Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=acfda0eb2b096c4ff76f55bc4cab48acMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Canadian Chewbacca – A modified Dougie Fett
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qui-Gon Joe (Joseph Martin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a camelback that part of the water pouch is cool-gel stuff. Just refrigerate and it keeps both you and your water cool. May have to figure out how to incorporate it into my costume.

Brilliant!
Sparrow (Steve Goldsack)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my first troop with the Camelback installed. It was sweet being able to drink while hidden in costume, it made a huge difference in regards to staying hydrated. I was able to stay in costume almost an hour longer than normal.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got myself a Bowcaster. Bought if from Diamond State Props, weathered it and added a shoulder strap. All in all, I am very happy with it, especially as it only cost me $200.

It does have some inaccuracies, but 95% of the people out there will not be able to tell the difference. They will just see Chewbacca with his Bowcaster.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparrow wrote:
Finally got myself a Bowcaster. Bought if from Diamond State Props, weathered it and added a shoulder strap. All in all, I am very happy with it, especially as it only cost me $200.

It does have some inaccuracies, but 95% of the people out there will not be able to tell the difference. They will just see Chewbacca with his Bowcaster.

I read that you finally got your bowcaster , how long did it take to get it deliver to you ?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was about 1 1/2 months. So not to bad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the weight on it?

(I'm finding mine a little heavy for long troops)
Sparrow (Steve Goldsack)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only 3.4 pounds. So it has some weight to it but can easily be carried.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made another modification to my Chewie. A while back I installed a Camelbak on the back of my shoulder pads so as to be able to drink while in costume and stay hydrated. It worked great expect for it gave Chewie a hump.

I hated the hump back look but loved being able to drink while in costume. So what to do? One day I looked down and realized my pouch is empty. Could I put the water in there? So I removed the Camelbak from the shoulder pads and put the water in the pouch.

Then ran a tube up the rear of the belt to the waist where it meets a tube attached to the rear of the shoulder pads, going over the shoulder and to the mouth. Inside the helmet I place a clip to hold it in place.

I tested it out at an event this past weekend and it worked perfectly. I was able to drink while in costume and no one had any idea. The only thing one could see was a tiny bit of clear tube coming out of the rear of the pouch. As it is in the rear, where no one is looking it is basically unseen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea! that will be very useful for Chewies/Wookiees in hotter climates
Sparrow (Steve Goldsack)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a few changes to the mask interior. I had too much lining in it so I removed all the lining except for around the eyes so it breathes better. Added some extra padding on the forehead.

I also installed two fans, one at the bottom near the jaw and one up top. Both will help with air flow.

In order to fit the fan up top I tucked the battery pack inside the top padding.

As I was working on the fans I noticed the hair on the face was getting thin in places. I have had Chewie for almost 2 years to I decided it was time to give him a facial and touch him up a bit. From a distance he looks fine, but up close one can see the wear / tear / thinning, especially the moustache and lower lip. Two years of wear has thinned the hair out a fair bit. Initially the hair was glued onto the face. I decided I would fill in these areas with some hair punching.

It is a very time consuming process but the end result looks great. Hair punching is basically punching each individual hair into the mask, and it requires lots of hair for a nice full look. I have a lot of NFT fur leftover so I have lots of hair to work with. The mustache was getting very thin:

The mustache with the hair half done. You can see how bad the lower lip is looking. Lots of hair loss.

The mustache and lower lip are all done. It now looks a lot more full.

With the lower mouth done I noticed the upper part of the head was looking thin.

It is especially worn and thinning around the eyes

I cut a piece of hair to lay over top of the upper eye, glued it on, then punched in hair around the rest of the eye to fill it in. Also added hair right above the nose in-between the eyes.

Glued on some additional patches of hair to the forehead as well as the ear to add some additional fullness.

The sides on the nose needed some filling in as well.

After several days of hair punching, the end result looks great, nice and full!

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kindly for posting and sharing your mask maintenance, improvements, and modifications - it is greatly appreciated.

Definitely like the idea of the fans inside the under skull of the mask- that will be a blessing during troops! Does your face or forehead touch the fan casing?

MTFBWY
Sparrow (Steve Goldsack)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Great costuming is all about the details. My wife is repeatedly "Aren't you done with that thing yet?" It is all about placement with the fans, so no I am not touching the fans at all, but barely...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread looks so useful, but none of the photos work anymore ! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: