Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d8c56606117c9ad31644400d956c562dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X-wing helmet & chestbox from scratch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wampameat (Robert R. Carmichael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: X-wing helmet & chestbox from scratch Reply with quote

Hey all, about 4 years ago I managed to grab an original APH-6B flight helmet and then started working on making a copy of it to turn into the X-wing helmet. That first go around was not successful. Then I got into a Master's Degree program and pretty much shelved the X-wing project. I have since gone back to it.

I've molded the original helmet and made a plaster casting which I'll used to make the two halves for my vacuum forming machine. Here is some progress:

I have a little bit of repair/clean up to do before adding the mohawk, but I like how it has come along this time.

I also have a 3D printer which I'm using to print the chestbox design I'm creating on SketchUp as seen below. I used this photo and my fellow Central Base member let me borrow his chestbox as reference. I like to design in metric because that's what my printer uses and I'm a science teacher so I'm very comfortable with metric anyway. Mr. Green

Here is the template for aligning the box details:

And finally, here is my desired paint scheme for my helmet

Last edited by wampameat (Robert R. Carmichael) on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. how can i get pics in this thread?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links are missing the first image tag. They have the closing tag but not the opening tag. Smile

The code should look like this...

Code:
[img]http://www.host.com/image.jpg[/img]

Edit: Actually, those aren't proper image URL codes for image tags. They should end in an image code (.PNG, .JPG, .GIF, and so on), without such codes they wont appear. I'd just delete the "[/img]" from your URLs, which will turn them into regular links for people to click on.

For example...

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22365250_10154704783515518_6023793428067490529_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8bb8a93e58125a45f977c7dd69444667&oe=5B78BF1D

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, got everything fixed so at least those are links to the pictures in the first thread.

My3D printer has been acting up and I'm waiting on new parts before I can print the chest box base.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Your links are missing the first image tag. They have the closing tag but not the opening tag. Smile

The code should look like this...

Code:
[img]http://www.host.com/image.jpg[/img]

Edit: Actually, those aren't proper image URL codes for image tags. They should end in an image code (.PNG, .JPG, .GIF, and so on), without such codes they wont appear. I'd just delete the "[/img]" from your URLs, which will turn them into regular links for people to click on.

For example...

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22365250_10154704783515518_6023793428067490529_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8bb8a93e58125a45f977c7dd69444667&oe=5B78BF1D

Thanks, I thought I had gotten rid of the image tags, but apparently I missed the closing ones!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I fixed the first post with actual pictures embedded now. This will make it easier for everyone to see the progress.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started repairing the plaster casting. This is the initial repair, now I have to wait for this to dry, then sand it smooth. On the left is what came out of the mold where the bottom of the side of the helmet was missing, and on the right is what I added today to build that back up.

Next step is the mohawk and to repair my 3D printer to print the chest box.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's away! Now I just have to wait for it to dry, then a little sanding. Gotta add some more to the bottom of the back of the Mohawk. Next big step is molding the two halves in preparation for making the vacuum forming masters.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off the guides. There's definitely some cleanup that's needed, but I like how it's progressing. It needs to dry completely before doing more work. Hopefully letting it sit out in the Sun will help it to dry faster.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress on the chest box since I got my printer fixed. Although, had a little warping on the bottom in the front and right side, but that's fixable. Time to smooth it out.

Also got the Mohawk cap designed in 3D and will print that out soon.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked some more on the X-wing Helmet. Need to let this dry, then add some more to the base of the mohawk at the back of the helmet. After that will be the sanding and prep for the next molding process.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow and steady is the way to go, right? I'm getting frustrated that I'm taking so long to get this done, but I want to make sure it is done right and looks the way I want. "Patience, young padawan" keeps going through my head. LOL. Did a lot of sanding this morning and added some more putty to smooth out some more spots I noticed. The waiting for things to dry is just killing me.

I also 3D designed the leg flares and printed those.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to post that I 3D designed and printed the comm pad as well. Just need to smooth it out a little and paint it. The one on the left belongs to a friend for a reference/comparison.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on the X-wing helmet today. It is KILLING me how slow this is going, but I have to make sure I get it right. I printed the front Mohawk cap and test fit it on what I had as of this morning. As you can see from the first two pics, the Mohawk was too tall and it did not have the correct slope to match the cap. So, I remeasured the height of the Mohawk and sanded down to the new, correct height (as marked in sharpie in the 3rd & 4th pics). Next I added more putty to get the right slope from the top of the Mohawk to the helmet dome (marked out in sharpie in the 7th & 8th pics). The last 4 pics are my finished coatings and additions for today. TIme to play the "wait for it to dry before doing more sanding again" game.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started painting the leg flares a couple days ago along with the round greeblie for the chestbox.

I also had success vac forming the chestbox and have started to paint those as well. I have a friend out here who is also working on her pilot costume in the near future, so I'll be helping her out with her pieces. Here are the two chestboxes with the grey base coat down.

I'm hoping to have vac forming bucks for the helmet within the next two weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: