boots have logos stamped on them. Every effort should be made to make that logo less pronounced

So you could use either for clearance, but also nice to know how to be more accuarate.So thanks for that Smile
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Agreed. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: