Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6fa14e02f667fc051e8140f843736819Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

U wing helmet build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtyler3 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am one small step forward....

The adapter to attache the mic needed to be redone as I messed up the length.
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing the progress you are making. You seem to be picking up all the details in the helmet. Looking forward to seeing the next steps.

Best wishes
Andy
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Got the replacement visor cover in, started working on the central mohawk...why does this feel like I am making this a lot harder than it needs to be?

The plan is to use this as a base to fiberglass the item...
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visor update:

I made the changes to the orientation of the mounts as per my eyes on the available photos. I filled in my holes and kept the originals to show the difference:

original position:

Newest position:

Notice the change to the alignment with the ear cup. It runs more parallel to the curve now:

Here is the new visor position. The bottom of the stock visor cover is pretty close to the rubber edging:

And a rough shot of the picture and my changes. Notice the face of the visor cover is more horizontal than the vertical if the mounts had been in the stock position:

This is as far as I am going to go with this mod of the visor and its position. I am 100% sure now they did not use this base helmet for the U wing, I need to check into the SPH-5. I am going to continue this build with this helmet but to be exact... it is not the right base.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... I figured it out. I am working on an SPH-3 helmet.

I thought I had purchased an SHP-4 but it is not. That is why I kept running into these subtle differences that were driving me crazy....
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

One small step closer. Mic boom is done.

This is my best guess based on:

I cut out the bushing that holds in the mic boom from the original part.

At some point perhaps we will get real detailed pictures. If anybody sees something please let me know.

SPH-4 helmet has arrived. It is much closer in profile than the SPH-3. But now I have a different problem that I ordered an extra large to fit my head. but my parts are for a regular.

Been tossing about ideas on how to complete the crests. Going to try a few this week once I get that material in.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little fun.

Removed the original mic wiring as the the end pins are much older than the SPH-4 communication set up and wired in the plug for the ear gear in an effort to try to maintain the function of the mic. Even was able to reuse the wire clamp hidden under the flange:) My soldering skills suck.

EDIT:

Also contacted VanOaksPropFoundry on etsy to make the decals for the helmet. One red and one yellow phoenix for the front of the visor cover (options) and the circle with the lines one. In the mail and will post pics once I get them in.

These ones:
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Been slowly working on the central crest. Here is the roughed out first pass:

Need to tighten up quite a bit, sides are straight though. Started at 3 inches across, I thin kit is 3.25 now. Started with 9mm in the front, rising to 10 across the top and then coming back in to 5mm at the bottom of the back. I think it is at 10mm, 11mm, and 7mm at the back right now.

Still working on how to use this as a base for molding in fiberglass....

Made the frame from 3d printed shapes I designed, then used expanding foam to fill it in and give it rigidity, sanded to shape, then bondo, bondo, bondo to provide the actual part.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Switched gears a bit as my printer came in and I spent a ton of time getting the setting right. I am working on a ROTJ Y wing print, B wing print, and soon an A wing print. I will be back on sanding bondo here soon.

For anyone out there who cares about the U wing helmet or is remotely interested in my project here:)
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtyler3 wrote:
Update:

Switched gears a bit as my printer came in and I spent a ton of time getting the setting right. I am working on a ROTJ Y wing print, B wing print, and soon an A wing print. I will be back on sanding bondo here soon.

For anyone out there who cares about the U wing helmet or is remotely interested in my project here:)

I’m interested. Any more progress? Smile
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks. I have not stopped on this project

I decided to learn myself how to 3D model so that I could have complete control over my future needs. I spent a few weeks modeling the central crest, all done and implemented, and then i spent another few weeks learning how to model the side crests, (which are of another whole level of complexity). So the long and short of it is I have the basic modeling done, My printer took a poodoo and am waiting replacement parts. Tomorrow they arrive and if they solve my issues I will print out the side crests (PLA) to make sure they work, identify and fix any issues.

Until/unless we ever see the real deal on these, I am pretty sure I am as close as can be. Of course, anyone who sees something PLEASE point it out sos I can fix my poodoo.

I will send all of my files to anyone who wants them, but, for the crests, remember I designed these to be cut into the helmet for the SPH-4 larger size, not the regular.

Central Crest:

My issue was that I was not satisfied knowing that one side of the crest curve was different from the other. Drove me freaking nuts. Bondo, sand, bondo, sand still wasn't the same. So I turned to 3D modeling to ensure that either side was the same. Please research the curvature on what few pictures we have and let me know if I am too much or too little.

I hope to have a complete helmet (if the part fix is correct for my printer) in the next few days. Will post pics and my next move.....which will be focused on correct colors. I am sure hoping the community will help on this. I SUCK at colors...ask my wife:)
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Printer is up and running again! About time.

I printed out the side crest final version I designed. This one is not the final print as I wanted to make sure it fit properly etc and the print quality is not that great. I will reprint it once I am ready to attach to the helmet.

The only picture I know of that shows the curves and details is in the back (notice there is a small lip on the inside of the side crest, for example)

I think I got it about 95% there. it looks like the side crest outside edge is a little more curved downwards than mine, but I shudder at the thought of redoing the 3D model....

Unless anyone out there sees issues I am going to call the crests good to go and start back on the visor cover.

Due to the change in orientation of the visor mounts, it put a real strain on the visor cover. So I cut it to release the strain. The result was one side actually pointed up and away:) so I need to rebuild it. Once I get that done I can shape it, then complete the visor slide covers and then cut the area out behind the slide covers and finalize where the side crests are mounted.

The L shaped line on the left side is the original edges of the visor cover:)
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. I tried to learn some 3D modelling skills but I didn’t get far.

My original theory about how the crests were formed is that they may have used the helmet to shape a separate plastic sheet which was then sliced on either side to make the slots.

Anyhow your shape seems to follow this very closely. The reference photo you’re using is one of my favourites.

Keep going. You’re doing great!

Cheers
Andy
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Crests are almost done. A lot more finishing work than I expected, more to go. if I had done a better job on modeling of the side crests I would not have as much to do. But Hey....

for the front visor cover, I settled on 50mm face. I did a number of comparison measurements from all of the pics we have and the span was 42-55mm. Interesting they were not all the same. I figured 50 was right in the middle thus acceptable. Tomorrow will start removing material.

I contacted the other guy I know of who did a build (not the Hale kits) to see if we could collaborate on the measurements but he didn't respond.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Visor cover is done. I ended up adding materials to the end tabs and the fronts from the other failed attempts and getting it ground down and sanded to what seems to me to be the closest I can see.

I feel ok with the curve of the front face, it is way too thick since I built it up from essentially a bunch of parts.... It kind of looks too wide on the face but it is in the middle of what I measured.... The ends of the visor cover are the same size as the stock slide mounts... those I need to start modifying again to reduce their height from double visor mounts to the single visor mounts.

Anyone see issues on this? Critical eyes please...

Stopped by Home Dumpo and got a ton of color swatches to see if I can get a close match on the helmet paint.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: