Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3dc91f0d151e2f6aef7a0d3618ec1fa8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mustafar with a deadline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Mustafar with a deadline Reply with quote

Hello all.

So, my sister (Lutetia) and I are making her a Mustafar outfit, which needs to be ready before May, since she is growing out of her other costumes. If possible we'd love to get it done before the first weekend in April.

So, here are the first few pictures of our mock up of the bodice. Please share feedback, as we hope to get most of the work done this week and would love to fix any mistakes we may have missed. Smile

Front:
20180326_180046

It should be noted we do all our corrections on the right side (left of picture) and then mirror them to the left side.

20180326_180054

20180326_180059

20180326_180104

We have already added another centimeter to the edge of the shoulder as we both agreed it wasn't quite wide enough to go just over the edge of the shoulder. But now does it look?
The neckline hasn't been worked on, but we will do so when we get to the collar. We'll probably do the skirt first.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Last edited by Lora Skywalker () on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the shoulder issue you mentioned, the lines and fit look really nice so far.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I've been busy with making costumes since Easter, so this didn't get updated. Had a deadline last friday, so now that is done with, the focus is back on this. We've got two weeks to finish, and hopefully most should be done this weekend.

But first an update of what has happened since then.

We started experimenting with the skirt. The first didn't put enough fabric in the inverted V and over the belly, but I found a form that would after a bit of fiddling around.
Notice how the fabric is pulled too much here:
Mustafar

Then we got to this instead:
Mustafar

Mustafar
We started with one back skirt, but later split it according to the references. That also means we can use a longer invisible zipper and that will make getting into and out of this costume so much easier.

Collars... yeah, that was fun. Went through a few iterations to try out different shapes.
First:
Mustafar

Second:
Mustafar

Mustafar

Third is just a longer second:
IMG_0156

Looks nice and sharp, but too tight.

Fourth and final:
IMG_0161

IMG_0164

IMG_0166
(Please ignore how the costume sits; it wasn't properly closed in back for these shots).

IMG_0167

IMG_0168

I think we got it right with this collar, so that is this is the pattern we're sticking with:
IMG_0171

IMG_0172

We shortened the skirts, but kept them intentionally too long. We will adjust to the right length once the actual dress/tunic is done.
IMG_0176

IMG_0177
(Shorter in front than in back).

IMG_0179

It should be noted the skirts totally are just over a half circle and I wouldn't recommend doing a skirt more voluminous than that. We've got plenty of volume with this.

Front skirt folded in half:
IMG_0188

Also made a pants pattern by drawing on and cutting up some other pants. These are made from lycra.
IMG_0182

IMG_0183

And of course, there's the brooches! We got the 3D print from Thingiverse. It's not a 100 percent accurate print, but it does capture the feel of the original and have the right size.
It got a first round of sanding, then primer and then many layers of this:
IMG_0184

Starting out:
IMG_0193

After four rounds of sanding and spraying:
IMG_0223

And the newest round (fifth round) have left it looking like this:
IMG_0228

I plan on doing some more rounds, but it is time consuming. The general guideline says nine rounds to really get rid of those printing lines, so hopefully I only got four more rounds of sanding and spraying to go. Razz
It is starting to look nice and smooth, but I have to say it is difficult to sand around all the little flowers and into the nooks. If you can get this cast in bronze it will be so much easier.
I have bought some black wash that I plan to age and weather the brooches with, but I will test it on our test piece first.

And finally, two different fabric options for pants. We are not thinking the lightest one will be a good choice.
Mustafar

Mustafar

Well, that should be all for now. Smile I have to buy sew in magnets tomorrow for attaching the collar, and then we need to get cranking. We still have to make a sleeve/gauntlet pattern, and I have to transfer the skirt patterns to pattern paper.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did get a lot done during the weekend. Smile I didn't expect us to get done, but we got a good way towards it.

First: here is the full front skirt pattern, about to be transferred to the fabric.
IMG_0231

Pants are done, and have the top stitching on both sides of the front and back seams.
IMG_0233

This was my solution for hiding the sew on magnets; adding a second layer along the edge of the collar. We will not be fully lining this, because we both hate to line things and we have a deadline.
IMG_0234

It took a while, but all the metal plates are sewn on the center front and back pieces. The magnets themselves will go on the collar piece.
IMG_0236

The small brooch will also have magnets clued on and attach to these. Smile

I also got the collar sewn up, including the top stitching along the edge.
IMG_0239

IMG_0240

The most annoying seams (the seams over the breasts) are also done and top stitched.
IMG_0241

And we got work started on the sleeves/gauntlets.
IMG_0242

The Naboo symbol will need a little more work, but this is the general size.
IMG_0243

And for those curious the brooches are on seventh sanding/painting round. I'm officially tired of sanding. But most print lines are either gone or not very visible now.

If anyone want to share how they did their hair/wig, then please do so. Smile

Yumi ()
French Base CO
French Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job so far ! Well done, my opinion I would make the collar slightly bigger, especially on the back. That's all, everything seems fine so far.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually got finished and approved, but I have been doing other things, so didn't get the thread updated. Rolling Eyes

After an couple of very intense days where I got really tired of sewing and hemming, we finally got it done! Or course, we have a list of wanted upgrades (we are perfectionists), but we are quite happy with how it turned out.

The brooches got a black wash to weather and darken them just a bit:
IMG_0245

The left sleeve with the Naboo symbol:
IMG_0248

This has been painted, but an embroidered version is a future upgrade.

Bodice held together with needles:
IMG_0251

IMG_0252

Boot(s):
IMG_0255

Really, annoying, inverted V. I hand stitched the top of it, because that was the only way to get it nice.
IMG_0257

Pattern for the sleeve. It starts tight around the upper arm, then widens around the elbow, tightens again towards wrist, then widens around the hand.
IMG_0258

Pants with pockets! And an elastic to adjust the tightness above the stomach.
IMG_0265

The pockets can hold a cellphone and a credit card, and because of their placement it cannot be seen at all when in costume. Very Happy

First attempt at the hair style:
20180428_234653

Second styling:
IMG_0270

The wig has been restyled, um, three times since then to something we like much better.

A close up of the seam on the pants:
20180428_234815

Harness, brooches, seams on bodice:
20180428_234830

And finally the roster image:
IMG_0271

Like I said we are happy with the result, but the harness will be upgraded, and so will the collar, I think. The braid pushes down on it, so some good interfacing would be helpful in keeping it standing properly.
We both recommend the hidden pockets on the side of the stomach for any costumer, who likes to have pockets and being able to carry their phone with them. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: