Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=36c91ada2420c03dfd76dab6105d2c6eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jakku Rey WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Jakku Rey WIP Reply with quote

Fellow RL member rab96 has been super awesome and kind enough to commission the soft parts for my Jakku Rey - shirt, pants, body wrap, belt, and wrist cuff.

I've already got the Pozu boots, and got a pouch and arm bandage wraps from Jen, who's a member of Echo Base. Once I receive the soft parts from Rebecca, I'll tea dye the arm wraps so that they match the shades that she obtained. I'm just a tad worried that the pouch might be too big for me but I' going to judge once I have the whole costume put together.

I'm planning on building the staff from scratch, using 3D printed and hardware parts. I haven't started this yet, since I've been super busy with my internship and final year of graduate school. I do have the Black Series Force FX Rey saber, so I'll be excited to have that as an additional prop.
(Is this still not allowed to be used in the action pose submission photos?)

I have been wanting to do Rey for quite some time now, and I can't wait to see it all put together! I'll keep posting updates here as the costume comes together. Smile
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ! Welcome here !

Yes the lightsaber is still not accepted in the action shot by our standard, as it will put your costume in Jedi category (which is not for Jakku Rey, it's Rebel Supporter). But you can add an additional pic in your profile Smile

You have done well so far for your costume ! I'm curious to see the rest. Color of the pant and shirt looks good, but the tabards are a tad dark compare to the rest. Right color may be not too dark and be taupe/tan mixed. The pant should be the darkest garment of all.

Don't hesitate to take a lot of pic in natural and indoor light. It will help you (and us) to judge your costume color during the process. I've remember doing 3-4 dye bath(very light, only 10-20sc) of the tabards before getting it right. I've put all the shirt, pant and tabard on my garden and let it hang on a cord to see how the color looked on sunlight. First time it looked too purple, so I added more tan, and this tone disappeared.

I hope this tips will help you. Saddly I think yours need to be fade a bit. Put more taupe and I think the result will be really good.
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallica wrote:
Hello ! Welcome here !

Yes the lightsaber is still not accepted in the action shot by our standard, as it will put your costume in Jedi category (which is not for Jakku Rey, it's Rebel Supporter). But you can add an additional pic in your profile Smile

You have done well so far for your costume ! I'm curious to see the rest. Color of the pant and shirt looks good, but the tabards are a tad dark compare to the rest. Right color may be not too dark and be taupe/tan mixed. The pant should be the darkest garment of all.

Don't hesitate to take a lot of pic in natural and indoor light. It will help you (and us) to judge your costume color during the process. I've remember doing 3-4 dye bath(very light, only 10-20sc) of the tabards before getting it right. I've put all the shirt, pant and tabard on my garden and let it hang on a cord to see how the color looked on sunlight. First time it looked too purple, so I added more tan, and this tone disappeared.

I hope this tips will help you. Saddly I think yours need to be fade a bit. Put more taupe and I think the result will be really good.

Thank you! Although I have to give the credit to rab96 since she's been making and dying all of these parts. She is going to be putting the garments through a wash which will hopefully fade them a bit. She's also going to darken the shade of the pants as well, so I think once that's done the tabbard shouldn't look as dark next to them. I was going to give the arm wraps a tea stain since I've been told that's the best way to get a good color. I'm going to test with some swatches of the bandage wrap first to see which color goes best with the rest of the costume for consistency.
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not touch the pant, as the color looks quite perfect next to the shirt. The main problem to fix is the tabards I think. I fear by darkening th pant, it will make the costume colors too dark.

For the arm wrap you can do a tea bath yes. Personally I've prefered to put black acrylic paint on half of the bandage to keep the contrast between dark/white, and this is because I didn't want to make it appear yellowish (which tend to happen with tea/coffee bath). Arm wrap are white but weavily weathered.
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt and wrist cuff update.

carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more photos. My Alice clip arrived for the pouch today, so I'll have to get it weathered and attached. I'm only concerned about the size of the bag being proportionate since it was given to me by another member. I'll have to see once the whole build comes together.

carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the pants have to go through another dye job to make them darker. They're coming out green as seen below, but rab96 was working on fixing that as of yesterday. The top pieces look PERFECT! Smile

I've also just received word that my staff's 3D parts have begun printing. It's all coming together very soon!
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing job you've done so far !! The colors looks nice, but I agree you need to darken the pant, as it should have no green undertone.
The wrist cuff and the belt looks fabulous ! Amadalia

It's probably a light issue, but I suggest you to weathered more your shirt with black acrylic paint or even sand textured spray paint(it has sand particules in it). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N3E9Y2/ref=twister_B002LSIFMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (I used Desert bisque color) I put it on my shirt and almost all my scavenger costume and the result is spot on. I didn't try tea or coffee bath as I was affaid it gave a yellowish undertone to the shirt (it's not accurate as Rey's is white and heavily weathered). Sand bisque is great because it leaves real sand particules on yours fabric, as if it has been in the desert

Can't wait to see the new updates ! #scavengeOn !
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallica wrote:
This is an amazing job you've done so far !! The colors looks nice, but I agree you need to darken the pant, as it should have no green undertone.
The wrist cuff and the belt looks fabulous ! Amadalia

It's probably a light issue, but I suggest you to weathered more your shirt with black acrylic paint or even sand textured spray paint(it has sand particules in it). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N3E9Y2/ref=twister_B002LSIFMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (I used Desert bisque color) I put it on my shirt and almost all my scavenger costume and the result is spot on. I didn't try tea or coffee bath as I was affaid it gave a yellowish undertone to the shirt (it's not accurate as Rey's is white and heavily weathered). Sand bisque is great because it leaves real sand particules on yours fabric, as if it has been in the desert

Can't wait to see the new updates ! #scavengeOn !

Yes, Rebecca is working on getting the green undertone out of the pants. Once that's finished she'll be sending it my way soon.
I'll definitely get that spray for weathering it all. Thanks for the link too!
I'm very excited to see this all come together. My staff parts are being 3D printed by a friend in the legion so I'll be working on that as soon as I have all of the pieces. Smile
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you'll order it I also strongly suggest you to get the aged iron color (black). It will give some metal look to your staff and hide the 3D impression leftover. It will leave a nice textured sensation under the touch too and will not look like plastic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N3C6EM/ref=twister_B002LSIFMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Put the primer first, then a grey coat, some silverchrome to get the metal look and then the iron aged. You'll not be disappointed with the result Cool
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my parts! Everything looks great! Just needs some good weathering, and I have to find a way to keep the side bag from sagging down.
The staff build is next! Smile

Loren ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stiffened my bag with spray starch and used a box to help it keep its shape. That helped a lot with the sagging!
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got some work done on my staff and NN-14 blaster. Smile

The staff parts are 3D printed from Thingiverse. A friend of mine had a printer and kindly printed the parts with the exception of the coiled/ribbed tubes, since they would take up a lot of printing time and filament. For the ribbed tubing parts, I went to Home Depot and bought black electrical wiring that I will glue and wrap around the sections where the tubing would be. The other parts are the bronze clasps, rings, and buckles for the strap, which I'll be tackling after the staff itself is finished.

Each of the 3D parts got a coat of primer, then two thin coats of hammered paint to give it a metal look and texture. The next coat will be a flat black paint, and then I have several acrylics paints that I will water down and cover the parts with to give them a more weathered look.

The pole itself is a 1" EMT conduit pole. I initially bought 1" PVC piping, and did not realize that the 1" is the inside diameter, and therefore too big for the staff pieces to fit on. The 3/4" was too small, so I then went with the EMT conduit, which was only $8.00. The associate even helped me cut it to the size I needed. These 3D parts fit nice and snug over the pole, but I'll be glueing them on once the pole and pieces are completely painted and weathered.

And finally, I bought a 3D printed kit for Rey's NN-14 blaster. This was super easy to paint and assemble. Just gave the parts a primer coat, then the silver metallic, except for the handle pieces which were painted flat black. Putting it together took me five minutes. I just need to weather it and glue on some tacks/brads along the body to give it a finished look.

Everything is finally coming along! I am hoping to finish the staff very soon, and then just need to give my shirt, tabards, and pants some weathering. Very Happy
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NN-14 blaster is done!

I finally weathered the shirt as well.

The missing piece is finishing my staff, but I'm contemplating submitting without it since it is optional. Does the staff have to be "judged?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: